Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM Concept Drop off panorama or 25 Lagoon

mipster

Ok people, I've been going back and forth on this for about a month or so. I need the community's help on this one because apparently I'm completely indecisive about this one.

So up here in Canada, the Lagoon retails for $325.80 and the drop off is $458.95. That's Canadian dollars of course.

Part of my dilemma is they's both beautiful and have different interest factors. For the drop off, the cabinet I would put it on is the perfect size. The lagoon, I would have to have a custom countertop made to make it the right size. This would narrow the price gap. The cabinet is the right width, but only 15 inches deep and the lagoon needs 20 inches. Would the 2.5 inch over hang with the counter top be of structural concern?

The lagoon offers a bit more space in the back for stuff, but honestly not that much to make it a huge difference I think.

They have extremely different style options for aquascaping, the drop off being limited to a drop off (which is admittedly awesome) and the lagoon with the sexy depth giving so many options to play with.

I'm a bit nervous about the acrylic of the drop off (I've never had an acrylic tank) and all I hear about them being crazy easy to scratch, and I've see the low iron glass of the lagoon in person which is beautiful.

Help me nano-reef community, you're my only hope!

If you are ready to be very careful with cleaning acrylic, get the drop off. Even people not into the hobby think the drop off is a cool tank.

You can get pretty creative with aquascaping the drop off as well.

Unfortunately both is not an option in my shoe box apartment lol

I've read that the tunze nano mag cleaners are awesome for use on acrylic aquariums. Is that true? I'm willing to be careful, but as I've not had an acrylic tank before I'm not sure exactly what "careful" exactly pertains to except don't get sand stuck in your mag cleaner and put a massive scratch across the whole thing.

I like the base, I think it kindof finishes the whole thing off. And it puts as a better viewing level for where I would be putting it. Though you saying you scrapped up a glass aquarium makes me nervous about having an acrylic one. Are they really as easy to scratch as people say? What's the best way to care for them properly?

I do like that with the drop off I wouldn't have to order and add a new counter top to the cabinet I'm using, it would fit the space better and it is a pretty damn cool tank. I with there were more build threads out there. I've only seen one or two so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Both glass and acrylic can scratch and easily.

For acrylics always use cleaning products designed for acrylic tanks to avoid issues.

I like the drop off look, its very unique. I would ultimately go with a tank that will be properly supported by the stand you have

Ok people, I've been going back and forth on this for about a month or so. I need the community's help on this one because apparently I'm completely indecisive about this one.

So up here in Canada, the Lagoon retails for $325.80 and the drop off is $458.95. That's Canadian dollars of course.

Part of my dilemma is they's both beautiful and have different interest factors. For the drop off, the cabinet I would put it on is the perfect size. The lagoon, I would have to have a custom countertop made to make it the right size. This would narrow the price gap. The cabinet is the right width, but only 15 inches deep and the lagoon needs 20 inches. Would the 2.5 inch over hang with the counter top be of structural concern?

The lagoon offers a bit more space in the back for stuff, but honestly not that much to make it a huge difference I think.

They have extremely different style options for aquascaping, the drop off being limited to a drop off (which is admittedly awesome) and the lagoon with the sexy depth giving so many options to play with.

I'm a bit nervous about the acrylic of the drop off (I've never had an acrylic tank) and all I hear about them being crazy easy to scratch, and I've see the low iron glass of the lagoon in person which is beautiful.

Help me nano-reef community, you're my only hope!

Who is selling the drop off out of curiosity, I've been trying to find one in Ontario. Honestly I would go with the 25g Lagoon. Cheaper with more water volume!

I would have a tough time with this decision as well - have you made a choice yet?

I personally love the lagoon - but I can only have 1 larger tank at a time. When I retire my 40br setup I'll probably get a lagoon 50 - but that's because I like to do a lot of DIY and it's easier to DIY on a simple rectangle/cube tank. Get this if you like lots of sand bed and minimalist scapes.

On the other hand the drop off tank is really cool in it's own right. If you like having a unique tank then there's no question you should get the drop off. If you're a clever aquascaper (or you need the tank to force you into an interesting scape) then IMO there's a LOT of truly awesome possibilities. The format of this tank I think forces you to make an interesting aquascape - but it's slightly biased toward height so there will be less sand bed available. Get this if you like unique rock scapes and things that are different.

I was in the same place you are last week. I just ordered a lagoon myself. I did see the drop off in person at one of my LFS and was definitely wowed by it. I almost regretted my purchase of the lagoon but something tells me that after a year or so... the wow may wear off. So I went with the lagoon mainly because I felt that the drop off would limit the options for aquascaping. So I went with the devill I know. I am sure you cannot go wrong with either one. Glass box of water you get to put corals in :D

• 2 weeks later...

We were in the same place. My LFS got the IM floor models. For us, it came down to acrylic and volume. We went with the lagoon. I hate acrylic.

The decision would have been far more difficult if it was glass.

• 3 weeks later...

Just by looking at Gena's, you never how much you miss the surface area to place corals.... until you've dropped $450 canadian on a panorama. I'm all about the lagoon now!!

...and I have a 19"h x 13"l x 13"d. so when you value the area of sand you have for overcrowding with corals, an inch or two is like a mile of placement options!

burtbollinger

i'm about to pull trigger on the 25 lagoon. my 2 cents is the drop off tanks are neat but in a year or two, wont be as cool or classic as a simple shallow box. i see a drop off and I think, 'wow, thats KINDA cool...but not cool enough to buy....

also, the acrylic vs. glass...makes the decision even easier.

I think the lagoon is the better option over all. after seeing the drop off tank, i can foresee various issues that were already mentioned.

The lagoon is a really nice tank.

I'm converting a 20l into an AIO. Could've probably spent the same amount building this on a lagoon... or a sump system. But I keep thinking, 20 gallons, ehh if the Lagoon can do it, so can I!!

Archived