Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rescuing a Coral w/pics

Minidoll

So, I found this little pathetic dying coral at a LFS last week. I think it's an acan. What little bit of flesh that was there was extremely colorful under the blue lights. They wanted $20 for it! I offered $5, they countered with $10. Ok, I'll take it. I brought it home, acclimated and dipped it. No brown jelly or pests that I could see. Glad to see that. So I've been feeding it everyday and it's getting better! The colors are amazing on this little guy. I'm hoping it's a rainbow acan. Maybe someone out there might know. Hope the cell phone pics are clear enough.

post-87572-0-92032500-1474758036_thumb.jpg

post-87572-0-37602000-1474758070_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That's what I've been feeding it. Just bought the V2O soft freeze mysis and their reef food as well. Apparently there's probiotics and vitamin C in their food. That should help, I think. Thanks for the id and the help! I'm hopeful that this turns out to be a gorgeous coral that I normally wouldn't be able to afford. :-)

That would be fantastic! So pretty! It will be fun to see it what it will look like when it's all grown out and healthy. Every day it gets a little more puffy and colorful. Still has a long way to go. I will post updates on the progress just in case anyone is interested. I'll have my husband teach me how to use his fancy camera so I can post better photos.

• Like 1
ReefSafeSolutions

That's what I've been feeding it. Just bought the V2O soft freeze mysis and their reef food as well. Apparently there's probiotics and vitamin C in their food. That should help, I think. Thanks for the id and the help! I'm hopeful that this turns out to be a gorgeous coral that I normally wouldn't be able to afford. :-)

They wanted $20 for a dying coral?? Wow. I'm glad you got it for $10, but bummed they wouldn't take $5! I hope it turns out to be a high end coral as well, I'm in the same boat you are. I see corals going for $200+ (some of the scolys or whatever they're called) and could never do it. Heck, this weekend one store was selling Australian Gold Torches for $50 a head...super good deal! But I still couldn't make myself buy one.

Looking forward to seeing how this little Acan grows! Nice find!

• Like 1
ReefSafeSolutions

Australian Gold torch for 50$ A head!? I need to go back to my LFS And snag one then. They're selling them right now for 30$ a head

See at $30 a head, I could probably talk myself into that...why not pick up a couple for me! Haha. Some of the coral pricing is ridiculous. The owner of the shop said he got them wholesale for $50 a head...but then why sell them for...$50 a head..?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would post an update on my little rescued acan. It's getting bigger every week. I was so excited to see that there were two more little heads buried in the skeleton. I'm loving the colors, so amazing! This is a better quality photo than the first ones I posted but you can still see a huge difference between then and now. Yay!

post-87572-0-12437000-1477881702_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

very nice coral! I got a free acan lord because it just wasnt doing well in its new tank when the owner upgraded and he didn't have time to give it some tlc.

I was surprised how much fun I had saving it lol

Great colors! A little love got you a helluva steal!

• Like 1

very nice coral! I got a free acan lord because it just wasnt doing well in its new tank when the owner upgraded and he didn't have time to give it some tlc.

I was surprised how much fun I had saving it lol

Great colors! A little love got you a helluva steal!

Thank you! I wish I could rescue more corals but I don't have room for a frag tank. I could really get into it if I had. I'm that person who takes home the "mostly" dead plants at garden centers. Sometimes they are too far gone but some have turned into lovely pieces. So rewarding and fun!

ReefSafeSolutions

Thought I would post an update on my little rescued acan. It's getting bigger every week. I was so excited to see that there were two more little heads buried in the skeleton. I'm loving the colors, so amazing! This is a better quality photo than the first ones I posted but you can still see a huge difference between then and now. Yay!

That looks fantastic! I have no idea how much that would normally cost, but I'd say you snagged yourself a VERY nice acan...awesome!!

• Like 1

That looks fantastic! I have no idea how much that would normally cost, but I'd say you snagged yourself a VERY nice acan...awesome!!

Thanks! I have no idea either. Of course, I'm hoping it will turn out be an acan I would never be able to afford. LOL

• Like 1
ReefSafeSolutions

Thanks! I have no idea either. Of course, I'm hoping it will turn out be an acan I would never be able to afford. LOL

I mean...I can't definitively ID that acan, but comparing it to similar acans here: http://www.acanlord.comI'd say your hopes could very well be confirmed!

• Like 1

you've done wonders!

I have rescued a few corals myself and they have in turn done wonderful. I am busy rescuing one of my own corals that I nearly wiped out this summer. Its going to be a long, long road to recovery for this one.

I am surprised they would want 20 for a dying coral, even 10 is steep. Keep up the magic <3

• Like 1

Awesome, great job!

• Like 1

you've done wonders!

I have rescued a few corals myself and they have in turn done wonderful. I am busy rescuing one of my own corals that I nearly wiped out this summer. Its going to be a long, long road to recovery for this one.

I am surprised they would want 20 for a dying coral, even 10 is steep. Keep up the magic <3

Thanks, Sunstar! Yeah, this LFS doesn't have the best reputation but I have a few nice pieces from them. Since you have some experience in rescuing corals, I'm sure you latest will bounce back in time.

Awesome, great job!

Thanks!

Awesome save! I love buying cheap beat up coral and fixing them up:)

Thanks, Sunstar! Yeah, this LFS doesn't have the best reputation but I have a few nice pieces from them. Since you have some experience in rescuing corals, I'm sure you latest will bounce back in time.

Thanks!

Eh, sometimes I think I am flailing blindly and just operating on dumb luck.

The rescues I got from my former work, probably can be found forever homes soon. One is as big as my fist now. I got a few rescues. I need to get better at understanding chemistry. Its the maths that throw me. I am extremely nervous with maths. I can do math, I just... "fear" it. Its irrational.

• Like 1

Eh, sometimes I think I am flailing blindly and just operating on dumb luck.

The rescues I got from my former work, probably can be found forever homes soon. One is as big as my fist now. I got a few rescues. I need to get better at understanding chemistry. Its the maths that throw me. I am extremely nervous with maths. I can do math, I just... "fear" it. Its irrational.

I totally get the fear of math! I am an artist (my avatar is one of my pieces) so I'm a very right brain user but give me a math problem and I fall apart. My husband helps me all the time with math. It's what he does everyday at work. :-)

I totally get the fear of math! I am an artist (my avatar is one of my pieces) so I'm a very right brain user but give me a math problem and I fall apart. My husband helps me all the time with math. It's what he does everyday at work. :-)

left or right handed?

I am also quite artistic, I just n ot on your level - or rather what I do is entirely untrained and rarely practiced... but I am a cook. I used to paint and sculpt warhammer figures for myself. I'm left.

• Like 1

left or right handed?

I am also quite artistic, I just n ot on your level - or rather what I do is entirely untrained and rarely practiced... but I am a cook. I used to paint and sculpt warhammer figures for myself. I'm left.

Right handed. I'm not trained, just always been artsy. Yeah, I started sculpting my figures (1/12th scale) for myself but somehow it turned into a business and have sold all over the world. Crazy! You never know where your art will take you. I'm seeing a common thread among many reefers. Many of us are artistic in some way. It's cool. :-)