Innovative Marine Aquariums

UV Sterilizer

devonmessick

Hey! I know there are a lot of people who don't like UV sterilizers and some that think they are great.

I have a 14g Biocube and I planning on purchasing an UV sterilizer this week. I have read some pretty bad reviews about the UV Sterilizer made specifically for the Bio cube. Does anyone have a UV sterilizer in their Biocubes? Which chamber did you add it to/how does it fit? I want to make sure I am getting one that is strong enough to make a difference and that will not stop working after a few week (like the Biocube UV sterilizer reviews I have read)

Thanks in advance!!!

What are you hoping to achieve with it? They can be effective on bacteria blooms and green water phyto blooms; but it takes a powerful UV filter to deal with ich or help control dinos. It's likely that a protein skimmer and/or chemical filtration will provide you more benefits.

My tank has been running over over 9 months. We have had a Diatom out break that has been going on for a few weeks now. I have been manually removing it from the sand beds and glass, but I have realized I need to do a bit more. I don't want to buy a UV sterilizer that is not strong enough or one that will not fit in my tank. I have read that the one made for Biocube is not good, but with that, I cannot find any recommendations for a strong and good quality UV filter.

Does anyone have one that they like and that works well?

Diatoms are fueled by silicate. I doubt that a UV filter will help you much. Two questions:

1. What type of water do you use (conditioned tap, RO, RO/DI, or distilled)?
  2. What type of sand did you use?

Hmm, not sure why you are battling diatoms. Sorry, I can't help you much with your UV filter, but I don't believe it will solve your problem. Are you sure it's diatoms and not cyano?

just throw in some Chemi Pure Elite. throught that in my 5G and my diatoms and algea went away in less then a week. then again i also did begin less feeding lol.

just throw in some Chemi Pure Elite. throught that in my 5G and my diatoms and algea went away in less then a week. then again i also did begin less feeding lol.

Likely a coincidence. The diatoms probably utilized the available silicate, and they went away. Generally, diatom blooms are a temporary condition that goes away on its own (unless there is a source of silicate in the system, or you are adding silicate via the water source).

Likely a coincidence. The diatoms probably utilized the available silicate, and they went away. Generally, diatom blooms are a temporary condition that goes away on its own (unless there is a source of silicate in the system, or you are adding silicate via the water source).

Well i completely switched foods lol. went from frozen cubes of mysis to pellets lol. though when still doing coral feeding using Kent Marine id get little blooms, so i just use Roti Feast and nada. Then maintained that feeding schedule of pellets and rodi feast for a month. took out the ChemiPure Elite for 2days and had a algea bloom. Put it back in and wala things are clearing up again dont really know what it is in my case as i use RODI and feed lightly but the CPE does help from what i can tell.

Could it have been cyano, instead of diatoms?

well at one point i had both lol. first got cyano, then hit diatoms. nothing anymore. just wonder if my rock leaks anything even though it was live rock from a LFS.

Archived