Coral Vue Hydros

Small tank or Big tank for newbies

Canadianeh

Some opinions suggest that big tank is recommended for newbie as the more water you have the less sensitive your tank becomes. Some other opinions suggest that newbie can easily manage small tanks.

What do you experts say? What will be the best tank size for newbie to start with? :)

Smaller tanks in general are harder because when things go wrong they can go wrong fast. Usually these require more frequent water changes/making sure parameters are correct.

I would think 20-30gal is a good place for beginners. Bigger tanks feel intimidating, but they have the ability to self regulate much better.

I got my 28g Nano Cube in 2012. It was an already established tank so I didn't have to cycle it. But since then, It suffered 2 crashes and other numerous idiotic stuff and my little kids being total sh*ts throwing things in the tank. I've cycled my tank twice because of the crashes. But with all the crap, I would not trade it in for a bigger tank even though I almost did. Instead I got another tank. Fluval Evo 5. Which I LOVE!!!!

There were many headaches along the way but at the end, it's still amazing and soothing to look at a piece of the ocean in your house.

If you get a tank, expect the worse, it may not happen but if it does, be prepared. Patience is key too.

I'm currently trying to talk my brother into getting a nano :)

Best of luck and have fun!!!!

Some opinions suggest that big tank is recommended for newbie as the more water you have the less sensitive your tank becomes. Some other opinions suggest that newbie can easily manage small tanks.

What do you experts say? What will be the best tank size for newbie to start with? :)

Starting with a 55 is not practical because it's not very cost-effective. Plus, you may end up not liking it. A 10 is a little too small in my opinion for a first tank, so I'd hit up a Red Sea Reefer or an Innovative Marine.

Nick

I'll be honest.. I'm also a newbie.. 6 months in.. I want to upgrade my 20 hex to a bigger tank maybe 35G long..

Here are my 2 main reasons

1. I want a Sump System since I'm using an HOB, sump is just much easier

2. I fell in love with corals, being a small tank and hex, I'm so limited.

flatlandreefer

It seems like 10 years ago when I had a reef tank for a short period of time starting with a nano as your first tank was a huge no no! I think some of the automation and good AIO tanks make keeping something in the 20-30 g range a lot more reasonable for a newbie. I decided to go with IM lagoon 25 vs a bigger option simply because it fits where I wanted it to and the initial startup cost was a lot more reasonable, anything larger I would have been getting into two light fixtures etc. I think this forum is evidence that a smaller system, 10+ gallons, is a reasonable size tank for a beginner while meeting a beginner budget. I think a 40b would be a good size tank if I would have gone larger.

I think it depends on the person. How much $$$ one has, the time spent on research, and their level of dedication.

I've had 55g, 20g, 15g, and 10g....the 10g is the biggest PITA. 15g is my favourite.

Regardless of size, I really believe its the work put into the tank that makes the difference. There are newbies with excellent success with 5g reefs.

I don't think a sump is necessarily easier, there is plumbing involved and other issues that come with them just like their are issues that come with hobs.

ANY tank set up comes with issues and unexpected problems.

An emergency 50% waterchange on a tank 20g and under is easier and more feasible than larger tanks - same with a full tank overhaul.

Pros and cons with both.

Archived