SaltCritters.com

Coral growth science project planning

fishfreak0114

This is how different wavelengths penetrate water:

gl-mh-aqualite-co5.jpg

So the spectrum at a natural reef will vary greatly depending on how shallow the reef is.

The height of the LEDs above the water level will depend on the lenses you choose. The more focused the lenses the higher they need to be for the light to widen enough to fill the area. Also, the more focused the lens, the deeper the light penetration through water.

Since you plan on reusing these for hobby purposes, choose the lenses that you plan on using for your reef tank. 60 degree optics are fairly common. However, you choose not to install the lenses, then you would want the LEDs as close to the water as possible.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go with one neutral white and one royal blue.

I actually plan on using the lights on a FW planted after. It'll be a mr.aqua 12g long, so fairly shallow. I think I'll use 80 degree optics. For the experiment I'll make sure I get the coral as close to the light as possible.

To everyone, a huge thanks! This experiment probably would have failed and had a million sources of error without all your help! And especially to Seabass with the awesome bucket design :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more question for now, do you guys think I should use 420-430nm or 440-460nm for the blue bucket?

I'd go with the second one (440-460nm wavelength).

I was just reading up on some of the tiny 1 gallon vase and bowl type tanks. Was thinking that might be another way to go. You could save some money as you would need much less equipment. Basically 3 jars, your lights, 3 tiny heaters, and an air pump that could be used for all with a 3 way valve. And because you do 100% water changes each week it would take water out of the equation.

I was just reading up on some of the tiny 1 gallon vase and bowl type tanks. Was thinking that might be another way to go. You could save some money as you would need much less equipment. Basically 3 jars, your lights, 3 tiny heaters, and an air pump that could be used for all with a 3 way valve. And because you do 100% water changes each week it would take water out of the equation.

I never thought about that. I don't think I'll go that way though because I'm not comfortable having such a small volume of water. I have to be able to go over the weekend without topping off. That's a good idea though :) would probably save $100+.

I never thought about that. I don't think I'll go that way though because I'm not comfortable having such a small volume of water. I have to be able to go over the weekend without topping off. That's a good idea though :) would probably save $100+.

I just found this thread and love it! My new prep school (I know, I know) might allow me to breed Bangaii's in an unused greenhouse. Good luck!

Nick

pappadumplingz

So how is the experiment going?

I just found this thread and love it! My new prep school (I know, I know) might allow me to breed Bangaii's in an unused greenhouse. Good luck!

Nick

Is prep school like private school? Aussie here have no idea.

Nick

I wish there a prep school here I could go to. We just have one tiny high school :) Good luck with the Bangaii breeding! Very neat!

I haven't actually started yet, this week I'll be ordering all my stuff (the lights have to come from the US) and seeing if I can get anything locally. We don't even have a sw near me, it's an hour and a half drive to the nearest one. I'm pretty excited to get started though.

And good news, my dad he would likely contribute $50! And my mom plans to match him!

Prep school is a private school.

The idea is that with a lid they are pretty closed off and do not have much evaporation. Part of that is also due to the small surface area as the bowl or vase curves to a small opening. Some of the threads I have read only do top offs every 3 days, and one said it was ok up to a week. Check out the pico section, you could get some good ideas down there, or PM a guy named Brandon429. He is going on year 10 with his 1 gallon vase. This is his tank below.

https://youtu.be/UgonY5FXxVE

The idea is that with a lid they are pretty closed off and do not have much evaporation. Part of that is also due to the small surface area as the bowl or vase curves to a small opening. Some of the threads I have read only do top offs every 3 days, and one said it was ok up to a week. Check out the pico section, you could get some good ideas down there, or PM a guy named Brandon429. He is going on year 10 with his 1 gallon vase. This is his tank below.

I will look into this. How small of heaters would I need? I suppose it could be done in containers too? Like food grade rubbermaids or something? I've been keeping my mom updated on everything that's posted here, and she seemed really excited when I told her about this idea. Because when I old her I planned on spending $250 on a school project she grimaced.

Something like this? With a box kept over it to keep outside light from getting in? Sorry or the bad drawing, didn't spend very long on it.

image_zps8foenvz1.jpeg

I think that individual tanks/vases/containers would be fine. It does simplify everything (with no plumbing).

Here is a small heater for a vase: http://deepblueprofessional.com/mini-submersible.html

But any heater that fits in the vase would work. It just looks nicer if it's smaller. But for this experiment, an opaque vase/container might actually be better.

Here is Brandon's thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/362241-9-year-old-1-gallon-pico-reef-last-full-tank-shot-before-cleaning/

If you do 100% water changes each week (even with water from your existing tank, just as long as it's the same for each one), that should address the water as a major variable.

I think that individual tanks/vases/containers would be fine. It does simplify everything (with no plumbing).

Here is a small heater for a vase: http://deepblueprofessional.com/mini-submersible.html

But any heater that fits in the vase would work. It just looks nicer if it's smaller. But for this experiment, an opaque vase/container might actually be better.

Here is Brandon's thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/362241-9-year-old-1-gallon-pico-reef-last-full-tank-shot-before-cleaning/

If you do 100% water changes each week (even with water from your existing tank, just as long as it's the same for each one), that should address the water as a major variable.

Thanks! This is great! My mom will be thrilled (I'm supposed to be saving for a trip to Disneyland in November too, she was nice enough to book our whole vacation around getting me out of the BC taekwondo provincials that my club is co hosting so I really should save for the trip)

I will post up a nicer sketch later and a shopping list. I'm glad I don't have to buy uniseal bulkheads anymore, I would have had to ship them so there's saving there too.

Private/ Independent. Half the people I used to go to school with didn't even know I left.

I wish there a prep school here I could go to. We just have one tiny high school :) Good luck with the Bangaii breeding! Very neat!

I haven't actually started yet, this week I'll be ordering all my stuff (the lights have to come from the US) and seeing if I can get anything locally. We don't even have a sw near me, it's an hour and a half drive to the nearest one. I'm pretty excited to get started though.

And good news, my dad he would likely contribute $50! And my mom plans to match him!

Prep school is a private school.

Thanks! If I'm given the green light I'll start a thread.

Private/ Independent. Half the people I used to go to school with didn't even know I left.

Thanks! If I'm given the green light I'll start a thread.

Ouch. How can you not notice when someone switches schools? :(. Although I guess with my school being small you know pretty much who everyone is.

I hope they let you, I'd definitely follow along!

Ouch. How can you not notice when someone switches schools? :(. Although I guess with my school being small you know pretty much who everyone is.

I hope they let you, I'd definitely follow along!

Thanks!

Ok so here is my equipment list: I'll put a ¥ when I have something

3- 2g walmart buckets (#2 plastic). ¥

2- 3-way splitters for the airstones. ¥

2- air pumps ¥

6- airstones. ¥

20' airline tubing ¥

3' u-channel

1- rapidled 6 LED solderless non-dimmable kit. ¥ ordered

1- large piece of glass. ¥

Biomedia. ¥

1- powerbar (with at least 6 outlets). Still have to check in my basement

1- timer. ¥

1- jug of top off water

Media bags and carbon. ¥

Coral. ¥

Should I run carbon? Even in very small amounts? My concern is that there will be fumes of some sort in the room if a class does an experiment and that it will negatively impact the coral.

pappadumplingz

If your class doesn't have a fume cupboard to do potentially harmful experiments in, I'd say get the carbon. Even if they do get it anyway, it's good insurance.

With a sump, the containers would all share the same biofilter; but with 3 separate containers (and separate biofilters), the live rock becomes a variable. If you use some sort of manufactured media, you can help reduce this variable. This could be ceramic rings as a substrate, or something else.

If your class doesn't have a fume cupboard to do potentially harmful experiments in, I'd say get the carbon. Even if they do get it anyway, it's good insurance.

We do have a fume hood, but I was just thinking that there could be other experiments (even one just using the Bunsen burners) that could leave gas or so something else in the room that may not hurt people, but could upset the coral. I think I will use a small amount of carbon, I'll be very carful to weigh out the portions so each container gets equal amounts.

With a sump, the containers would all share the same biofilter; but with 3 separate containers (and separate biofilters), the live rock becomes a variable. If you use some sort of manufactured media, you can help reduce this variable. This could be ceramic rings as a substrate, or something else.

Ah, thank you for catching that :) I'll use ceramic rings, start seeding them in my tank as soon as I get them to get them nice and bacteria filled, and then I'll put an equal number of rings in each container. Will that keep it from becoming another variable?
pappadumplingz

We do have a fume hood, but I was just thinking that there could be other experiments (even one just using the Bunsen burners) that could leave gas or so etching else in the room that may not hurt people, but could upset the coral. I think I will use a small amount of carbon, I'll be very carful to weigh out the portions so each container gets equal amounts.

Ah, thank you for catching that :) I'll use ceramic rings, start seeding them in my tank as soon as I get them to get them nice and bacteria filled, and then I'll put an equal number of rings in each container. Will that keep it from becoming another variable?

I'd recommend marine pure as your bio media, it can get rid of nitrates as well as ammonia and nitrite.

I'd recommend marine pure as your bio media, it can get rid of nitrates as well as ammonia and nitrite.

I'm going to look into that right now :). I don't think I've seen it before, but I've never actually looked at bio media for fw or sw

Archived