Cultivated Reef

Opinion on Biocube 32

Canadianeh

Hello there

I am new here. I have some experience on fresh water tank, but not an expert by any means.

I am looking to start a salt water tank, and the theme will be community reef tank. My wish list is a couple of clownfish, some other fishes (please recommend some that can get a long with clownfish), some corals (maybe soft ones as I read that they are hardy), and some clean up crew and shrimps.

The tank that I am looking to get is Bio cube 32 with LED. What do you experts say about this tank? Do you have better recommendation? Anyone that is actually using this tank?

• Like 1

Welcome to Nano.

Many have biocubes and like them. Other aio choices are Innovative Marines, Red Sea.

Each person has their preference.

Liveaquaria.com has a compatability chart for fish, its an excellent source for info on corals, inverts, and fish.

Freshwater is completely different than saltwater.

Definitely do a lot of research on the cycling, maintenance, testing, and lighting.

Soft corals are hardy but there are still requirements.

• Like 2

My first reef was a BioCube and I really liked it. For a beginner this type of tank really takes the guess work out of the equipment while you are learning. As long as you don't want to keep anything too difficult, you will be fine.

• Like 2

HI and Welcome!!

I am SO excited about the BC 32-- I am actually planning on ordering the hood for my current BC 29 as soon as it is available.

My BC 29 is 10 months old and I have had great success and HUGE fails!

What I wished I would have done the moment I purchased the tank is to have used the InTank Media set up.

Remove Bioballs and use their system- If you are not familiar, let me know :-) I am in the process of switching over because my tank blows constant debris and the BC protein skimmer is the worst. InTank (or any other comparable setups) are so awesome because it is easy to understand and if you are not an experienced aquarist it still makes sense. Use live sand and live rock. It comes with all kinds of critters and helps the tank flourish.

A Pair of clowns will be fine, my cleaner shrimp has the best personality. CUC- snails/hermit crabs etc. Sand Sifting Starfish are so beautiful but will die within two months. If you want a star grab a Brittle- Mine has been in my tank for months and now I have a few baby brittle stars. You will only see them during feeding!

You can slowly add 1-3 more fish depending on size. I currently have a Mandarin (who I love but DO NOT recommend- READ again It was a major mistake - I have had her for 2.5 months and have spent about 400.00 on food for her- Her food costs about 100/month).

This is my second round of fish as my first crew all died from Ich. My Mandarin was my only regret as I thought my pod population was plentiful(I was wrong).

Depending on your taste, firefish do great in a new set up. The elegant Firefish is beautiful and different. Yellow Watchman Goby's are so fun. The sand shoots out of their gills and they are friendly- Mine ended up perishing due to multiple jumps into the back chamber. BC 29 makes a guard for this and the new 32 might come standard.

Cardinalfish are pretty but don't do much. Royal Gramma are stunning and I might try again. I purchased one and after one day I never saw it again :-( I have not had any Dottybacks and have heard mixed results in a passive tank. Wrasses are beautiful mostly reef safe and some very peaceful. I have not owned one and many require a much larger tank. The six line is really popular and someone from Nano could probably share their experience.

If you are planning on Clowns you are most likely looking at a peaceful tank. While Damsels are beautiful they are aggressive and I have yet to meet a person who had success in a passive tank.

As horrible as this is to say chances are your first fish won't last. It was the worst advice to hear from my experienced aquarist friend however he was right. I would pick hardy species, firefish and clowns. Don't overcrowd your tank and see how they do! I am now very specific and spent more money on specialty clowns but I am SO glad I didn't on my first run :-)

If you have a great local fish store ask them about the hardiest corals to start with. If not the community will help. I have had luck with Zoas and Frogspawn.

I hope this helps!

• Like 2

Thank you. I will continue to ask question and do my own research. There is so much more things involved in salt water tank hobby.

I am thinking that I want to get IM Fusion Nuvo 25 Lagoon tank instead. :)

HI and Welcome!!

I am SO excited about the BC 32-- I am actually planning on ordering the hood for my current BC 29 as soon as it is available.

My BC 29 is 10 months old and I have had great success and HUGE fails!

What I wished I would have done the moment I purchased the tank is to have used the InTank Media set up.

Remove Bioballs and use their system- If you are not familiar, let me know :-) I am in the process of switching over because my tank blows constant debris and the BC protein skimmer is the worst. InTank (or any other comparable setups) are so awesome because it is easy to understand and if you are not an experienced aquarist it still makes sense. Use live sand and live rock. It comes with all kinds of critters and helps the tank flourish.

A Pair of clowns will be fine, my cleaner shrimp has the best personality. CUC- snails/hermit crabs etc. Sand Sifting Starfish are so beautiful but will die within two months. If you want a star grab a Brittle- Mine has been in my tank for months and now I have a few baby brittle stars. You will only see them during feeding!

You can slowly add 1-3 more fish depending on size. I currently have a Mandarin (who I love but DO NOT recommend- READ again It was a major mistake - I have had her for 2.5 months and have spent about 400.00 on food for her- Her food costs about 100/month).

This is my second round of fish as my first crew all died from Ich. My Mandarin was my only regret as I thought my pod population was plentiful(I was wrong).

Depending on your taste, firefish do great in a new set up. The elegant Firefish is beautiful and different. Yellow Watchman Goby's are so fun. The sand shoots out of their gills and they are friendly- Mine ended up perishing due to multiple jumps into the back chamber. BC 29 makes a guard for this and the new 32 might come standard.

Cardinalfish are pretty but don't do much. Royal Gramma are stunning and I might try again. I purchased one and after one day I never saw it again :-( I have not had any Dottybacks and have heard mixed results in a passive tank. Wrasses are beautiful mostly reef safe and some very peaceful. I have not owned one and many require a much larger tank. The six line is really popular and someone from Nano could probably share their experience.

If you are planning on Clowns you are most likely looking at a peaceful tank. While Damsels are beautiful they are aggressive and I have yet to meet a person who had success in a passive tank.

As horrible as this is to say chances are your first fish won't last. It was the worst advice to hear from my experienced aquarist friend however he was right. I would pick hardy species, firefish and clowns. Don't overcrowd your tank and see how they do! I am now very specific and spent more money on specialty clowns but I am SO glad I didn't on my first run :-)

If you have a great local fish store ask them about the hardiest corals to start with. If not the community will help. I have had luck with Zoas and Frogspawn.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

i have had a biocube 32 for almost 2 months now. cycle nearly over, loved it so far, would not recommend coralife protein skimmer, cant get enough airflow for adequate bubbles, i will see how i do without a skimmer, if i need i will get aqualife 115 mini. loved the cube so far though. led are great and everything else is good 5 out of 5

Just finished cycling my BioCube 16G and so far i'm loving it. Just put in my chaeto, chemi pure elite and also got some dragons breath to give some life to the tank until I get my CUC this weekend. 

IMG_1822.jpg

• Like 1