Cultivated Reef

Third fish.

Jayva

I'm upgrading. I currently have a clown pair. Both are still small I have them less then a month.

I'm upgrading Friday to a 20G IM fusion.

And would like to add a third fish before the clowns claim territory and kill it.

What would be a nice small colorful. Active fish? Nothing that hides it would defeat the purpose.

Clown gobies hide but out in the open perching on corals so i would concider one. But I heard their hard to feed.

I'm upgrading. I currently have a clown pair. Both are still small I have them less then a month.

And would like to add a third fish before the clowns claim territory and kill it.

What would be a nice small colorful. Active fish? Nothing that hides it would defeat the purpose.

Clown gobies hide but out in the open perching on corals so i would concider one. But I heard their hard to feed.

A yellow tang would be good.

Has the tank cycled yet? If it hasn't, don't add anything until it has. Are you able to keep your current tank running? If you are, add a timid-ish fish like a cardinal, then add the clowns. If not, throw in the clowns, wait a month, then add a third fish. The tank will still be pretty new to them, so you should be okay, just be sure to choose a sturdy fish like a cardinal or six line and not a firefighters or other delicate fish.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Yes keep in mind upgrading to a new tank means starting over. You can't just move everything over and call it a day. Plus the tank you are upgrading from is new. It still hasn't truly established. Remember to go slow.

Current tank is cycled. I used very old rock and sand. I test it daily. Everything is stable no swings.

I think I'm gonna skip out on the third fish. The soon to be female clown is already tormenting the crabs. (The male is misbar and when the full bar taps him he shakes plus he appears a tad bit smaller even tho they're still babies) but ya s/he's turning into a meanie.

I definitely don't think any of us are suggesting you're not maintaining your current tank. There's a difference between a new tank and an established tank. When I set up my current tank, I used all the existing rock from my previous build - 20 lbs - and added new rock on top of it. I added ammonium chloride to get the cycle going, added some microbacter7 to help establish the biofilter, then started to transfer my livestock after ammonia was processing. I still saw loss in corals and such given the fact that the tank was still new even though I used existing rock to help establish the biofilter. It takes a bit for things to establish - microfauna and flora and such - that help your tank truly become stabilized. With a new tank, especially a nano, things can swing quickly from stable to not so stable. With me, I lost corals due to the water being too clean and then lost a few more when I had a climb in phosphates about a month and a half into the build.

My concern was the thought you were going to just move everything over to the 20, especially since your current build is I believe less than two months old. Even with live rock, it will still be a new build when transferring to the new tank and will still go through a cycle even if minimal. So adding new livestock right away could cause problems.

Definitely not trying to give you a hard time, just figured I'd offer some suggestions :)

Oh no I didn't think you were giving me a hard time.

I appreciate it. I was gonna transfer everything over.

Guess ill rethink this thru.

I sometimes come off as if I'm defending myself when I'm not lol

I could run them side by side. Not for very long before upsetting my wife because I'll be using the coffee table. lol. monitor them both and I have clear ammonia I could test how fast the new one processes. Maybe like 1 or 2 PPM.

Transfer sand and rock for a few days. 1lb of LR should hold the clowns off. I don't feed a lot I skip a day. I have prime for emergencies. Once Ammonia is processed add the clowns to dirty up that water before moving corals over. Don't want them dying from a sterile tank.

I think it is pretty poor practice to buy a fish with the intention to resell it because it will grow too large or basically knowing that your tank will be too small in the future. What happens if you can't re-home that fish for whatever reason for months or longer? And knowing when the fish has outgrown the tank is pretty subjective as well. If your tank is not big enough for the adult size of the fish just don't buy it.

Cencalfishguy56

I think it is pretty poor practice to buy a fish with the intention to resell it because it will grow too large or basically knowing that your tank will be too small in the future. What happens if you can't re-home that fish for whatever reason for months or longer? And knowing when the fish has outgrown the tank is pretty subjective as well. If your tank is not big enough for the adult size of the fish just don't buy it.

while that should be the right thing to do it's not likely to always happen so I opened alternative solutions

I don't have the heart. I get attached to my pets.

I'm sticking with. My current clown pair. A fire fish. And a citrus clown goby. If I ever find one their not in season according to live aquaria

Archived