inTank Media Baskets

what's your favorite nano fish? why?

Friendly

Radial and pygmy filefish (Areichthys radiatus and Rudarius ercodes) are pretty cool.

Geometric pygmy hawkfish (Plectranthias sp.) are cool too.

Red bandtail waspfish (​Paracentropogon zonatus​) stay very small and are awesome, will likely only eat meaty frozen foods, though.

I loved our little ORA Pygmy Filefish, but he did not love our WAV. :unsure:

My favorite is the Helfrichi Firefish.

Although, now that we have a Yasha Goby / Randal Shrimp I cannot imagine having a nano tank without them (and a Helfrichi of course).

If you like Wrasses take a look at the Pink-Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia). They are super friendly and teenie.

We have these 3 in our 25 gallon system which has just a 10 gallon display.

Red bandtail waspfish (​Paracentropogon zonatus​) stay very small and are awesome, will likely only eat meaty frozen foods, though.

+1 to the pygmy hawk. By far one of my favorite fish.

Saw one of the waspfish in person and wow! Pics don't do them justice.

Talking to Kevin at Live-Aquria during MACA and he also recommonded the Geometric pygmy hawkfish (Plectranthias sp.).

Seeing a few of your guys talk about them makes me think to start the search!

If put in a tank with some more agressive fish like Clowns, a Yellow-Tail Damsel and a ORA Orchid Dottyback what do you think?

Talking to Kevin at Live-Aquria during MACA and he also recommonded the Geometric pygmy hawkfish (Plectranthias sp.).

Seeing a few of your guys talk about them makes me think to start the search!

If put in a tank with some more agressive fish like Clowns, a Yellow-Tail Damsel and a ORA Orchid Dottyback what do you think?

Mine's with a coral beauty, clowns, sixline, even a teenybaby trigger :o! On the opposite end there's sailfin blennies, ycg and hi fin gobies.

They keep to themselves, model citizen. Brave little fish that won't harass anyone or be harassed. As long as they have enough places to hide if needed they're happy and confident. ymmv!

Also make sure they're eating frozen in QT and are used to how you feed before introducing them with other aggressive eaters. I have to practically hand feed mine or he wouldn't get out in the feeding frenzy with everyone else.

Radial and pygmy filefish (Areichthys radiatus and Rudarius ercodes) are pretty cool.

+1 on the radial filefish and bandtail waspfish, they make an amazing combination in a small tank

I tend to like the "common" fish. I like fish that are hardy, active, disease resistant, peaceful to semi-aggressive, and get to a size that will still be suitable to my tank in a few years.

My favs:

Banggai cardinal

Ocellaris clown

Sixline wrasse

My favorite damsel is the alleni damsel because they look really cool and they stay small and semi-aggressive

There are lots of others I like but these are my go-to list. I've had some more unique fish in the past, but somehow I end up with my go-to fish again. For example I had a geometric hawk for a short while - and it was a pretty big one too for their size anyways. It got eaten by my BTA... So learned that small fish and anemones don't really play well together.

• 4 weeks later...

the Blue Stripe Pipefish is my favorite and least favorite at the same time

I've spent a lot of money on copepods before she was finally trained on frozen Mysis.. but I still need to keep a pod supply in the tank.

they are a seriously curious fish, and I like to watch it hunt in the current, using it's tail as a rudder.. just cool to watch

jedimasterben

You couldn't keep one in a nano for life, but you could start out with a juvi

Fathead Sunburst Anthias.

Those don't exactly grow into monsters.

Fang blenny. Any type. Awesome, very underrated fish IMHO.

• Get along great with pretty much any other fish (except other fang blennies).
  • Good range of colors - everything from yellow... yellow and blue ... striped like a horizontal zebra ... to pure black and white.
  • Brave, curious, and always out and about in the water column.
  • Their peaceful yet confident and active demeanor is great at bringing other more shy and cryptic fish out into the water column. (I recently lost a green canary (tongaensus) blenny. The moment he became absent from the tank my tailspot blenny and pink-streaked wrasse became more reclusive. Added a blackline blenny to the tank and both were almost immediately back out in the water column spending the day with their brave new buddy.)

Don't think I'll ever have a tank without a fang blenny in it.

My lawnmower blenny is awesome, great personality, eats extra algea, kinda like giving your tank it's own dog...

Indigo dottybacks give a great flash of color, blue sided or lubbocks fairy wrasse or mckoskers flasher wrasse are great too.

My favs:

• Occellaris Clownfish
  • Dragonets of any variety
  • Yellow Clown Goby (tons of personality)
  • Six Line (so vibrant and active!)
  • Fairy wrasses (not truly nano, and after seeing them in my not-nano, I don't consider them nano fish much anymore)

I'm with aj, I tend to like common fish. But after seeing teeny's Doug and Doug II, I may add toby puffers to the list.

basser1,

I saw a Blue Spot Jawfish for the first time last week. Really beautiful fish! Are they hardy?

David

Mine was it ate like a pig. Make sure the tank is covered, they are notorious jumpers.

Sadly, that's how I lost mine

Archived