Coral Vue Hydros

Chaeto growth light.

Jayva

Getting my lagoon soon. The IM one.

One over flow side I'm gonna run chaeto only. . The black vinyl lifts up off the glass. I ordered a 3 LED little chip. Each of the 3 LEDs are 6500k. I believe 1 watt each. I'm gonna shine thru the glass. Would that be enough light to grow chaeto?

Gonna stick it on my wall facing that cutout shining directly on the chaeto if all goes well.

• 1 month later...

growing in the back of a lagoon won't do anything for you, except irritate you..

there really isn't a benefit to it, as you really can't grow enough to be beneficial.

if you are thinking you need it to support copepods, I can guarantee you it won't work out well for that

try a HOB instead

build in my sig..

congrats on the lagoon, you will love it (we all do)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

IMO after reading info on refuguims that at least 20% of the aquarium and more is better ?...should be dedicated to growing macro-algae.

I think the Innovative Marine concept of peeling back the black plastic on the back of the aquarium and placing a light behind is a nice gimmick, and looks cool, but does it really reduce phosphates and nitrates at all?? Probably not.

I use a HOB phosban 150 with a LED strip that wraps around for a "Chato Reactor". It is extremely effective and working way better than traditionally putting macro in one of the back chambers. Very inexpensive too. The cost of a DIY macro reactor is less expensive than most led magnet grow LEDs for back chambers. I am harvesting way more Chato than I know what to do with.

• Like 1

I use a HOB phosban 150 with a LED strip that wraps around for a "Chato Reactor". It is extremely effective and working way better than traditionally putting macro in one of the back chambers. Very inexpensive too. The cost of a DIY macro reactor is less expensive than most led magnet grow LEDs for back chambers. I am harvesting way more Chato than I know what to do with.

Hmmm.. can i have some?

Please? ?

IMO after reading info on refuguims that at least 20% of the aquarium and more is better ?...should be dedicated to growing macro-algae.

I think the Innovative Marine concept of peeling back the black plastic on the back of the aquarium and placing a light behind is a nice gimmick, and looks cool, but does it really reduce phosphates and nitrates at all?? Probably not.

As someone that tried that gimmick, waste of time and money.

Photo?

MainelyReefer

I use the innovative marine magnafuge with great results in my IM fusion 40, it sits in the first section of the overflow chamber to the right of the tank. First I have an intank filter floss holder then chaeto then rock rubble on the bottom to hold chaeto from sliding under the divider. Every two weeks I have to harvest and if I don't the filter floss holder will lift right out of the water from overgrowth popping up. Also I got this as a source of nutrient export and to help build a copepod population, which it has done beautifully. I also agree a hang on back refugium would offer greater nutrient export and copepod benefits as it would overflow rather than pump back to the tank and you could get a larger size, but they are ugly. I have also grown grape caulerpa with this setup it just had a slower rebound when over harvested. Good luck with the new tank those things are awesome

• 1 year later...

I find it weird that my experiences with growing Chaeto in the back of my IM 25g Lagoon are so different than everyone elses. My mini fuge has dropped my nitrates, my phosphates, given me a .2-.3 boost in PH, and helped with my day to night PH swing.. Its been friggin awesome for me.