Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can changing return pump effect nutrient levels

Clown79

I'm not sure whats going on but my nitrate levels started increasing in my 10g IM. They were between 5-10 and suddenly got to 20!

The only thing changed was my return pump. I had an mj900 in there(about 230gph)but it was causing issues so it was changed to the pico pump(100gph) plus hydor 420.

I did 2 50% water changes on top of my regular wc's but its just creeps back up.

Could the pump change have caused issues?

I stopped dosing everything, haven't fed frozen in a mnth, haven't used reef roids either. 1 fish fed lightly daily.

I use distilled which tests 0 nitrates.

I am baffled by this. My 15g which has the same maintenance routine has 5 nitrates

Like Sal said, it affects how much water is moving through your tank's filter chambers. Which means your chemical media won't be quite as efficient. It might also affect your protein skimmer's performance (maybe positively, maybe not). Slower flow can sometimes actually help a macro algae refugium.

I do, I use Aquavitro fuel but I use it sparingly.

I use the aquavitro fuel but use less than they recommend, not sure if it can lead to higher nutrient levels so I'm currently monitoring that.

I started using aquavitro fuel but half the recommended amount and 1x a week.

I use aquavitro fuel.

Are you still using aquavitro fuel? Which is basically organics.

Do you have any biological filters besides live rock? A good cleaning of the filter chambers and rinsing the media wouldn't hurt.

Does your new powerhead blow around your sand bed?

I stopped dosing the aquavitro and reef roids to see if that was the cause. I figured process of elimination would help figure out the cause.

I only dosed aquavitro 2 times and tiny amounts.

I clean out the back chambers monthly as well, I rinse my media every water change and floss is changed 2-3 times/wk.

I started noticing the increase in nitrates around the same time the hubby changed the pump.

It was my biggest concern about the pump change.

Since its the only change in the tank, I figured it was the cause but wanted some affirmation from others.

The koralia 420 is pretty strong in the 10g, my brain got torn from the flow, so in the dt I think I'm good- actually it was one of the reason for pump change- there was too much flow with the 420 and mj900.

I think the better combo in the 10g would be a stronger return pump and the hydor 230...more $$$ to spend. Lol.

Archived