Top Shelf Aquatics

how much chaeto per gallon?

rottingsoul492

rottingsoul492

Is there a rule of thumb on how much cheato i should have per gallon? I have about 2 softball size balls in my 29 gallon biocube.is it enough or do i need more?

For it to actually do something, you need significant​ volume of it in comparison to your tank size (as a rough measure) along with ​significant​ lighting and flow.

rottingsoul492

For it to actually do something, you need significant​ volume of it in comparison to your tank size (as a rough measure) along with ​significant​ lighting and flow.

if i put it in the back of my biocube would a florescent light like a small counter light be enough. To grow it?

To grow a tiny bit? Probably. But it will do literally nothing for you with such a minuscule amount, so I would not waste the energy in getting it in there, trimming it, etc etc.

Hi Ben, have any links or data to share that shows how much chaeto is needed to be effective? I have some in my sump but if it's a waste of time I'd love to see the data.

I'll have to look for that data, been a long time since I've looked it up. Essentially, chaetomorpha is not that great at reducing nutrients or CO2 concentration in the water unless there is significant volume that is well-lit and has good flow so that the growth will not stagnate. It's the same reason that algae scrubbers are compact, so they're easier to get high light and flow to get the algae growing at a speed where it is worth it in regards to nutrient and CO2 uptake.

yes, your thoughts are curious, considering how popular adding a HOB filter just for chaeto on nano tanks is.

The problem is that it is based on poor information. You could ask everyone that uses some in such a small volume and they'll tell you that it stabilizes their pH at night and reduces N&P levels, but the truth of the matter is that it takes significantly more than that. While it is true that macroalgae will do that, it just doesn't apply to the small amounts typically used. :)

hey Ben. wouldn't the lower capacity of the water involved mean the amount of chaeto or other macro algae be reduced but still have an effect?

have you personally tested to see if a nano tank benefits from having some chaeto vs none?

right now it's hearsay, no data has been provided. not to say your experience isn't valid, but I would like to see some validation or imperical evidence to see where you're basing your advice on. :)

hey Ben. wouldn't the lower capacity of the water involved mean the amount of chaeto or other macro algae be reduced but still have an effect?

have you personally tested to see if a nano tank benefits from having some chaeto vs none?

right now it's hearsay, no data has been provided. not to say your experience isn't valid, but I would like to see some validation or imperical evidence to see where you're basing your advice on. :)

I tested in a much larger volume than a nano but also had a significant volume of macroalgae (in the realm of about 110 gallons total volume to ~30 gallons of algae), which the ratio was far higher than what a nano tank would be with algae restricted to a small section of a HOB filter. It still had no impact on depressed pH at night via my pH logs from my Reef Angel, and I did not at the time have an issue with N or P, so measurements were lax there. Unfortunately the online links to my pH logs at that time are broken, and I do not know if I still have a local copy. Total volume isn't the important part, it's the ratio, as that will apply to any tank :)

I only run a 9 gallon sumpless tank, but I'd estimate that at least half the biomass in said tank is display-grade macroalgae, which I suspect has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Feed (about 2ml of pureed food) daily 1 to 2 times and have barely detectable nitrates/phosphates with decent growth on most stocked varieties. I have to prune them back every 4-6 weeks.

So that level of significant as a very general guestimate. ;)

I'm looking to get the new Evo 12 for my nano reef...which I could put a HOB70 on that's entirely dedicated to chaeto. would that filter hold enough to be effective? :unsure:

I'm looking to get the new Evo 12 for my nano reef...which I could put a HOB70 on that's entirely dedicated to chaeto. would that filter hold enough to be effective? :unsure:

13.5 gallons. Water change is probably more effective than chaeto in the back chamber. I have the Evo 12 too and I thought about running chaeto in the first chamber. I may do it more for a refugium for pods than for nutrient export.

I only run a 9 gallon sumpless tank, but I'd estimate that at least half the biomass in said tank is display-grade macroalgae, which I suspect has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Feed (about 2ml of pureed food) daily 1 to 2 times and have barely detectable nitrates/phosphates with decent growth on most stocked varieties. I have to prune them back every 4-6 weeks.

So that level of significant as a very general guestimate. ;)

I agree with bulkrate and Jedi. I had a 12 gallon macroalage tank (it's now in process of being converted to a 55). Macro algae probably took up at least 50% of the tank volume and I noticed an impact on nitrates and phosphates - to the point that I needed to dose both to keep the macro happy. However, running macro algae in my sump in my 66, I'm not sure how much impact it actually has. The algae grows fast but I actually think an oversized skimmer and carbon dosing is what is keeping my nitrates and phosphates in check - not the macro. So, to Jedi's point, if macro algae takes up a significant portion of the volume, it makes a difference. If it doesn't, it probably doesn't make much of a difference. But it's pretty :D

I may do it more for a refugium for pods than for nutrient export.

Not to further debunk much today, but you'll get a 'pod haven even without any macroalgae. I actually had more copepods when I kept a bag of Seachem filter media in my sump than I did with that massive refugium I mentioned earlier. I lifted the bag up one time and it was crawling with more pods than I could hoped to have counted. All it really takes is somewhere they can cling to that has ample food (eg detritus) and is away from predatory mouths :)

Archived