Top Shelf Aquatics

Bubble Coral shriveled up

Astinus

I doubt a power head repositioning would cause this. Coral irritation, sure. Anemone movement, sure. Anemone foot release and tube anemone bailout, not likely.

I can't help but wonder. How is it you dose, don't test yourself, yet magically have near perfect cal and alk? I know you've said you trust your lfs. However, I'm beginning to wonder if they are actually testing anything, or just telling you what you want to hear.

While we're on testing, you might as well test mag and ph, too. It's not likely to be the cause of your issues, but at this point, I'm about out of ideas.

I don't know what nopox is, so I ain't gonna say anything beyond that.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Ray on this. Do you know what test kits they use? I would personally invest in your own kits. If something starts to go south, you want to be able to test yourself. Plus, doing it yourself is the only way to truly know that your numbers are consistent. Relying on others, no matter how much you trust them, in my opinion isn't always good.

In my opinion, the bubble coral doesn't look good and like Ray mentioned, if a tube anemone and a BTA also upped and moved, it's not a good sign. Something is amiss, whether warfare or whatnot.

The tube anemone does look close and while you might not think they are close enough to touch, you never know what happens when you're not looking, especially at night when certain things send out feeders or stretch more. Same during the day. Do you have any other corals that are close to each other that could be sending out some chemical warfare as they are competing for space? If I remember correctly, the elegance is pretty close to some other corals.

And I'm sorry about the bubble Coral astinus :(

And the only reason I ask which test kits they use is because when I first started out, the fish store I went to checked my water. With a strip - which doesn't have any sort of accuracy to help. And this is a LFS with a great reputation. After that and some other advice that didn't seem quite right, I learned really fast not to rely on advice or testing from a store. No matter their reputation. I've found that's the case at most stores unfortunately.

I have the "API Reef master Test kit" The LFS uses same. *I watch them use this kit*

I Lost the color cards to the KH and Cal test.

I really do appreciate the replies and I am listening. I will pick up a new test kit t'day.

The Pink Tube Nem found a new home Deep in a Cave like structure against the back wall.

It moved there yesterday. Found it using a flashlight. Looked at it just now, seems quite happy right there for now.

Fully extended and just looks happy.

Stella, if the Bubble does not make it, The Elegance and that "Open Brain" are close together. I will move 1 or the other to that

space where the Bubble is now.

I Did move the Blastos further away from the brain and elegance.

I can't Thank you enough for helping me try and get to the bottom of this issue.

I have the "API Reef master Test kit" The LFS uses same. *I watch them use this kit*

I Lost the color cards to the KH and Cal test.

I really do appreciate the replies and I am listening. I will pick up a new test kit t'day.

The Pink Tube Nem found a new home Deep in a Cave like structure against the back wall.

It moved there yesterday. Found it using a flashlight. Looked at it just now, seems quite happy right there for now.

Fully extended and just looks happy.

Stella, if the Bubble does not make it, The Elegance and that "Open Brain" are close together. I will move 1 or the other to that

space where the Bubble is now.

I Did move the Blastos further away from the brain and elegance.

I can't Thank you enough for helping me try and get to the bottom of this issue.

If you have the API kit, then definitely use that at home. There's lots of debate about how accurate they are but honestly, it's fine for what you're looking to accomplish. It will tell you if your levels are consistent. I would start using it and testing at least once a week. You can also go online and find the color cards. But the Kh, you count the drops until it turns orange from blue. The number of drops tells you your KH. With the calcium, you put in drops until it turns blue from pink. Count the drops and then use the chart on the instructions.

See if you can move the elegance and open brain away from each other now rather than waiting. You don't want them close. The elegance can be a mean sucker from what I've read.

It's just so odd. Your bubble was looking great and now - with that gaping mouth, I would be surprised if it recovered. Also, keep an eye on it. If it starts releasing its flesh, it can bother other things in your tank - may be what was bothering the nems.

Given the quick decline, think back. Have you used any household cleaners in the room or near the tank? Have you added anything new in the past week or so?

"Given the quick decline, think back. Have you used any household cleaners in the room or near the tank? Have you added anything new in the past week or so?"

No. I am very careful about cleaners. The Tank is in the Bedroom. I do occasionally clean the outside glass with Windex. But I Don't spray Windex directly onto the glass. A couple spritzes on the Paper Towel. (Away from the Tank)

I have noticed yesterday and t'day that some of the "Bubles" Want to inflate.

Hmmm....Ya know, Thinking back, I have used Aiptasia-X on the Aiptasia, with great results. I am VERY careful when using this.

I am very "Targeted" and only use enough to dollop a drop into the Aiptasia's mouth. However, some, not very much at all, will float off into the water column. I started using this about 2 weeks ago. This has me wondering now that I think about it.

I don't think it would be aiptasia X unless you put a lot in the tank and the Coral ingested it. What about livestock? I know you added a toadstool. What is that near? Softies can put out a lot of toxins if they feel threatened etc

Let me snap a FTS pic and some pics of the Toad.

I just noticed the RBTA is "In" or at the base of the Goni. I Have to move that for sure.

Here are some pics that I just took.

b0xFTs.jpg

Toadstool up away from the Bubble.

nNDSBw.jpg

Left side View.

OY1Foc.jpg

FTS

EsMqGb.jpg

Back Side, Left View Bubble Coral.

C1NjpJ.jpg

Front view of Bubble Coral.

GaEZBr.jpg

:( Yikes. That bubble definitely doesn't look good. I've never seen one with its mouth gaping like that. My initial thought was move it into the shade to see if that will help it recover, but then at the same time, I'm thinking moving it may stress it more. I got nothing :wacko:

How are the nems? How is everything else? Just still concerns me that the bubble went downhill so fast AND the tube nem left his tube and the BTA bailed off the rock. Just seems no good.

Did you do a water change by chance? Also, change out the carbon ASAP (if you haven't already)

I did change out the carbon that day :)

1st thing I did. The Nems bailed on day 2, and now the Starfish, which I started a new topic in Inverts.

I just did a 5 Gal Change. I Noticed that the Salinity was elevated. 1.027 I like to run it between 1.023 and 1.026

Ideally I try to keep it in the "Sweet spot" of 1.025 I usually top off every day 2 days at the most. With RO/DI.

Off Topic. I did move the Open Brain 4 inches maybe 6 inches away from the Elegance. The Elegance Tentacles (3 or 4) were touching the Brain. So, maybe there was some warfare going on. I will change out the Carbon again.

I did change out the carbon that day :)

1st thing I did. The Nems bailed on day 2, and now the Starfish, which I started a new topic in Inverts.

I just did a 5 Gal Change. I Noticed that the Salinity was elevated. 1.027 I like to run it between 1.023 and 1.026

Ideally I try to keep it in the "Sweet spot" of 1.025 I usually top off every day 2 days at the most. With RO/DI.

Off Topic. I did move the Open Brain 4 inches maybe 6 inches away from the Elegance. The Elegance Tentacles (3 or 4) were touching the Brain. So, maybe there was some warfare going on. I will change out the Carbon again.

I would make sure you're topping off AT LEAST once a day. I manually top off my macro tank and my 10 gallon RFA tank at the moment and I top off in the morning and night, regardless of how much evaporation there is. If less, I top off less. Better, yet, invest in an ATO. With all the money we all spend on livestock, things like testing, auto top offs to keep salinity stable, are some of the smallest yet most important investments we can make for the health of our tanks. I just ordered new ATOs for both tanks as I'm concerned that I might forget a top off and I'm sure I'm not keeping it as accurate as an ATO does. Just my two cents :)

Cencalfishguy56

I usually do Top off every day. (In the Morning Before I feed)

I hear ya on the ATO. I'll look into it for sure.

tbh if your nems bailed and that bubble coral looks like it's on it's way out but keep up husbandry it can come back, but back to what I said I think it's either A. You have high nitrates and phosphates judging by your WC schedule and observation or B. Your inconsistency of salinity or C. A combination of both that is adding double the stress

tbh if your nems bailed and that bubble coral looks like it's on it's way out but keep up husbandry it can come back, but back to what I said I think it's either A. You have high nitrates and phosphates judging by your WC schedule and observation or B. Your inconsistency of salinity or C. A combination of both that is adding double the stress

Assuming his LFS did test, and was fairly accurate(which I'm doubting ATM.) Nitrates were at 5ppm, and phos was at .5. While .5 is getting into algae growth territory. Neither is high enough to cause any LPS any bother. If anything, they'd probably do a bit better with those levels.

Don't get me wrong. I think you are probably right about having high nitrates. I also think his cal and alk are probably out of whack. I'm leaning more and more towards LFS either not testing correctly, or just telling him everything is spot on.

I did check Nitrates earlier t'day. It looked to beading below 5 but above 0.

Phosphate, haven't tested yet...life got in the way.

Since Stella has told me about my test kit and how to do the Cal and Alk test, I am going to test those tomorrow.

I will certainly keep a closer eye on Salinity more closely. (Every Day)

I did check Nitrates earlier t'day. It looked to beading below 5 but above 0.

Phosphate, haven't tested yet...life got in the way.

Since Stella has told me about my test kit and how to do the Cal and Alk test, I am going to test those tomorrow.

I will certainly keep a closer eye on Salinity more closely. (Every Day)

Make sure you shake each reagent before using it and on both calcium and alk, mix between each drop (turn upside down once). With calcium, put in 12-15 drops or so then mix between each until it turns dark purple.

Cencalfishguy56

Assuming his LFS did test, and was fairly accurate(which I'm doubting ATM.) Nitrates were at 5ppm, and phos was at .5. While .5 is getting into algae growth territory. Neither is high enough to cause any LPS any bother. If anything, they'd probably do a bit better with those levels.

Don't get me wrong. I think you are probably right about having high nitrates. I also think his cal and alk are probably out of whack. I'm leaning more and more towards LFS either not testing correctly, or just telling him everything is spot on.

if both his nems bailed and now his bubble coral something is definitely not right, hmmm idk man I think we are both on the right track just can't put my finger on it, those nitrates can't be that low with so much going wrong and no other variables other than params? I'm stumped

Just curious, I feed the Corals everyday. I have been doing this for 4 or 5 months.

1) Is this too much?

2) Should I cut the feeding down to once a week?

Will post Test results soon.

Cencalfishguy56

Just curious, I feed the Corals everyday. I have been doing this for 4 or 5 months.

1) Is this too much?

2) Should I cut the feeding down to once a week?

Will post Test results soon.

i would cut down your feeding, with WC every few weeks and coral feedings (not fish feedings) I can see your params slowly start to creep, I feed my nems and LPS pellets every other day, but I skim heavy and do a WC every week on a 20L with a 10G sump and it's virtually spotless, I get a light dusting on the glass if I wait two weeks instead of every week

Test results. (Mine)

Salinity 1.024

Nitrates above 0 but less than 5..closer to 2 or 3

Phosphate Less than .25

KH 250

Cal 560

Well, there's your answer. Your alkalinity is almost at 14 dkh. You're essentially burning everything.

This shows 2 things, IMO.

1) don't trust anyone else when it comes to your tank. They don't have anything invested in it.

2) NEVER DOSE WITHOUT TESTING!

Did I forget to mention that I am running a Simple Bubble stone skimmer?

I empty the "Dark" Tea colored water everyday.

Just Changed out Carbon again. I changed it out earlier this week. I have about a cup and a 1/4 in the bag.

Well, there's your answer. Your alkalinity is almost at 14 dkh. You're essentially burning everything.
This shows 2 things, IMO.
1) don't trust anyone else when it comes to your tank. They don't have anything invested in it.
2) NEVER DOSE WITHOUT TESTING!

What "Safe" KH parameters?

Also, where should my Cal be?

Cal around 420. 550 is way high, but I don't think that's the main cause of your coral issues.

Alk should be between 7 and 12 dkh. I don't do ppm, so you'll have to do that conversion yourself. Basically, anything over 12 or under 7, and things start melting.

Archived