Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Five years in... finally gave in and bought Clowns

Cintax

I have had a saltwater aquarium since June 2011. My first fish was a Yellow Watchman Goby whom I still have around today. He sure is a surly fellow, which is part of his charm I think. Anyways, I have owned a few fish since but, in the end, he was the only one that lasted.

I had never really been a Clownfish guy actually which is why I never owned any until now. Every few months the Big Al's in Barrie gets a shipment of captive raised Clownfish. They are always tiny, usually in the 19mm - 25mm (3/4" to 1") range. I had been considering the purchase of some fish add more movement to the aquarium. I was in on Saturday looking for something for this exact purpose when I saw they had some of these Clownfish in stock. Two of them ended up coming home with me.

I have to grind up the NLS 1mm pellets as they don't fit in their mouths yet. These little piglets have been eating everything that I have fed them so far which is great.

I have kept bubble tip anemones for several years which makes for the perfect environment for two little Clownfish. I tried to get some photos but they are quick little guys.

2016-09-12%2017.20.29_zpsyvt7vtbe.jpg

IMG_20160912_172025-ANIMATION_zpsjt92eioIMG_20160912_172025-ANIMATION1_zpsk75nuf

Wow! Awesome anemones! Those clowns must be in heaven. Do you have a full tank shot?

Thanks! I don't have a full tank shot of the aquarium. I am fighting GHA so I am embarrassed to show the whole thing. I have quite a few anemones now but I started with two of them. I have eight of the green bubble tip anemones and two red/orange bubble tip anemones. I have been hoping that the red/orange anemones would divide again as I would like to have more of them. Some of those anemones have six inch discs. I am surprised they haven't split more.

2016-08-19%2017.18.03_zpsmwxunwk1.jpg

2016-09-01%2023.30.03-1_zpstm011yop.jpg

I love clowns. Their what got me into this. And their currently my only fish. I might get a YWG later

When I was ten my parents bought a house which had a freshwater aquarium in the basement built into the wall of the bar. We always had fake plants but pretty fish like angels. I remember going to Critter Cove on Barrie road to pick out fish as a child. At that time they had a section of saltwater tanks and I recall being amazed at the colour of the yellow tang and the royal gramma they had. Years later, I bought a book called "Your first marine aquarium" by John Tollock from them. After reading it, I thought that there was no way I could maintain such a thing so I let it go. As an adult I decided that I would eventually have a saltwater aquarium and five years ago I started that journey. I have had quite a few ups and downs with the tank, I made a few mistakes like buying someone else tank and not replacing the sand. That decision still comes to haunt me now and then (especially lately). Oh well, if you don't learn something, what is the point of doing it, right?

As for the YWG, I say go for it. I love mine and his surly expression always makes me smile. You can see a photo of him looking at me with haughty derision in my avatar.

My mother always had fresh water aquariums when I was growing up. I guess that's where this came from.

Like you as a child in the late 80s early 90s I remember being amazed by the colors of the salt water fish. Back then it was really really complicated. now its nothing compared to that. My aunt had one 87' 88' I would go over and just stare at it. But she didn't have live rock back then. Just coral skeletons for filtration.

My mother always had fresh water aquariums when I was growing up. I guess that's where this came from.

Like you as a child in the late 80s early 90s I remember being amazed by the colors of the salt water fish. Back then it was really really complicated. now its nothing compared to that. My aunt had one 87' 88' I would go over and just stare at it. But she didn't have live rock back then. Just coral skeletons for filtration.

It's funny how they went from these complex system ideas to being able to keep these nano and pico reefs. Imagine if you told someone back then that Brandon429 would have that pico reef going on ten years.

That's cute!!!

Thanks! They hung out in the anemones seemingly all day. When I fed them, they would dart out from the anemone, grab a hunk of food, then dart back into the safety of the anemone.

Archived