ReefCleaners.org

T5 Hybrid Build Input

HM3105

Diffusers will NOT fix shadowing. It will ONLY lessen the shimmer but create a more uniform light ( no separated colors ).

Do not worry about shadowing when you are using a Hybrid. The T5s will fill in those gaps.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diffusers will NOT fix shadowing. It will ONLY lessen the shimmer but create a more uniform light ( no separated colors ).

Do not worry about shadowing when you are using a Hybrid. The T5s will fill in those gaps.

Thanks Dave, do you think that reflector I linked is worth trying to? One of the thing I dislike about my current LEDs which don't have reflectors is the light spill. I'm planning to mount this thing pretty close to the surface though so I'm not sure how that will impact things.

So I starting worrying about my original planned layout resulting in 6" of tank space front and back being lost. I wasn't sure how much spread the T5's would provide but I presume that they're not going to make up the difference. So I wondered if the below would give me more coverage of the 30" tank width. Also, what is the shadowing going to be like, better, worse or the same?

post-81810-0-74270700-1475360823_thumb.jpg

My main caution with using reflectors sans any color mixing element (diffuser) is they have a tendency to have colored bright spots especially if the reflector is a faceted design. One LED will align perfectly with one facet and make a mirror like color spot. I'd always shoot for some kind of color mixing element to reduce that effect.

T5 down the center is a pretty good bet IMO - if you're worried about delivering light into the tank, you can also angle the LED arrays inwards a few degrees which reduces light waste down the walls of the tank.

In terms of shadowing? Its about the same. Point lights will produce bigger shadows. The diffusers help somewhat as the area of the point light is enlarged to the size of the diffuser (depending on the material - this is why I went for the more lossy wide diffusion satin ice material), but its no match for the area radiator of a T5 lamp whatsoever.

Ok brain trust, is this the correct ballast to run by T5?

I know this will do 4 lamps, I wanted to get something bigger then I needed in case I wanted add bulbs later. Of course, I'm making a stupid assumption the ballast works like that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MRRPK6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2D7TDDNLE3YGS&coliid=I1ZQKZ0DZQLSLN

That same ballast is 35 bucks at home depot. It's also the right one to buy. You are also going to need unshunted endcaps.

Also do yourself a favor and buy 18ga 600v solid core wire. Mcmaster has 25ft spools of all the colors for cheap. I spent less than 30 bucks on 25 ft spools of 5 different colors.

That same ballast is 35 bucks at home depot. It's also the right one to buy. You are also going to need unshunted endcaps.

Also do yourself a favor and buy 18ga 600v solid core wire. Mcmaster has 25ft spools of all the colors for cheap. I spent less than 30 bucks on 25 ft spools of 5 different colors.

Thanks Gus!

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Some input on changing up my original build slightly.

If I went with this: https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-FLT46-Fixture-Included-Fluorescent/dp/B005H1C74O/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Swapped out the ballasts for these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MRRPK6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2D7TDDNLE3YGS&coliid=I1ZQKZ0DZQLSLN

Remove 2 bulbs and replaced with 8 blueacro half mega arrays, is that excessive?

jedimasterben

You're going to be lacking in the width department, but probably not the biggest deal since almost no one keeps coral in the extreme front or back.

Do you think 6 t5 would be enough for this tank?

I have the same footprint on mine and running a 8 bulb with 2 pulled for the arrays.......so 6 bulbs......I can grow anything I am sure :lol: its lie the sun above the tank when all the lights are on :wacko:

I think it make sense if I buy the 8 bulb unit and decide I want LEDS I can swap out. I'm just really enamored with the blueacro arrays though

Ok so now no LEDs ? I thought you were asking about 6 bulbs with the arrays.......

I would go 8 bulb if no LEDs.

I'm being indecisive..I just can't decide between t5 and LED/t5 hybrid

hybrid you know you want to but your wallet is saying T5s :lol:

Hybrid is the least expensive option. The t5 will cost 30%-50% more over 5 years. The hybrid cost equals the t5 after one bulb change. I'm just worried about coverage and growth. Part of my brain says that the t5 will juice growth enough to cover the difference from frag sales.

Hybrid is the least expensive option. The t5 will cost 30%-50% more over 5 years. The hybrid cost equals the t5 after one bulb change. I'm just worried about coverage and growth. Part of my brain says that the t5 will juice growth enough to cover the difference from frag sales.

Factor in the juice to run them ;) I know the bulbs are not cheap.

I think in the end you will not like just T5s as there is no shimmer and also the heat factor involved. I remember the days of T5s only and did not like the look much.

Archived