SaltCritters.com

Stupid xenia

MrsPeet15

I know right, everyone is going to think my tank is flooded with Xenia and I can't get the damn things out....... But:

My friend bought me a frag of these a few months ago knowing I love them. My plan is to *hopefully* get the to grow up the back wall. I popped then in the back corner once they had recovered from transport pretty close to the back wall, and after hearing how quick they grow, assumed they would latch on. A month and a half later, no latching. My mithrax took it upon himself to move them during a spectacular tantrum so back to square one last week. I literally have them pushed against the back wall now, they are still thriving but no latchy. My question for you lovely people is:

- has anyone attempted this?

- how long did they take to latch?

- has anyone tried this and had absolutely no luck whatsoever?

-is it a given that eventually they will latch on?

I can't give params untill I can grab another kit from our LFS (I know right, always keep spares?!) but the mushroom is thriving and our leather is bouncing back from a lengthy but now healthy looking shed. Salinity is bang on 1.025, the livestock is thriving, breeding and eating. They pulsed for about 10 minutes when they first went in but never have since despite being healthy. I have water changed today.

I'd really love to do this. Our current tank is tiny and has no room for spectacular rock scapes so I am hoping to liven the tank up with some Xenia on the back wall.

I hear ya MrsPeet.

I Have some GSP and it seems to be slow growing. It is on the sand bed so I can trim as needed when it does grow.

I have heard that this coral can take over.

With that said, our LFS has some Galaxea Coral. I really like it and would like to do what ur talking about with ur Xenia.

Maybe u could "Glue" the frag to ur wall?

this is a Pic of the Galaxea.

http://www.golden-ina.com/gallery/Galaxea.jpg

I hear ya MrsPeet.

I Have some GSP and it seems to be slow growing. It is on the sand bed so I can trim as needed when it does grow.

With that said, our LFS has some Galaxea Coral. I really like it and would like to do what ur talking about with ur Xenia.

Astinus that looks beautiful!!! How would you suggest glueing it? In fairness to it, this is the first day I have really squished it against the tank wall, I just can't believe after all of the horro stories I have heard about Xenia growing like mad I'm struggling to get this thing to go. Do you think maybe water flow etc could play a part?

I did this with GSP, Xenia and blue clove polyps.

The trick is, to glue the plug, or rock it's on. You won't be able to glue the coral itself.

Xenia spreads pretty quickly. But it'll spread on the glass better if it's attached. That way, the stalks are already reaching upwards, allowing them to attach to the glass because they are always in contact with it. Bad explanation, but you get the idea.

Honestly, I think it is just a matter of time and patience.

Gluing, Super Glue Gel, Epoxy and Super glue gel.

There is a Thread, might be a sticky in Coral forum about gluing frags.

I know some folks have glued to the back wall. I haven't tried it yet.

As far as Xenia Growing conditions, I would Google (I do this all the time)

And generally use Live Aquaria's link from Google.

Here is the link to Gluing.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/_/livestock/how-to-glue-coral-frags-r14

I posted this before. Steer clear of Galaxia. That shit is nasty mean. I'm not exaggerating one bit, either. It'll kill everything within 8 to 10 inches of it.

I did this with GSP, Xenia and blue clove polyps.

The trick is, to glue the plug, or rock it's on. You won't be able to glue the coral itself.

Xenia spreads pretty quickly. But it'll spread on the glass better if it's attached. That way, the stalks are already reaching upwards, allowing them to attach to the glass because they are always in contact with it. Bad explanation, but you get the idea.

Ok sounds good, I checked the glueing thread out, cannot get over the fact you can put superglue in a tank!! I mean ACTUALLY in it!! The only problem is the frag that it's on is an ugly ass piece of rock that is sort of wishbone shape but I guess I could chip it down? It's just so daunting doing it for the very first time, everything seems extra fragile/volatile!!

I hear ya MrsPeet.

What did I tell you about that damn Galaxea? If Satan came back as a coral, that's what he'd look like!

To the OP, Xenia will grow in cycles sometimes. If your alkalinity is low, it won't grow and might just up and melt.

What did I tell you about that damn Galaxea? If Satan came back as a coral, that's what he'd look like!

To the OP, Xenia will grow in cycles sometimes. If your alkalinity is low, it won't grow and might just up and melt.

I posted this before. Steer clear of Galaxia. That shit is nasty mean. I'm not exaggerating one bit, either. It'll kill everything within 8 to 10 inches of it.

TY Ray. I either forgot (Most likely) or was unaware.

^ This ;)

Ok sounds good, I checked the glueing thread out, cannot get over the fact you can put superglue in a tank!! I mean ACTUALLY in it!! The only problem is the frag that it's on is an ugly ass piece of rock that is sort of wishbone shape but I guess I could chip it down? It's just so daunting doing it for the very first time, everything seems extra fragile/volatile!!

Once you've got a few stalks growing on the glass/false wall/overflow/whatever, you can pop the frag off. Super glue has a strong bond, but doesn't hold up well to lateral force. Put a screwdriver, or knife tip under a corner and pry up. The whole thing will let go without much force. Then be sure to give away that frag.

As stinky said, low alk will melt it away. However, IME, zoas are more prone to low alk, than Xenia. Jme, though.

Also don't forget that they like the water a bit on the dirty side... Good luck on this I think it will look awesome.

For myself I have GSP on a rock that's close to the glass and I'm seeing "runners" of GSP stretching out the 2" or so to clear the gap. I'm actually looking forward to having it on the glass the only problem is that it's already near the top of the tank so I think it will have a slower downward growth rate vs. had I intentionally attached it near the bottom of the tank. I actually had a tiny bit stick to my mag scraper the other day as well...

Once you've got a few stalks growing on the glass/false wall/overflow/whatever, you can pop the frag off. Super glue has a strong bond, but doesn't hold up well to lateral force. Put a screwdriver, or knife tip under a corner and pry up. The whole thing will let go without much force. Then be sure to give away that frag.

As stinky said, low alk will melt it away. However, IME, zoas are more prone to low alk, than Xenia. Jme, though.

Thanks Ray that's good to know, I might give it a bash next week if squishing them up agains the rock doesn't work

I'm going to pick an alk lit up too just so I can keep an eye on them. They look perfectly healthy but it can't hurt to test for low alk if I have them in the tank. I don't know if our water will really count as dirty? We change water once a month as it's such a little tank, would this build up enough nasty goodness for them in the water do you think?

Once a month is probably perfect. You have no fish, correct?

Just a little clown goby nothing else. We actually upped the water changes to once a month once we got him. We probably left it too long before to be honest.

I have done this with GSP. I have Xenia starting to grow on the sides of the overflow now.

6ACE7816-8A1D-4A5D-B283-157532096422.jpg

Lawn it looks so pretty!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i just got a rock that had about 10 stalks of waving hand xenia. I placed it in a spot that was between my rock formation and the glass. It's been a week and more than half of them have crawled up the glass. I had no idea that this would happen and it just did with no effort by me. most of them have moved off the rock they came on and moved up the existing rock formation and onto the glass. I have a pretty strong flow so the only thing I can attribute to them wandering is too strong of flow on the bottom of my tank so now they're moving upwards.

try to aim a pump or powerhead on them at low level and see if they climb upwards like mine did!

Archived