ReefCleaners.org

LEDs to Grow Chaeto in 2016

TheStar

Old topic I know but...I searched up and down and most of the information on here was from 2011/2012.

Anyone have a recommendation for LED's to grow chaeto in the sump of my RSM 130D?

I'm hoping there is an easy/cheap solution. Maybe something submersible or a really cheap screw in grow light? Something from Home Depot?

I have seen the JBJ Nano Glo but $50 seems like way too much.

Ideal would likely be a PAR30 grow-light with a mix of red/blue or violet LEDS

If shopping options are limited to what's at a local hardware store? Anything in the 2700-6000K range should do fine even at low "wattages".

Does it have to look good? Can't beat a simple spiral CFL in an aluminum clamp work light... Should cost you like $6-8...

Combined with good flow and some dirty water you should be good to grow (see what I did there?)

Old topic I know but...I searched up and down and most of the information on here was from 2011/2012.

Anyone have a recommendation for LED's to grow chaeto in the sump of my RSM 130D?

I'm hoping there is an easy/cheap solution. Maybe something submersible or a really cheap screw in grow light? Something from Home Depot?

I have seen the JBJ Nano Glo but $50 seems like way too much.

I use the Nano Glo on my 5G Nano, grows my cheato like a charm. Actually debating on one for my Refugium on my larger system.

That light is pretty baller - but IME more light isn't always better. More light means a faster growth rate and also means it will need more nutrients. Eventually the nutrients get so low that the tank suffers and eventually so does the chaeto too.

IME it's better to provide the right amount of light given the tank conditions. If you have a high bioload then a higher intensity light will grow the chaeto faster (in theory) but would also require more frequent trimming and a careful eye on the nutrient level of the water.

To summarize, if you want macros in your tank you need to consider them and play a dual role of reef keeper and gardener.

Awesome find, that's a great price for the 10w and should grow cheato well. The additional red may favor micro algae slightly, but this is otherwise an ideal solution.

If growing cheato you also do not have to place the light above the sump. You can also place it on the side nearly touching the glass. Ideal would be to have a low power led on top / behind / and in front of the sump. Though If you can keep your cheato tumbling, this isn't necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JB12N7M/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1473508233&sr=8-10π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=10w+white+led

However, having had a red/blue spectrum led over a sump I'm inclined to suggest a white light. The problem with the horticulture lights is that they may be good for plants...but you can't see anything in your sump while they're on. You need a white light anyway to check things out / work - so at that point you might as well be growing with one. The linked light looks pretty efficient, is waterproof, and would grow cheato well.

• 3 weeks later...

The LED gives off a ton more light and allows me to look at stuff throughout the sump. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount it to the top of the sump. Don't think a screw would be a good idea up there.

Cencalfishguy56

Not sure I want to spend 40.00 for a chaeto light.

A nice sleek gooseneck would be sweet tho

lol I only bought it because I had 2.5 gallon macro tank but now I use it for my fuge in my sump and it works like a charm I thought I paid $30 for mine? Idk it's been a while lol

Archived