inTank Media Baskets

Vodka - help with solution strenght / declaration in Europe

mpad

Hey guys, I have been reading the vodka guides here and just want to make sure I don't get screwed in my calculations by different international standards and number conversion.

For the calculations, 100% solution strenght mentioned in the guides equals 80 proof / 40% vol. Vodka?

So if I have a 35% vol. Vodka at home, this would equal 87,5% solution strenght?

Right?

Or does the solution strenght mentioned already refer to the % alcohol value?

I think Proof = 1/2 Alcohol.

80 proof is 40% Alcohol.

So, if ur saying u have 35% Alcohol that would = 70 Proof.

I don't drink, so, I am not positive.

Yeah that is right, but I was referring to the solution strenght wich is mentioned. So if I want to thin out the vodka with water to get lower dosage, the baseline for calculations is 100 % solution is 40% alcohol

50% solution is 20% alcohol

?

I'm just curious what vodka (brand) is only 70 proof. That is basically unheard of at any liquor store I've been in lately. Yes I drink ;) but I prefer bourbon. Not for my tank. I will eventually get into this whole thing but I'm not attempting it on a small tank. I see people using vinegar instead of vodka, so I guess I was under the assumption that it wasn't really directly a matter of alc content but I have no idea really.

Anyways, just consider this a bump since I want to know what brand of vodka is 35%.

• 2 weeks later...

Vodka dosing can be risky, its done by very experienced reefers.

I know some do it but you have to be very careful on the measurements when dosing.

"80 proof" is 40% alcohol by volume (most of the other 60% is water). If an 150 proof beverage is mixed half-and-half with water, the drink is 75 proof

100% solution is typically 80 proof, yes. Though, I don't think using 70, or 75 proof would make much of a difference. Vodka is used because it's typically just alcohol and water. No flavorings, or colorings. Not because of its alcohol content. One could use grain alcohol and achieve the same results.

I don't typically dose myself. Im not big on ULN systems. However, what are you planning on doing? Typically, vodka is dosed straight, regardless of alcohol content. I've never seen it mixed with water, and used as top off. I think that could be pretty dangerous.

Typically, you'd start off with tiny amounts, then build, until the desired level is reached. Once you know what your daily dose is (we're talking 1 to 1.5 ml on smaller tanks.) That's dosed once a day, at the same time every day. Bacteria can reproduce extremely fast, given the right conditions. Alcohol supplies an easily utilized carbon source. Dosing once a day gives you a "controlled bloom" of bacteria. then the skimmer is turned back on to remove the majority of the bacteria, along with the nutrients they've consumed.

If you are planning on using it mixed in your top off water, I think you'd end up with a bacterial problem. It's too constant.

Archived