Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rock and water volume.

Jayva

I have a 7lb rock doing very well in my 6G pico with a clown pair and CUC. Here's my question.

If I upgrade to 25-30 gallons. And not change my live stock. Will that 7lb rock still filter the way it's filtering now.

Im just upping the water volume not the stock itself.

I'm asking because i hate rock hunting. And monitoring and worrying especially when I have livestock to transfer.

Yes, it will continue the process of biological filtration.

Why are you moving to a larger tank with no change in live stock?

More coral lol. I love coral more then fish. Plus 6G isn't suitable for clown pair. Even tho their babies

CollegeNanoKid

I had an 8 Gallon with about 5 lbs rock and upgraded to a 20 gallon tank. It was fine. Just don't change the livestock or bio-load. I also got new sand when I did the move. I usually don't feed very heavy after a move for a few days. Good luck. Should be just fine.

I had an 8 Gallon with about 5 lbs rock and upgraded to a 20 gallon tank. It was fine. Just don't change the livestock or bio-load. I also got new sand when I did the move. I usually don't feed very heavy after a move for a few days. Good luck. Should be just fine.

I'm transferring everything. Sand rock filter media. Even the water. I don't wanna set off any mini cycles. Sands less then a month old so I shouldn't be letting too much junk out by disturbing it. To be safe I'll run the 6G barebottom and without rock for a day or two with prime. Also feeding I skip a day.

blast rinse out your sandbed again before installation, perfect intercept time. does not alter its filtration bacteria, it removes one month of waste that will normally just accumulate again. it should be rinsed well enough that it cannot cloud in the new tank. this is done on my tank a couple times a year, its powerful method for cyano control.

blast rinse out your sandbed again before installation, perfect intercept time. does not alter its filtration bacteria, it removes one month of waste that will normally just accumulate again. it should be rinsed well enough that it cannot cloud in the new tank. this is done on my tank a couple times a year, its powerful method for cyano control.

Rinse with fresh water won't that kill the bacteria

nope for sure. im preparing a vid right now that shows me rinsing mine with cold tap, these bacteria are bioinsulated, and the ones in the sandbed aren't the critical filters the live rock has more surface area. they are incidental, and specifically rinsing doesn't kill the bac this w help:

http://reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-sand-rinse-thread-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

its not that you have to rinse, the bed is pretty new. its that now is a fine time to get trust in the system that you can/ this is critical for fixing things later on. sandbeds are liabilities in nano reef, but not when they're reset as often as you want.

+1 to what Brandon said. And no it won't hurt anything I do it every week (to a portion of my sand)

Your upgrade plan is good. I would recommend getting dry rock from reefcleaners to beef up the new, larger tank.

Move rocks and fish into bigger tank, clean sand and add that . Then you can add clean dry rock and eventually you'll have capacity for more corals, more fish, whatever you want. That's what I did when I went from 15g to 40b

Brandon - I try to use 80ish degree tap water, feel like it's better for them, or maybe it just makes me feel better haha. Then one or two rinse with RODI water before putting the sand back

yes agreed that's good call, and to add to funny unnecessary tank stressors my little 2 min pico vid shows all my corals and rocks out on plates on the counter, in the air, and that was a 30 min out of water session I just edited it down lol

my reef is conditioned like a cross fit runner. you can literally flip it like a pancake with tap water in between and it doesn't recycle, 30 mins in the cold air at 1 am. bulletproof biologically, yet a nerf ball could destroy it instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqk566GqksE

Archived