Coral Vue Hydros

Get in the LOOP

Marine Depot

Wonder how that new light will perform.

I think it's pretty safe to say the light will perform great as there have been several iterations of Orbit LED fixtures to date.

What we're really looking forward to getting our salty hands on and trying out is their LOOP network to sync their lights, powerheads, and DC return pump together.

There's a bit more info on their website if you want to check it out: link

I'm also curious how the new light performs in comparison to the original orbit marine which I've been running for the past 15 months. Glad to see they are using the sleek form factor of the original Orbit Marine as opposed to the bulkier Orbit Marine Pro.

From reviewing the manuals:

Wattage sounds comparable, but number of LED's are halved and arranged in 2 rows instead of 3. Spectral channels now include Red and Green in addition to the previous Blue and White. (based on 36"-48" model)

Programming is different. According to the new manual, this new IC version of the controller has introduced an intermediate intensity stage for sunrise/sunset (30 minute duration during ramp) as well as the integration of weather events into the daily schedule. However, it appears that some other programmability may have been sacrificed, such as the adjustment of the ramp duration (previously adjustable from 0 to 30 minutes) and moonlight duration (previously adjustable in 1-hour increments up to 6). These may still be programmable, but I didn't see them described in the manual.

Are there other differences? Are the LED's more efficient at the same wattage consumption?

Also, any word on whether or not this can be integrated with APEX in any way? (I'm guessing that's not possible or they'd have prominently mentioned it)

• Like 1

I'm also curious how the new light performs in comparison to the original orbit marine which I've been running for the past 15 months. Glad to see they are using the sleek form factor of the original Orbit Marine as opposed to the bulkier Orbit Marine Pro.

Wattage sounds comparable, but number of LED's are halved and arranged in 2 rows instead of 3. Spectral channels now include Red and Green in addition to the previous Blue and White. (based on 36"-48" model)

Programming is different. According to the new manual, this new IC version of the controller has introduced an intermediate intensity stage for sunrise/sunset (30 minute duration during ramp) as well as the integration of weather events into the daily schedule. However, it appears that some other programmability may have been sacrificed, such as the adjustment of the ramp duration (previously adjustable from 0 to 30 minutes) and moonlight duration (previously adjustable in 1-hour increments up to 6). These may still be programmable, but I didn't see them described in the manual.

Are there other differences? Are the LED's more efficient at the same wattage consumption?

Also, any word on whether or not this can be integrated with APEX in any way? (I'm guessing that's not possible or they'd have prominently mentioned it)

Hi, holy carp! Great observations and questions.

I've reached out to Current USA directly so they can respond to your inquiries so I can ensure you receive only accurate responses from the source.

As soon as I hear back, I will post their reply here for you and other interested parties to read!

UPDATE 9/7/16 @ 4:04 pm PST

I haven't heard back quite yet.

I confirmed Current-USA is going to be at MACNA this weekend, so if I don't get a response before the weekend I will personally go pester them in their booth. LOL Plus, I'm excited to go check out their new gear in person anyway.

I promise we'll get you the answers you seek, but do appreciate your patience in the meantime!

I will set a reminder to check back in with you Monday.

UPDATE 9/12/16 @ 2:01 pm PST

I followed up with Current-USA this morning now that MACNA 2016 has concluded to see if I can get you that information you requested. Thank you for your continued patience!

• Like 2

Heard back from Current-USA today! :grouphug: Here is what they told us:

• The light is using updated CREE/Osram LED chips, so it produces ~20% more light.
  • The Orbit IC also uses the same dome lenses we use on the Orbit Marine PRO, so the PAR in the tank is ~30-40% higher than the Orbit Marine.
  • The LOOP Controller is similar to the Ramp Timer PRO, however does feature 4 channels of color (vs. 2), daily weather forecasting and integrated 3 channel wave pump control (the Orbit Marine has none of this.)
  • The LOOP Controller also is Bluetooth upgradeable. Customers whom register the product will be shipped a free Bluetooth USB Stick, allowing them to control the light via their mobile device.
  • It is not compatible with the Apex system.
Hope that helps! :flower:
  • Like 1

Thanks for following up. Sounds like they've made a pretty reasonable improvement for the original form factor. When is the pre-order deadline?

I talked with Current-USA at MACNA about this special offer. They confirmed the free pump promotion will conclude at the end of the month. We have our banners timed to come down at midnight 9/30 (unless we hear of an extension between now and then). Thinking of pulling the trigger? ;)

14237664_10154417582830941_7324952406922

14333724_10154417582475941_8907173781071

14317331_10154417582450941_3480632946824

14311432_10154417582390941_3541474535841

14333775_10154417582330941_3990297424867

14317319_10154417582280941_1169300101328

• 11 months later...

Has anyone heard of when the Bluetooth controller will be available? Is this an additional purchase or are they really sending out sticks to those that register their lights/pumps? 

I've played with the demo app and needless to say... It's exciting. :naughtydance:

• Like 1
Marine Depot
On 8/30/2017 at 9:30 AM, JcSH2o said:

Has anyone heard of when the Bluetooth controller will be available? Is this an additional purchase or are they really sending out sticks to those that register their lights/pumps? 

I've played with the demo app and needless to say... It's exciting. :naughtydance:

Sorry for not responding sooner. I typed this up yesterday and thought I posted it. We should begin taking pre-orders in September and fulfilling those orders in October (hopefully sooner).

Current USA says it is not a stick. It is an entirely new control control system with more features—including temperature and audio.

Discounts will be offered to to hobbyists who already purchased LOOP-enabled products and registered them with Current USA.

We intend to film a video in September about the Bluetooth unit and LOOP app. In October, you can see the LOOP system in action in our booth at Reef-A-Palooza California!

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 1
  • Recommended Discussions