Cultivated Reef

are there any schooling nano-fish?

Friendly

some of the cardinals might work but 30G is a bit small for any of the schooling fish/they are unlikely to school anyway unless you have a slightly more threatening fish which again wouldn't really fit in a 30.

They're rare as hen's teeth here in the US, but supposedly trimma tevegae gobies will shoal. Not quite the same thing but about all that fits in the ball park..

And if you find some they're MINE, you hear me?! MINE MINE MINE MINE! ;)

Shoaling, there are a few. For that small of a tank, red spot cardinals would be your best bet. Difficult fish, but not impossible. Another thought, more difficult, and harder to come by, would be dwarf dart fish. Tiny, tiny, little fish that need live food, and need it often.

okay, so essentially it's not a reasonable expectation. schooling...shoaling, I'd be happy with either, but being so new to SW (not even having a tank set up yet), if they're hard to find, or harder to care for, not my dish. :)

thank you all! :)

I've been looking for Apogon Hoeveni or flagfin, or frostfin cardinal fish. They are really little and will not survive unless in a group. I have not seen them in the hobby so I was thinking of getting an importer to find them for me.

Yellow stripe cardinalfish is also a good option.

There's a few tiny species, but they're insanely hard to care for at first and have short lifespans. If there's no other fish you could fit 5-8 blue streak cardinals in a 30.

Meh - we've all wanted it at some point or another but the number of times I've come across a successful attempt at keeping groups of nano-sized shoaling fish are few - if any really. And if you see some they're likely not set up for the long term.

IMO if you're just getting into the hobby stick with things that aren't difficult to care for.

Archived