SaltCritters.com

Coral? I hope...

GunslingerGirl

GunslingerGirl

So I have had this rock for .... 4 ish years? It came uncured and slowly things have come and mostly gone of the last 4 years. As they do..

So moved it into a bigger tank couple of days ago... come home from lab today... and BOOM I see these guys popping out...

So I go to grab my aiptasia x and then I think... are those coming out of that skeleton? Holy crap they are! So there are two heads... I snagged a pic of the larger one.

Not sure if the dead head previously continued something and I missed it? Don't know... don't care at this point I guess.

So what is it? A coral like I'm hoping...? Some euphyllia?

It had some minor recoil from being poked with a chopstick. But didn't do back into the skeleton entirely. Fluffed back up in like two minutes.

Horrible picture: (I will try for a better one in a second here but I was too excited omgomgomg )

14192740_10207099070375313_2856018042140

GunslingerGirl

How exciting! You should keep us posted on what it is. The skeleton looks like some type of euphyllia. Congratulations!

i'm going to name it Trooper if that is what it actually is.. because who the hell knows how it survived my dumb butt and my laziness for 4 plus years trapped wherever it was..

But yay one vote for euphyllia! (1.5 if you count my biased one.)

I guess I am going to give each head one half of a mysis and see what it does....

Better pictures would help. However, if it's been without light for 4 years (just assuming it was), I'd guess it's more likely to be a hidden cup coral. Though with that bulging mouth, it could also be some type of Balanophyllia....

Another thought. It's not entirely unheard of for euphyllia to spawn. There used to be an lfs I frequented that had them in every tank in their system. All from one coral, in one tank. Though, they more often tend to drop babies.

Better pictures would help. However, if it's been without light for 4 years (just assuming it was), I'd guess it's more likely to be a hidden cup coral. Though with that bulging mouth, it could also be some type of Balanophyllia.... Another thought. It's not entirely unheard of for euphyllia to spawn. There used to be an lfs I frequented that had them in every tank in their system. All from one coral, in one tank. Though, they more often tend to drop babies.

I'm with Ray. Looks like a hidden cup.

GunslingerGirl

Ok hidden cup definitely seems more likely as it was maricultured Florida LR. Hmm either way... nifty.

Just keep feeding the little guys? Do they get much larger?

Never heard of these guys til now. Learn something new everyday!

GunslingerGirl

Non photosynthetic. Light won't bother them, though. Typical LPS treatment will suit them just fine.

Easy enough! Thanks!

Archived