ReefCleaners.org

Chemical warfare, shed, or bleaching?

MrsPeet15

My leather looks grumpy :( damn these things are a PITA

So the mushroom chose his spot underneath the leather. Nothing else in the tank suffering from the light, but my leather looks a bit odd. Is the mushroom bothering it, or is it shedding? Last time it shed it didn't go white. It's still poking a few polyps out and its size has stayed the same:

image_zpsrvvjtvfm.jpeg

Any advice is appreciated :)

nancymatthews

Can you move that leather, just to be safe?

I've had leathers that looked like they were dying and then several days later, they shed their skin and then they are back to normal.

Can you move that leather, just to be safe?

I've had leathers that looked like they were dying and then several days later, they shed their skin and then they are back to normal.

Hey Nancy, I probably could but it's pretty nestled into it's spot, I'm worried that tearing it out of there might further aggravate it? It's been like this a week or so now. Last time I suspected it was shedding, it took about 2 weeks to recover, does this seem about right?

nancymatthews

As long as you see those poylps poking out, it's not dying. If it wants to be stubborn and take it's time to shed, then just leave it there. If it were dying, it would be dead by now and it would look disgusting if it were dead. It's stem is still holding up strong from that photo. I think it will be okay and it's trying to freak you out :)

Also, when my leather died, it flopped over and changed its color to gray then it practically melted.

As long as you see those poylps poking out, it's not dying. If it wants to be stubborn and take it's time to shed, then just leave it there. If it were dying, it would be dead by now and it would look disgusting if it were dead. It's stem is still holding up strong from that photo. I think it will be okay and it's trying to freak you out :)

Also, when my leather died, it flopped over and changed its color to gray then it practically melted.

That's good to hear, phew! Yeah it's still showing polyps so I think I'll leave it for now, it was just the white colour on it that alarmed me. They're so temperamental aren't they!!

Yes, they are temperamental. Lol. Like a preteen girl.

Agreed. Lights have just gone on in the tank and it looks thoroughly miserable today ?

Poor thing. Have you tested water lately? What's your salinity?

Salinity stable, params - I've run out of test kit and need a new one but everything else in the tank seemed super happy, I think it was just being a dick tbh, it's looking far far better today! I've just done a regular water change so going to keep an eye on it, but I'm fairly confident it was a lengthy shed but thanks for the reassurance I was starting to flap a bit!! It's doubled in size since I last posted.

I wasn't ignoring you btw for some reason this page doesn't notify me properly when I get a notification! ?

Check your alkalinity, soft corals are more sensitive to this and magnesium than calcium. Make sure it's getting good flow as well.

Hey StinkyBunny, thanks for the advice, I'll check for alk asap. It's looking far better now tbh. It's getting good flow for sure. Will keep an alk kit handy going forwards I think!

Archived