Pod Your Reef

Just got a 'hug' from my emerald crab

MrsPeet15

I haven't been on in a while. My husband is playing FIFA and I'm browsing the forums and thought I'd ask a question...

Today I was cleaning my tank and my Xenia still haven't latched onto the back wall as I hoped. I stuck my hand in to lean them right up against the glass, when my emeral ran out and latched onto my finger - OW. Then the little sod grabbed the Xenia frag and proceeded to drag it into his hidey hole. After several cuddles off the guy I managed to get it back off him and get them into position which made me wonder.... Who has tales of any 'hugs', stings, nips and other unpleasantries from the world of reefing?

My friend had a landslide that resulted in her spending most of the afternoon up to her elbows in the tank. She was seriously ill for a week after and ended up with septicaemia. She's convinced to this day that in all of the chaos in her tank something stung her or released something into the water that made her Ill. Anyone have a story to share?

Once I got bit by a clownfish. Not just a little nip, but a real bite that left a mark (almost drew blood). She had more power in her JAWS than I would have thought possible. Just when you thought it was safe to do tank maintenance.

Once I got bit by a clownfish. Not just a little nip, but a real bite that left a mark (almost drew blood). She had more power in her JAWS than I would have thought possible. Just when you thought it was safe to do tank maintenance.

Our Clown is quite defensive in her "Territory" as well. Territory being the entire tank!

Yes. :blush:

And I squealed.

Ow ow ow! Would never have imagined a fish of all things could leave a mark like that! I think I turned the air in the room blue when the crab grabbed hold of me ?

My clown constantly attacks me.

I wear gloves when working in the tank and she grips onto them.

Doing a water change is very interesting now.

I once got a sting from a coral in my tank, I wear gloves all the time now due to that.

Your friend certainly could have gotten ill from something in the water, even bacteria. If she/he had a small cut, anything could enter the body via a small wound.

My clown constantly attacks me.

I wear gloves when working in the tank and she grips onto them.

Doing a water change is very interesting now.

I once got a sting from a coral in my tank, I wear gloves all the time now due to that.

Your friend certainly could have gotten ill from something in the water, even bacteria. If she/he had a small cut, anything could enter the body via a small wound.

Scary isn't it really? I've heard about palytoxins and things like that? Bet a sting from a coral wasn't a pleasant experience, did you know which one it was?

Oh yeah! I actually have anxiety about moving rocks / corals on the end 1/4 of my tank near "her overflow" My female clown swims full force - mouth open - ramming your hand, pretty wild.

Haha! Recently my male ocellaris clownfish started to defend the pair's territory and would try to intimidate my hand (would even test nip at me). He would watch my face to see when I wasn't looking, then would make his move. I eventually started wearing those extra thick aqua gloves when working anywhere near him. For some reason he was afraid of the gloves, but I knew that even if he full out bit me, I'd hardly feel anything. Bring it on!

For some reason, I feel that if you show fear, they actually become more aggressive. Not sure how true that is.

You folks got some unruly clownfish. I always hand fed my clowns, as well as many of my fish. They don't bite the hand that feeds.

Now aquascaping or cleaning when I had my blue ring octopus was always am exciting time. Can't tell you how many times I got the shit scared out of me by a blue and yellow flash next to my hand.

fishfreak0114

[quote name="seabass" post="5392281" timestamp="

For some reason, I feel that if you show fear, they actually become more aggressive. Not sure how true that is.

That's how mine are, if I don't hesitate and just go about my business (rather quickly) the female is less likely to attack. However if I hesitate and hover and pay too much attention to the fish, I've got a hard bite coming my way

I grabbed a rock with lots of bristle worms on it. The pain was unique and not pleasant.

I just discovered a legit fireworm in my tank as well - about an inch from where I grabbed a rock... I ripped as much of it as I could out of the hole with tweezers but I think I left some chunks - hopefully it doesn't regenerate.

You folks got some unruly clownfish. I always hand fed my clowns, as well as many of my fish. They don't bite the hand that feeds.

Now aquascaping or cleaning when I had my blue ring octopus was always am exciting time. Can't tell you how many times I got the shit scared out of me by a blue and yellow flash next to my hand.

Now that would get my attention! :o

Clownfish...used to flick mine in their faces when attacking. If they didn't stop, I'd really go after them with a hand or a net until they cowered under a rock or something. Gave me a few minutes, at least, until they gathered up enough courage to try it again...

My Midas blenny bit me. Turd.

Here is proof!

20130320_224114.jpg

Blennies are nippy (even my little 2" Two-spot attacks). On the positive side, at least it wasn't a poisonous Fang Blenny :o

Now that would get my attention! :o

Clownfish...used to flick mine in it's face when attacking. If they don't stop, really go after them with your hand or a net until they cower under a rock or something. It'll give you a few minutes, at least, until they gather up enough courage to try it again...

lol! It is funny to me, but, I would be concerned long term for the stress.

Maybe, as 1 poster above mentioned, associate hand with food? Instead of an invading unknown.

"Training" something like that, I would imagine, would take time and to find the right food or "Treat"?

We are trading our Clown in soon. This week or next. She is the only fish and we want other fish, but the Territorial response is just

too much to try another fish with her.

Ray, How were u able to get a Hold of such a Venomous Octopus? Also, having researched them, they don't fare too well in captivity,

let alone the collecting and shipping.

I have read that they may make it in an aquarium for a few months at best, since they are mostly collected as adults and they also have a short life span.

I am just curious. I am not in anyway trying to act as a Tang Police would act.

Cheers :)

Maybe, as 1 poster above mentioned, associate hand with food? Instead of an invading unknown.

"Training" something like that, I would imagine, would take time and to find the right food or "Treat"?

We are trading our Clown in soon. This week or next. She is the only fish and we want other fish, but the Territorial response is just

I can honestly say that I don't miss the constant battle I had with the male, in particular. If I had a pair again that I grew out to adult size, I'd only have them in a larger tank in the 25g and up range.

My female clown is also highly territorial with me (tries to bite me at every chance), but she is surprisingly mellow with all of the new fish I've added. She and her mate were the first fish in my tank, too, and had it to themselves for a while. She hasn't bothered my blenny, yellow watchman or orchid dottyback.

My female clown is also highly territorial with me (tries to bite me at every chance), but she is surprisingly mellow with all of the new fish I've added. She and her mate were the first fish in my tank, too, and had it to themselves for a while. She hasn't bothered my blenny, yellow watchman or orchid dottyback.

*SIGH* I just lost a Fox Face after 2 days in the Tank.

It's good to hear that for now U are not having issues with ur Clowns :)

My Wife and I will be getting a couple different fish after we trade her in.

*SIGH* I just lost a Fox Face after 2 days in the Tank.

It's good to hear that for now U are not having issues with ur Clowns :)

My Wife and I will be getting a couple different fish after we trade her in.

Wow, sorry to hear about that! Female clowns can be terrors.

Archived