Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reef Octopus Classic 200IN 8" for a 75g?

Haelstrom

Is a Reef Octopus Classic 200IN 8" an over kill for a 75 gallon mixed reef with 29 gallon sump. Total water volume is about 90 gallons. Fairly heavey bio load. My current skimmer is the Reef Octopus Classic 110IN 4". I also run biopellets, GFO and carbon. I've been dealing with a GHA out break and I believe part of my problem is the increase in bio load and the biopellets. I just don't think my current skimmer can keep up. Going back and forth on the Reef Octopus classic 6" or 8" version.

I think the 200 is going to be really overpowered and take up a unnecessary amount of space in your sump. The 110 should be fine for a 75g bioload if you wanted to upgate maybe the 6" one? GHA is a pain but i think manual removal, water change and a good cuc is a better route. I stand behind bio pellets but from my experience they maintain the nitrates at a point. you control via flow, quantity and skimming efficiency. If you already have algae and the biopellets are working you wont see a large reduction in algae. If the skimmer is having issues keeping up with biopellets you often experience bacterial blooms rather than algae growth.

I think the 200 is going to be really overpowered and take up a unnecessary amount of space in your sump. The 110 should be fine for a 75g bioload if you wanted to upgate maybe the 6" one? GHA is a pain but i think manual removal, water change and a good cuc is a better route. I stand behind bio pellets but from my experience they maintain the nitrates at a point. you control via flow, quantity and skimming efficiency. If you already have algae and the biopellets are working you wont see a large reduction in algae. If the skimmer is having issues keeping up with biopellets you often experience bacterial blooms rather than algae growth.

I've been running the biopellets for more than a year. The GHA has bloomed over the past several months. I added another round of clean up crew from reefcleaners about a month ago. Added several emerald crabs. Already had several hermits. Have several shrimp. Making sure that I have enough clean up crew to take care of uneaten food and waste. I'll take a look into the 6" model.

Archived