ReefCleaners.org

Windshield wiper water pump as ATO pump

rsucre

I'm thinking about using a windshield washer water pump for ATO. Quick searching the internet, found 12V and 24V pumps that seem to work. A 24V would have the benefit of working with the 24VDC outlets of the new Neptune Apex controller, no need to use an additional power supply and Apex controllable!

Anyone tried this?

Here's the kind of pump I'm referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Windshield-Washer-Grommet-Accessories/dp/B00RF0ZXAK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473015590&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=24v+pump+windwshiled

There are many brands and models. Also 12V.

They can also be useful for dosing applications.

I will pass by a local auto parts store tomorrow and see if I can grab a cheap one and give it a try.

only issue I can foresee is that if yourresevoir is too far below the tank that this pump might not be strong enough to overcome the head loss

Good point. Nevertheless, in cars the reservoir is always below the windshield. My ATO reservoir is next to my sump, where I top off, not much head loss. And for ATO and dosing applications we don't need a lot of water volume. I think that it may work, specially the 24V. Will give it a try and let you know.

yea i mean looks like a neat little pump so if it can perform for only a couple bucks then that's pretty great

And it is DC and could be controlled (on/off) easily via Apex. Could be connected to any of the 24VDC accessory ports (not 1Link) that come out of the box with the Energy Bar 8. They have a cable for this kind of DIY project: https://www.neptunesystems.com/product/neptune-systems-dc24-to-bare-wire-cable-10/

The cable would end up costing more than the little pump...

I wonder if that plug is just a regular 2-pin molex.

I don't think head loss would be too much of an issue given how far some washer lines run.

I agree. Given the apparent velocity of the spray coming out of the washer nozzle and given that most reservoirs are around bumper level under the front right headlight; I would say the head loss of a standard aquarium stand would be negligible. I recently replaced the washer pump for my VW and if I recall correctly the price point was around ~$50 CDN. You should also consider that the type of plug used is often a sealed water-proof plug.

2016-07-29%2017.12.35_zpspt8chjap.jpg

I agree. Given the apparent velocity of the spray coming out of the washer nozzle and given that most reservoirs are around bumper level under the front right headlight; I would say the head loss of a standard aquarium stand would be negligible. I recently replaced the washer pump for my VW and if I recall correctly the price point was around ~$50 CDN. You should also consider that the type of plug used is often a sealed water-proof plug.

2016-07-29%2017.12.35_zpspt8chjap.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. $50CDN would definitely kill this DIY idea. I found lots of cheap windshield washer pumps under $15 in Amazon. I'm going to visit a couple of local auto part shops tomorrow and if I can't find what I'm looking for, will order the one that I linked at the beginning of this thread. For $6, I think it is worth the try.

The way this pumps are designed, it seems that the inlet needs to be at water level, and then they should have no issue pushing water up the outlet. In other words, they don't seem to be designed for sucking water via tubing but yes to push it via tubing. I may have to open a hole in the lower part of a container and glue it there with silicone or come up with some other idea.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the feedback. $50CDN would definitely kill this DIY idea. I found lots of cheap windshield washer pumps under $15 in Amazon. I'm going to visit a couple of local auto part shops tomorrow and if I can't find what I'm looking for, will order the one that I linked at the beginning of this thread. For $6, I think it is worth the try.

The way this pumps are designed, it seems that the inlet needs to be at water level, and then they should have no issue pushing water up the outlet. In other words, they don't seem to be designed for sucking water via tubing but yes to push it via tubing. I may have to open a hole in the lower part of a container and glue it there with silicone or come up with some other idea.

I will keep you posted.

I am certain you can find one at the price point you need to be at. I own a VW which means I pay about 300% more for everything. :P

I am presently making my own DIY ATO. I bought this 12 Vdc submersible pump from Amazon.ca for $12.99. At a head of approximately 48" it pumps out 130 ml every five seconds.

I am certain you can find one at the price point you need to be at. I own a VW which means I pay about 300% more for everything. :P

I am presently making my own DIY ATO. I bought this 12 Vdc submersible pump from Amazon.ca for $12.99. At a head of approximately 48" it pumps out 130 ml every five seconds.

I like that Docooler pump. It is at $9.99USD. I wonder if it would work with 24V or burn itself. I would really like to connect it to one of the 24VDC outlets available on the new Apex Controller.

I like that Docooler pump. It is at $9.99USD. I wonder if it would work with 24V or burn itself. I would really like to connect it to one of the 24VDC outlets available on the new Apex Controller.

That is tough to say. You have two potential issues; first, the windings might not hold up; second, the gears are likely plastic which means they may wear out. If you are into gambling you can give it a shot.

You could also spend a bit of time and money and build a small relay circuit using a relay with 24 Vdc coil voltage. You will need the relay, a 12 Vdc power supply, a 0.1 uF capacitor, a fly-back diode for both the relay coil and the motor, prototype board, hook up wire and whatever enclosure that will keep it dry. Best practice would be to locate the fly-back diode and capacitor as close to the motor was possible. I made a junction box on the lid of my ATO for that sort of circuitry. The capacitor is there to help reduce high frequency noise, it may not be needed in this application, but it is best practice to include it.

For now the experiment with the windshield washer pump did not go well. First, the pump does not even move with 1 Amp power supplies that I have on hand. Second, when I tested it with a car battery, it is really way too noisy.

I will now see if I have luck finding a little 24V DC pump like the one Cintax shared (but 24V instead of 12V). Or just spend the $39 for the Neptune PMUP 24V pump. Ouch! Or forget about all this and stick with a good old small AC pump ;)

I mentioned this before but that pump I bought pumps about 130 mL of water with 48" of head in 5 seconds. The only issue with it is the 5/16" ID hose requirement to fit over the pumps hose barb. It squirts in enough water in one or two runs to bring the water level back to where I want it.

I think this would work.

24v%20to%2012v0003_zpsu38bnggo.jpg

I mentioned this before but that pump I bought pumps about 130 mL of water with 48" of head in 5 seconds. The only issue with it is the 5/16" ID hose requirement to fit over the pumps hose barb. It squirts in enough water in one or two runs to bring the water level back to where I want it.

I think this would work.

24v%20to%2012v0003_zpsu38bnggo.jpg

Thank you Cintax. This will be useful in case I can't find a 24V motor or decide to pay $39 for Neptune's PMUP utility pump.

Thank you Cintax. This will be useful in case I can't find a 24V motor or decide to pay $39 for Neptune's PMUP utility pump.

No worries. I have all the parts available so I would just built this; but if you don't then, the $39 isn't too unreasonable really.

• 3 weeks later...

Going back over my diagram, I just realized there should be a fly-back diode on that relay coil too. Oops!

Cintax are you a ham

No, I am not. I work as an electronics technician though.

• 2 months later...

FYI All, when I was having issues with the Tunze osmolator, the rep from Tunze told me they are working on a new pump because the one they use right now is just a windshield wiper fluid pump from a car....

Archived