Cultivated Reef

2 part dosing?

joey13254

Do you dose on waterchange day? I do water changes every week i didn't even think i would have to does but my alk is dropping by 1dkh a day so i suppose 2 part is the way to go. Ill be using brs 2 part, ill have to hand dose untill funds become available for the auto pumps.

Skipping a day isn't going to throw everything out of whack. However, I'd dose everyday, because a 10% water change won't make a substantial difference to your tank's parameters. You can't even reliably see the changes on most test kits.

Yes, dose every day. Stability is the key, no matter what. You'll be far more successful by keeping parameters stable, than constantly chasing numbers and dealing with rapid fluctuations. If you have to correct large swings, alkalinity, temp, SG, etc.... you'll eventually have some major problems. If you're like me and do weekly water changes, then finding a salt mix that gives you near NSW numbers will make this process easier. Stay away from mixes that have high dKH values. Personally, I would save up and buy a reliable dosing system, don't skimp on the equipment, it's just not worth it. Btw, what are you keeping or plan to keep?

Just my two pennies.

I have a 29 gallon tank with 3 torches a hammer 1 octospawn some xenia and anthelia 7 mushrooms some zoas and 3 gonioporas there are no plans on getting anything else for awhile. Ill be using bulk reef supply 2 part dosing. Doing it by hand every day. Im going to shoot for 8dkh and 460 calcium to match my salt. Im using instant ocean reef crystals.

Meant to add i tested my salt and thats the dkh and calcium measured so i figured those are what i should try to maintain. Im correct to assume that arnt i?

I have a 29 gallon tank with 3 torches a hammer 1 octospawn some xenia and anthelia 7 mushrooms some zoas and 3 gonioporas there are no plans on getting anything else for awhile. Ill be using bulk reef supply 2 part dosing. Doing it by hand every day. Im going to shoot for 8dkh and 460 calcium to match my salt. Im using instant ocean reef crystals.

Meant to add i tested my salt and thats the dkh and calcium measured so i figured those are what i should try to maintain. Im correct to assume that arnt i?

If you're going for 8dkh then 420 is closer to what you want your cal at, it's considered balanced

Maybe i should go for 9 dkh and 440 calcium or does it matter

I do do weekly water changes and thats what a fresh batch of saltwater measured at it was mixed for 24 hours before i tested it. I cant remember exactly what my magnesium was but it was in the 1400's so that's good.

Maybe i should go for 9 dkh and 440 calcium or does it matter

I do do weekly water changes and thats what a fresh batch of saltwater measured at it was mixed for 24 hours before i tested it. I cant remember exactly what my magnesium was but it was in the 1400's so that's good.

I would go for 8dkh and 410-430 for calcium. Imo/e dkh is more important to remain stable, where as you have some decent leeway with calcium.

If you're going for 8dkh then 420 is closer to what you want your cal at, it's considered balanced

I don't buy into the need for a balanced ratio (although nothing is wrong with it as long as the parameters are stable within the recommended ranges). Stability within the accepted ranges is much more important than maintaining a particular ratio. One exception is an ULNS, where alkalinity should be targeted near NSW levels.

Your target could be: 420 ppm calcium, 9 dKH alkalinity, and 1350 magnesium. Or just match the levels of a newly mixed batch of saltwater (which is what I tend to prefer). If you match your salt's levels, then water changes (of any size) won't throw them off. If you are unhappy with the levels of your salt mix, just switch brands.

I don't buy into the need for a balanced ratio (although nothing is wrong with it as long as the parameters are stable within the recommended ranges). Stability within the accepted ranges is much more important than maintaining a particular ratio. One exception is an ULNS, where alkalinity should be targeted near NSW levels.

Your target could be: 420 ppm calcium, 9 dKH alkalinity, and 1350 magnesium. Or just match the levels of a newly mixed batch of saltwater (which is what I tend to prefer). If you match your salt's levels, then water changes (of any size) won't throw them off. If you are unhappy with the levels of your salt mix, just switch brands.

+1

My calcium is at 500 right now while my dkh is at 8. My corals couldnt care less.

I like the idea of matching my salts levels which was 8 dkh and 460 calcium. My stuff from brs should be here Thursday. Ill mix a new batch of saltwater to test those levels again to be sure before dosing begins

Archived