Cultivated Reef

Clownfish laying on sand

Dmann1985

I have a 10 gallon fowlr setup been running about 4 months. My percula clownfish pair are laying in one corner on the sand suddenly, one is actually tipped over leaning against the glass the other is next to him anf seems to struggle to stay upright. They were fine last night, when i added a new heater after the last one quit working. Could the temp fluctuation have screwed with them? I also have a shrimp/goby pair, but i hardly see them so im not real sure how they're doing. Thanks for the help.

Salinity seems high. Especially Ammonia!

No Ammonia!

Do u have any Seachem Prime? Do a water change and dose with that.

The prime with detoxify the Ammonia, won't remove it though.

yeah, my salinity has been running high, working on bringing it down. Should i be doing more frequent water changes? currently doing 1 gallon a week.

Add a little RO or distilled water. No salt. Go buy prime. It detoxifies ammonia for 48 hours. The Fresh water will bring the salinity down. Don't over do it you might drop it too much. You want it was 1.025 ish. Try 1/2 cup. Same temp as tank. Microwave it if you have to.

Also do you have surface agitation. The surface needs to be agitated for oxygen.

Add a little RO or distilled water. No salt. Go buy prime. It detoxifies ammonia for 48 hours. The Fresh water will bring the salinity down. Don't over do it you might drop it too much. You want it was 1.025 ish. Try 1/2 cup. Same temp as tank. Microwave it if you have to.

Also do you have surface agitation. The surface needs to be agitated for oxygen.

+1

i'll try to find some prime, as far agitation i have hob filter and a hydor powerhead.

looking over at my tank, i now have a clownfish stuck to my filter.

Oh no. He's stuck to the filter. Ummm. Can the hob be lowered. Like the suction power. Like an Aqua clear you slide the intake to the right it slows down.

But if he's stuck he's really sick. :(

I don't know,

dose prime asap it's like $8

Guys should he kill the Hydor? Less stress on the clown? Or keep it on?

Don't kill the hob you need the oxygen it provides.

gulfsurfer101

I'm sure it's all bad news by now! Check that your new heater isn't releasing stray voltage into your tank! My salanity is 1.030 and everything looks amazing. I also don't run any mechanical filtration.I'm willing to bet that it's something electrical or disease. Any new fish additions lately!

Both clowns missing, the goby is out and seems fine, i thought the same about the heater since they were veet active before i put it in. Now just have to figure out where they went.

Newest additions are some trochus snails about 3 weeks ago.

It sounds as though the new heater may have been the issue because its the newest addition but the goby and other livestock would also have been affected if it was stray voltage.

The ammonia sounds most likely the culprit for the fishes condition - the question is why after 4mnths are you seeing ammonia and nitrites?

Too much bioload for the 10g to handle?

Did anything recently die in the tank and left in there to cause a spike?

It sounds as though the new heater may have been the issue because its the newest addition but the goby and other livestock would also have been affected if it was stray voltage.

The ammonia sounds most likely the culprit for the fishes condition - the question is why after 4mnths are you seeing ammonia and nitrites?

Too much bioload for the 10g to handle?

Did anything recently die in the tank and left in there to cause a spike?

TBH Clown, I was thinking same, But, I do not have enough experience yet, IMHO, to answer more specifics.

I initially thought Bio-load as well. But with that said, Wouldn't it matter how quickly or slowly individual fish were added?

I know that in our 28 Gal Tank, I am cautious about Adding Fish and or the amount I add.

Just a curious thought. Could there be an Ammonia spike if several Snails were to die?

I'm thinking it was the ammonia that did this,I have a 10 gallon and at the minimum I do a 20% water change a week and haven't had any trouble with ammonia,just a suggestion I'm sorry to hear about the clowns !

Archived