Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral id

Jayva

This was listed as Xenia. But I've never seen a neon green Xenia with purple in the middle. It gets long like a Xenia. It's retracted right Now.

image_zpsn3qjpkau.jpeg

image_zpsf4s4emnn.jpeg

Goniopora. Also known as flowerpot coral.

Petco are idiots. I read it has to be spot fed. Will zooplankton cause algae? Or should I spot feed cyclopeeze. They won't return it.

Petco are idiots. I read it has to be spot fed. Will zooplankton cause algae? Or should I spot feed cyclopeeze. They won't return it.

Tbh, gonis have a relatively poor survival rate in aquariums. If you have reef roids, then use it. Their nano-particle size seemed just right for Gonis. Their mouths on each individual polyps are too small to accept mysis or brine, but I used to baste mine with some crab/fish roe and the coral seemed to love it. They can be difficult to keep long-term.

Tbh, gonis have a relatively poor survival rate in aquariums. If you have reef roids, then use it. Their nano-particle size seemed just right for Gonis. Their mouths on each individual polyps are too small to accept mysis or brine, but I used to baste mine with some crab/fish roe and the coral seemed to love it. They can be difficult to keep long-term.

I don't know maybe I can trade it off on my local forum.

I don't have reef roids but I'll try to get some. i don't wanna foul my tank on the fact LFS mislabeled.

nancymatthews

Jayva, you bought that goniopora at Petco? I don't have a Petco near me to go to just to look but I've only heard bad things about how they don't know about saltwater fish and coral care. Obviously they don't know what coral they sold you. Be careful buying stuff from there. I've heard of people buying saltwater fish from there and their tank got infected.

I had a goni that died because my clownfish (r.i.p. nemo) kept trying to host it so it wouldn't open up. But when it was open, I spot fed it powdered food that I mixed with tank water.

Let me correct myself, it's not that Petco sucks at caring for saltwater fish and coral, it's that they don't train the staff properly. That store should not be selling live saltwater animals unless they get people working there that know what they are doing.

Jayva, you bought that goniopora at Petco? I don't have a Petco near me to go to just to look but I've only heard bad things about how they don't know about saltwater fish and coral care. Obviously they don't know what coral they sold you. Be careful buying stuff from there. I've heard of people buying saltwater fish from there and their tank got infected.

I had a goni that died because my clownfish (r.i.p. nemo) kept trying to host it so it wouldn't open up. But when it was open, I spot fed it powdered food that I mixed with tank water.

Let me correct myself, it's not that Petco sucks at caring for saltwater fish and coral, it's that they don't train the staff properly. That store should not be selling live saltwater animals unless they get people working there that know what they are doing.

I never by from them. The new shipment bags were floating in the water that's the only reason I bought it. Bag was marked Xenia. Anyway I rehomed it to someone who'll know how to take care of it better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived