Top Shelf Aquatics

Stocking help - who to put with sixline and neon goby?

TeamIM24

We lost our royal gramma two months ago. We'd had it for awhile and it was blind the last few months of its life, and are now finally ready for a new tankmate for our sixline wrasse and blue neon goby. Considering getting a new gramma, but would like other suggestions too.

Not willing to part with the sixline, and it did ok with adding a clown in the past when we put the new fish in a breeder box for a few days before releasing into the tank. (Clown was sold because it got too aggressive with the gramma)

Tank is a 24 gallon Innovative Marine, mixed reef with 1 inch sandbed and a good amount of hiding places in the rockwork. Pretty standard CUC with small hermit crabs, and also a large cleaner shrimp.

mystersyster

Sorry about your loss. Sounds like he lived a long life...

I love royal gramma's and have a pair of them. One got really big (the male) while the other stayed smallish. They are really confident together, and the big one runs the tank. However, I have recently decided to stray away from ocean caught and buy captive bred. ORA has some really nice dottybacks that look similar to the royal gramma, and from what I have heard, have similar personalities. The orchid or the Springeri would be something to look into.

Sorry about your loss. Sounds like he lived a long life...

I love royal gramma's and have a pair of them. One got really big (the male) while the other stayed smallish. They are really confident together, and the big one runs the tank. However, I have recently decided to stray away from ocean caught and buy captive bred. ORA has some really nice dottybacks that look similar to the royal gramma, and from what I have heard, have similar personalities. The orchid or the Springeri would be something to look into.

Thanks. She was a great gramma. Those are some good suggestions. Also trying to figure out if there are some different goby species that might be a fit too.

I also vote for the orchid dottyback. Looks great, moved great, least shy fish I've owned after my clowns.

How big is the tank your orchid dottyback is in? Who are the other inhabitants? Just curious to know; I've seen that they're the most amicable of the dottybacks, but most websites say they need a 30g or larger tank.

Mine is in a 33 long (48" long) with a pair of ocellaris clowns and a lawnmower blenny. It's still pretty small -- 1 1/2 inches, about. I've only had it a few weeks, but it's been out and about an docile with the other fish. I haven't noticed any issues with it and my peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs or porcelain crabs.

Good luck!

Archived