ReefCleaners.org

From the oldest waterfall style algae scrubber, to the newest

SantaMonica

So you made a shitty product and were charging money for it?

Not shitty, but it's outdated now. A Ferrari 250 GTO isn't a shitty car, buts it outdated as hell.

Why the hate on the algae scrubber? The TM names are a little odd, but

Anyways - I like the design improvements a lot. Making things easier to clean and maintain (from the start) is something that we need more of. I like the thought of not having to turn off the pump. An idea for the post mount is to make the base plate square (since most sump chambers are square) and include some sort of non-permanent compound that would keep the base stuck to the bottom glass...

I personally like the concept of an algae scrubber and if you can get this to a reasonable price point I hope people will try it.

Hardest part of this IMO is developing the right size options for various systems and sumps.

Glad you like the improvements. The pole mount will probably be diy by by a lot of people, so they can do the shape they need. When we do offer one, it probably would be a square base; the round one was just to make the picture clear.

isn`t the tray too shallow? it looks like when you lift the dome, some algae may escape into the tank. Also, is there some sort of mesh or floss that covers the drain pipe to avoid any bits from reaching the sump?

isn`t the tray too shallow? it looks like when you lift the dome, some algae may escape into the tank. Also, is there some sort of mesh or floss that covers the drain pipe to avoid any bits from reaching the sump?

Difficult to say by the drawing if the tray is too shallow - there's not a ton of flow going through these things. Also for maximum efficiency you should be harvesting the algae before it's overflowing the enclosure and falling off.

Similar answer on why one might not want a mesh or floss catcher on the output tube - plus a clogged output could be messy as well.

Good thoughts though.

The tray is not so much for catching growth, as it is for being a place to set the lid. But if you have enough growth to fill the tray, it certainly will be time to harvest.

The most important part of it is that the tray can be lifted with the lid, together. When the tray is full, any lifting of the water pipe, at all, will cause growth to break off and flow down to the sump. Especially if you leave the water running which this is designed to do. So the removable tray comes up with the water pipe in one piece, eliminating any tearing of the growth, and still lets you keep the water flowing the whole time.

rain-examples-fig7.jpg

It is 10 x 5 x 8" high

It will grow the same as other similar waterfalls if the lighting is the same. It's the cleaning, and mounting, that is much easier.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived