Pod Your Reef

Recommendation for LED upgrage for OLD style JBJ Nano 12

twood

Hello,

Looking for a recommendation for an LED retro fit kit for an old style JBJ NanoCube 12. I say "old style" because the light on my JBJ 12 only has one PC bulb and no fans. The splash cover only covers the light bulb and reflector. It does not cover the fan vents. I have looked at some of the DIY kits available at places like Steve's LEDs and RapidLED, but they all seem to be designed for the newer JBJ NanoCube 12DX that has two PC bulbs and fans. So what I am asking is if anyone knows of a kit that will work with the hood that I have. It would have to fit inside the splash cover and not burn up without fans. I probably will only put softies in this tank, so I don't have to have something high powered.

Also, would it be easier just to buy a JBJ LED replacement hood? It looks pretty low powered, but since I am only going to keep softies I am wondering if it would be sufficient.

I have attached photos of my hood for reference.

Thanks!

post-48204-0-23848600-1472575715_thumb.jpg

post-48204-0-17806000-1472575727_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Looking for a recommendation for an LED retro fit kit for an old style JBJ NanoCube 12. I say "old style" because the light on my JBJ 12 only has one PC bulb and no fans. The splash cover only covers the light bulb and reflector. It does not cover the fan vents. I have looked at some of the DIY kits available at places like Steve's LEDs and RapidLED, but they all seem to be designed for the newer JBJ NanoCube 12DX that has two PC bulbs and fans. So what I am asking is if anyone knows of a kit that will work with the hood that I have. It would have to fit inside the splash cover and not burn up without fans. I probably will only put softies in this tank, so I don't have to have something high powered.

Also, would it be easier just to buy a JBJ LED replacement hood? It looks pretty low powered, but since I am only going to keep softies I am wondering if it would be sufficient.

I have attached photos of my hood for reference.

Thanks!

If you have the original reflector material my large retro kit would work perfect for this.

-Dave

Thanks Dave. I looked at your kit, but its a bit out of my budget. Trying to keep it $150 or less. This is an old tank that I don't want to dump a lot of money into.

Check out ReefRadiance's websites "Refugium" par38 (consists of 1x 10k,4x 6500k,7 royal blue and 6 410 violets) if Dave's retro is out of your pockets limits. I believe its $60 plus shipping and you can get a light socket and cord from walmart for dirt cheap.

Archived