Top Shelf Aquatics

Devoted Reefer 250

pelphrey

To better prepare for filling the reefer it was time to swap out RODI filters. In this photo the first 2 have been replaced. DI hasn't been replaced-

5E80E77D-DA69-4BD8-A244-303FDB642C61_zps

Old DI in the sink, new DI in my hand -

51EB8122-41D3-46D3-9EE3-53BCFD1B3BCA_zps

All filters replaced. Minus the membrane -

149C204D-F196-4F07-ABF9-9151E30BEBB1_zps

First to canisters were cleaned with bleach and rinsed well!

E-marco 400 mortar rock work complete! This is 2 structures, they are pushed back pretty much as far as I can possibly get them. I originally had the larger piece on the right, but the way the back of the structures are they fit better this way.
AF476289-5BB7-45AB-BF35-AEC5E2BACC81_zps
948B59E2-1F83-40FC-BE37-D25407AD4BE4_zps
E8B34780-7512-4438-A0CC-099F12EFABCB_zps
0DDFE656-AA43-4FB9-9A69-B33C5139A4F7_zps
The Reef Octopus VarioS-6 return pump outlet is 1 1/4" I reduced this down to 1" out of the pump. From there the plumbing is routed in a manner that will allow me to add gate valves later. I still haven't glued any of the fittings together, I am beside myself on the red PVC. I do have black 1" PVC in my garage from a previous project. I also have 2 unions, I may end up only using 1 I'm not sure yet.
A8903611-8DCD-4024-8829-3167E9183578_zps
To connect this to my return line I reduced the 1" PVC to 1/2" and will connect the soft tubing. I still need to cut the PVC to line up the barbs and I do have a plan to hide the soft tubing, stay tuned!
2EADBC06-C29F-4A85-824B-9CA90A19C4D9_zps

why dont you just get an inline gate valve for the flexible tube? seems like a waste of expensive PVC to do that.

Because I've already bought the PVC and fittings! B)

Second I don't want to go straight up from the pump and have tubing coming up from the middle of the sump. Routing the PVC in the manner that I have I will be able to minimize the clutter and tubing inside the small cabinet.

I really enjoy that rockscape, hoping to do something similar with my 65 in a few months.

It was one of them things that I tried to get right, instead I just ended up walking away and coming back. I felt like when I tried to get the correct rock placement I failed, it took a little while to get it right. I am happy with it! I like the E Marco 400 mortar!

i got the small one of those LED motion sensing lights. hated it. they turn off after 15s even if there is motion still. so i am constantly waving my hand at the damn light when I am working in the sump. hope the 36 LEDs one is better.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Those marco rocks are the truth I hear... Pure calcium carbonate and made in the keys or there abouts... Looking forward to using them in the future.

Not to mention looking into getting my very own red sea setup!

Looks pretty clean so far. I assume you added teflon tape to your return nozzle. Why bother?

Why bother?!?!? With the nozzle or the teflon tape?

i got the small one of those LED motion sensing lights. hated it. they turn off after 15s even if there is motion still. so i am constantly waving my hand at the damn light when I am working in the sump. hope the 36 LEDs one is better.

Someone else on another forum said they weren't happy with their LED light. On the opposite end of the light I bought there is a switch AUTO/ON/OFF. If I don't like the fact the light turns off after 15 seconds I'll start using the switch to turn it on and off!

Those marco rocks are the truth I hear... Pure calcium carbonate and made in the keys or there abouts... Looking forward to using them in the future.

Not to mention looking into getting my very own red sea setup!

These are actually reef cleaner rock, I have marco rock in the 20 gallon I have setup right now. It is good rock, but I think the reef cleaner rock wins!

As of right now I have 28 gallons in the tank, I'm making my best attempt to know exactly how much water I have. I'll be making more water this weekend and more importantly finishing the plumbing!

IMG_6612_zpstbjpjuzj.png

IMG_6611_zpsijjsasbg.png

Tape - I just mean that if your return nozzle drips slightly it doesn't matter, as it's still submerged. Furthermore, the pressure differential is much lower when submerged than when in air.

The exterior plumbing makes sense, but it's not needed for the internal pieces imo.

• Like 1

Tape - I just mean that if your return nozzle drips slightly it doesn't matter, as it's still submerged. Furthermore, the pressure differential is much lower when submerged than when in air.

The exterior plumbing makes sense, but it's not needed for the internal pieces imo.

The tape is needed to hold it in place. Without any tape the connection isn't strong enough to hold it, as soon as water starts pushing it, it would pop out.

SouthFlorida_Tron

So what kind of difference can you say separates the Marco and Reef Cleaner rocks? Are RC rocks also made from calcium carbonate or mined somewhere? No leaching from either one right?

• Like 1
I ended up changing the red PVC to blue! I may very well hard plumb directly into the reefer connection, for now I am using the soft tubing. I also built the PVC in this fashion to add gate valves down the road.

CDC66167-8A7F-42CE-9A42-9FABE1E35FFF_zps

C1D50186-4C14-4F4D-999B-515CD33BAF97_zps

I cut a piece of PVC down the middle and used a heat gun to warm it up. I used this piece of PVC to cover up the soft tubing.

1F10363B-67CC-4897-99AA-D2877CA08E36_zps

Reef Octopus VarioS-6 controller mounted -B95482D4-A8EB-419A-AD37-0D744BDDD637_zps

723B4DA2-7EF2-463D-8311-EFAF541EF6C1_zps

Tank was filled and salt mixed in the tank. I am using two sunsun 800gph pumps in the tank, I got both of them on eBay for $13 shipped! These are temporary until I figure out what direction I am going in.

601F14C5-9F21-471A-9599-45CC38E6A05C_zps

One of the Kessils over the tank, I have another A160 on my other tank that will be moved over to the reefer. I know I won't be using this Kessil arm, I am still undecided on the more expensive kessil arms or using 8020 again for the light mounts

40D6BD36-A761-45CB-934F-FF3D37C0FE58_zps

D46CD177-A77C-416F-8280-E8A52265E680_zps

For now I am using the Red Sea ATO, this will be addressed later in the build!

Moved the media bag of pond matrix out of my 20 gallon tank into the sump of the reefer on Monday night, last night ran an ammonia test. Ammonia read .04-.08 I did add about 10 drops of ammonia to the tank. I'll test ammonia again on Thursday or Friday evening. I had about 2.5 hand fulls of matrix in my 20 for months now so it should be well established. The rock in my 20 just recently started growing coralline algae, I don't have any plans to move all of this rock over into the reefer, but I will probably move a piece or 2 over in the coming weeks.

Nice tank! Good choice on the Reefer. I like your style of documenting the build through video too. I think the videos are generally interesting too.

What are your plans for inhabitants?

• Like 1