Top Shelf Aquatics

Feather caulerpa question?

vlangel

Hi folks, have any of you ever tried growing the feather type caulerpa on plastic canvas? My thoughts are that I would like some caulerpa in my seahorse tank in the sandbed. Of course we all know that most caulerpa needs constant pruning to prevent one's tank from being a cauletpa display. I was wondering if I planted the caulerpa thru the holes of the plastic canvas and then buried the canvas under the sandbed it should be easier to control, I mean prune. I could lift the plastic canvas totally out of the sandbed and pinch off whatever I didn't want and then plant again. Do you think that could work?

In my very short experience with caulerpa, am not sure it will help. Caulerpa will continue to grow and attach to whatever it can reach. Plus pulling out the entire plastic would mean disturbing more sand than just pulling out the caulerpa by itself.

In my very short experience with caulerpa, am not sure it will help. Caulerpa will continue to grow and attach to whatever it can reach. Plus pulling out the entire plastic would mean disturbing more sand than just pulling out the caulerpa by itself.

Thanks for the comment. After I posted I thought that I could feel around the perimetet of the plastic canvas and pinch any tendrils the caulerpa was sending out without pulling it up. It would still disturb the sandbed but my sandbed is less than an inch anyhow so I disturb it regularly to keep it aerated.
  • 2 weeks later...

As long as Caulerpa doesn't attach to live rock, it is easy to manage in substrate. Just keep it thinned out for nutrient export. Caulerpa Paspoides makes excellent hitching post for ponies.

As long as Caulerpa doesn't attach to live rock, it is easy to manage in substrate. Just keep it thinned out for nutrient export. Caulerpa Paspoides makes excellent hitching post for ponies.

Thanks subsea.

Archived