SaltCritters.com

Cyano is kicking my butt- NO LONGER!- Now it is Hair Algae!

uwharrie

I am no pro, but these are my suggestions, I would start a quarantine for the fish and a quarantine for the corals (maybe someone can help fishsit). Rinse the shizzle out of the rock, with a power hose and yes use regular tap water, you are rinsing so it doesn't matter. Rub that stuff off the rock, that wasn't removed with the power hose, using a brush as well. Vacuum the hell out of the sand multiple times. Rinse all equipment (tap water) and soak in vinegar, scrub whatever you can, rinse again (tap water). Perform a 100% WC. Dip the shizzle out of the coral (saltwater), with peroxide first and then with some coral dip. Rinse everything in SaltWater, corals and equipment. After this I would keep the coral and fish in quarantine for a bit, get parameters in check and slowly start re-stocking the tank. I would dose Dr. Tim's Waste Away and Eco-Balance weekly. Finally I would do strict weekly water changes, like 25% for a couple of months and slowly ramp down to the regular 10% weekly, and test for phosphates every day until you get this thing under control (:

Also, what food do you feed with? Maybe the culprit is there?

We are rooting for you bud!! You can win this friggin battle!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did the Dr. Tim's work out?

It helped but not enough. After a 1/2 dose then full still had an ugly tank.

Had intended to go to our LFS Reef Fest today but Mathew has been dumping lots of rain and just not wise to travel. Soooo. ... I broke down the tank. Rinsed the hell out of the sand. Scrubbed the rocks where I could. I only put back 1/2 the sand. Reduced the rocks a bit and moved stuff so I can vacuum the sand bed better. We shall see what happens can't find one of my RFAs just hope I did not squish him. Forgot to pay attention when putting rocks in the bucket.

Hope this all works to make your tank enjoyable and fabulous!

Well you said all along I needed to do this. I resisted ( my LFS even said I need to try other methods) But I have tried those and they did not produce the results I wanted so followed your advice!

Tank looks good this am. Finally found my missing RFA Thank goodness I had not squashed him ( it was close) pulled a top rock back just a tad to give him more light.

Question is there anything that will glue well cured live rock together underwater? I know there are pool epoxies that work well under water but not sure if it would be reef safe. since I pulled my rocks forward ( so I can vacuum the sand all over better) I worry a tad about stability.

Also since I have a full bottle of Dr Tims Waste away any issues giving the tank a capful since I have reset everything ( I was reading somewhere that some folks used it weekly)

There is reef safe epoxy-check Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot. You can use Waste away or any nitrifying bacteria weekly. There should be a dosage for established tanks on the bottle.

So here is the tank almost 24 hrs after the reset. Still have a little detritus from the rocks ( could not scrub them but so hard as some had coral on them. same with the back wall as there was GSP growing up the left side. the red is coralline algae.

Hopefully blasting, vacuuming and water changes will finish it up. Water parameters are great

0 Ammonia

0 Nitrites

.3 Nitrates

0 phosphate

7.8 pH

12 Alk ( I think that is a bit high)

420 Cal

I have switched to blue bucket Reef Pro mix and am using RO/DI water

Fish are happy, Richordia are happy, GSP, Zinia and pipe organ are pissed.

NOW my question, should it be OK to add a couple of Zoanthia?

IMG_1196.jpg

This was the tank before.

image_7.jpeg

There is reef safe epoxy-check Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot. You can use Waste away or any nitrifying bacteria weekly. There should be a dosage for established tanks on the bottle.

Our LFS had a buy 2 get one free sale so picked up some cheap ( $10 and $20) frags. Also a bubble tip ( been wanting one and they were 50% off) Also got a pump for the Micro- Reef Pico ( since the pump that came with it would not fit) All is well ( or getting there) in NC Reef Land

IMG_1203.jpg

So is this Dino? Hair algae? or still Cyano?

Stringy brownish. blowing it off the coral but leaving the rest for now. Will be doing a 5 gal water change this weekend

Here is the tank today. Did a five gal water change. Replaced the Purigen. Things are for sure looking better. Did discover I had the manual control for the blue lights cut down. Once I turned it back to 100% and allowing the Typhoon to do its job the corals are happier . One thing this tank can grow is Coraline

I am not sure I like it on the back wall. but hoping the GSP cover all of it. ( Had a good start till the crash. They were none too happy being scrubbed of Cyano. Still more algae than I want but have seen the Emerald Crab munching on it at night/ I quite supplemental feeding him with shrimp so he is hungry.

IMG_1222.jpg

Coralline is the one thing I have not had an issue with!

Looking good! I wish my coralline grew as much as yours, mine is still pretty limited on my rocks :)

• 3 weeks later...

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/uwharrie/IMG_0002.jpg

The tank is finally Cyano free! It has been a long process.

What I learned.

DON"T overfeed!

Do routine water changes

Keep the flow up, keep the sandbed clean, keep the back chambers clean.

Change filter media at least weekly!

I am also using Dr Tims weekly

Thanks to all those who offered suggestions. It took a combination of aggressively cleaning the sandbed ( removed everything and rinsed the heck out of it)

Aggressive water changes %30 weekly.

Used Dr Tims and Chemclean

Replaced filter pads weekly

I use Purigen and Chemi pure

We shall see if I can keep things under control.

Oh and it took about 2 months to get it under control. Lesson here DONT give up

Archived