SaltCritters.com

New to saltwater tanking

newtoreeftanking

newtoreeftanking

Hi guys I am new into the awesome world of building saltwater tanks and im about to build my first tank here in the next few weeks and I would really like some advise and any kind of help. I need some help deciding on the size of my first tank, and then also any tips u can give to a beginner on what not to do that you have learned from. I am the type of person to do a lot of research before I get into a new hobby and I have been reading a lot and basically studying up on the process of building my first tank. I want to make sure I do everything as close to perfect as I can so I know that my fish and coral are getting everything they need and well taken care of, that is my main priority. So please anything will help and I greatly appreciate the advice and help guys im so excited to start this life long goal.

P.S. I was looking at getting the jbj 10g rimless tank set up, would that be to small ?

TheKleinReef

Check out bulkreefsupply' you tube channel. They have multiple educational series starting from step 1 and going to completion. Aside from that read some of the more successful build threads here and see what they did as well as the beginners section.

newtoreeftanking

ok thank you and yes I have watched all the bulk reef supplies videos on the 20g tank they build and I have also watched every week of the new 52 week series videos about the 160g they are building

Hi There and :welcome:

My input is, aside from more research ;) Be aware that this Hobby is slow in processes, especially Cycling.

Follow advice given. Very good folks here. Very good advice is given.

I have an AIO 28 Gal Bio-cube. I like it. There are a lot of options out there.

newtoreeftanking

oh yea and that's y I haven't jumped into getting my tank just yet I want make sure I do everything I possibly can and get help from as many people as I can before I start, and yea I am going to be super patient. I know the process can be long and there is a lot to take into consideration. so I am preparing and I want to have myself on a strict schedule with my tank so I am buying stuff to even help and remind me on what days I need to do what

Another word of caution...don't get into an "over load" situation. Ur mind can get to swimming.

Glad to have ya here as part of our "Lil" community.

Keeps us fresh and on our toes ;)

Stick with basics! "Keep it simple, stupid"

newtoreeftanking

yea im not trying to over load as well lol I just want to make sure that my inhabitants on my tank are going to be well taken care of

Good Job :)

I feel the same way. Research items I see and like.

Need to know lighting, placement and food(s) if necessary to help say, a Coral, to thrive.

Not just survive.

newtoreeftanking

yea and that's what im still reading on cuz my first tank I don't want to get into anything crazy just some softies and maybe a few lps corals but idk yet depends on the light that comes on whatever tank I get or if I upgrade

Going slow and keeping things simple is the best advice outside of research.

Tank size will ultimately depend on what you want to keep in it. The smaller the tank, the less livestock you should keep.

Equipment- you don't need all the gadgets out there for reef keeping. If anything its easier for ppl to keep it simple and have a good maintenance routine than buying equipment.

Lighting- most tanks don't come with lighting systems for reefs. Depending on the tank you choose will depend on lighting options because the tanks dimensions will effect your choices.

Out of experience- ALL corals like light. Even softies like light, they don't require the intensity that sps do but all my softies look better, grew more, and were happy under good lights.

newtoreeftanking

awesome thank you for that its great advice and I was going to do a 10 gallon tank to start with just like a pair of clowns and a clean up crew im not gunna go massive or crazy for my first tank I wanna make sure I get the testing and get in a good maintenance schedule and make sure my fish and coral are well taken care of that's my main concern

Welcome! I've never been the type to keep large tanks and this is personal preference based on what you want to keep, but I personally feel that 10 gallons is pretty limiting. Like most people, I find myself wanting more than I should keep. (I have a 33 long, and it's just a about the right size.)

I have a 10 gallon freshwater, and even that starts to feel limiting. It's not that much more work or money to do a 20 or 30 gallon, if you have the funds, and it saves you from having to start a second tank sometime down the line. I think few people are truly happy with just one 10 gallon, freshwater or reef.

That said, do what makes you happy with what you can afford. Good luck!

^ yup.

This is an addictive hobby and once you start seeing what you could have or do in the hobby- you'll want to.

I have had 4 SW tanks - always started with the thought of softies only, never happened.

My advice, plan a tank and lights for eventual changes/upgrades. Buy a better light now because upgrading later is more expensive.

I have a 10g and 15g tank. I love the IM 10g for the all in one factor but would definitely prefer the 16g or 20g.

If you can get 14, 16, or 20g - i'd say do that instead of 10g. It will give you more room to grow :)

Once you decide on a specific tank, give a shout out and we can help with powerhead choices and lighting.

What you need for sure:

Tank

Sand

Rocks

Lights(not upon start up)

Powerhead

Heater

Salt

Water

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits to begin with

Possibly hob filter(depending on the tank you choose)

You don't need controllers, reactors, etc etc.

newtoreeftanking

thank you clown79 the advice is great and yea I was looking at the IM 16g or 20g tank as well along with 14 biocube so I haven't decided 100% on the tank just yet but the more help I get the better and I greatly appreciate everything I just have to see how much money I have

good advice here so far. I started with a 15 gallon and that was easy to maintain - after a year I moved up to 40 breeder... If I had to do it over, I'd do the same thing :lol: or maybe a 20 Long. You can have lots of corals and a few fish with less maintenance and expense than a larger tank to start. The all in one tanks you're looking at are nice.

Just have patience with additions and changes, keep in mind long term. I still have some of the first corals I bought 7 years ago!

If, and that is a big IF, I could start over, I'd like to do a 40B or a Long Shallow.

I have the JBJ 28 Gallon Bio-Cube. It is an AIO. I like it!

But having only been doing a SW Reef tank now since February, I have learned a bit.

I now wish I could have gone a tad larger, but, Shar said Nothing BIG!, so there's that...lol. :rolleyes:

I started with a 10 gallon tank and 6 months later I got a bc 14 gallon,but waiting in the other room is a 46 gallon that is currently freshwater but I plan on turning it into my dream reef tank

nancymatthews

One thing I've learned is to not impulse buy corals. That is easy to do when you see a little frag that is cheap but then you get it home and after a while you think, "I wish I didn't get that."

Best of luck on your future tank.

Archived