inTank Media Baskets

Squat Lobster (Crinoid) and frags

crawdads57

I'm setting up a new frag tank that is 18 x 18 x 9-1/2. It has an aio filtration setup in the back and is drilled for an overflow in case I decide I need to add a sump later. It's going to be half racks and then I had a shallow "box" made for it so I could put a shallow layer of live sand and some live rock in the box without getting sand everywhere. Well, that's how I'm hoping it will work anyways.

I don't want to put any fish in the tank. But I know myself and I know I'm going to get bored without at least some critter that moves around. I saw these squat lobsters on divers den and always wanted one, but I have too many crustaceans in my display as is.

Does anyone have experience keeping these guys with frags. It will mostly be zoas/palys, mushrooms and a few acans. That's what I'm planning for now. Here's an example of the critter I'm talking about: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=321427

They're unique and not all that expensive. Shouldn't be hard to feed. Looks like a single specimen is the way to go. Just let me know if you've seen one like this misbehaving.

Nano sapiens

I've had one for a few months in a small mixed reef and no problems with coral. Only keep one (males will kill each other).

Oh cool, I was just admiring your tank the other day but I hadn't noticed you had a squat lobster listed. Did you get him from DD? I am planning to feed a little frozen mysis to my acans twice weekly. Do you think that would provide him with enough food as long as I saw him get at least one mysis on Tuesday and Saturday for example? Or am I going to need to feed him more often?

Another question, maybe it's just because it's not the greatest resolution, but are the two black ones at the top a different species than the two more colorful ones at the bottom? It appears that the two black ones do not have a long "nose" like the more colorful ones, but it could just be the picture. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+1462+2913&pcatid=2913

It does seem to me that they are significantly different. I kinda like those black ones, can anyone tell me a species name for those?

Nano sapiens

There are different color variations, but I believe they are all the same species.

You can also check on 'Diver's Den - Inverts' as they sometimes have the yellow/black variety that I have:

SL%20on%20Ric_030616_zpsi7igm4je.jpg

They are a bit shy at first, but soon learn the feeding routine (this is when you'll see them in full view). I feed mine 2x/day, but I'd recommend at least once a day with a variety of foods. They aren't very good at scavenging, so you'll need to get the food real close or feed directly from a pipette or tweezer.

Very nice pic. I think I'm sold. I feed my other tank every day (2 or 3 times usually) so to feed this guy every day too wouldn't be an issue. I was more trying to limit feedings of the frag tank for the sake of water quality, but that's all just a guess right now because it's not even set up.

Archived