Top Shelf Aquatics

YW Goby Hiding

flatlandreefer

flatlandreefer

I got my YW Goby a few days ago. I put him in with a pistol shrimp. The shrimp immediately went into hiding in the rocks when i put him in. The goby stayed out on the sand bed for a few hours but then he spooked and went behind the rocks and I haven't seen him since. I think I can see a few tunnels under the sand but I am not sure. I am kind of concerned about him being able to get food since he has not been out as far as I can tell. Would it be a bad idea to go looking for him or should I let him do his own thing?

And the shrimp could have molted which makes them both hide for a few days. I used to see my Yasha once a year (exaggeration but you know), then they became social and dug a burrow in the front of the tank and I saw them everyday.

Typical goby behaviour really. Mine likes to peek out from a rock and stare at me with a sullen and seemingly unimpressed expression. He will only swim out to pellets that come within about 3 inches of whichever burrow he is in. However, if I have a turkey baster with mysis shrimp, he is on it like a calf suckling a teet.

flatlandreefer

He started to venture out a little bit yesterday, he is still pretty shy/skiddish and runs hides when people are around. I found the entrance to their burrow in a cave in the rock work, I can see his tail in there pretty much all the time. Hopefully he gets settled in and at least pokes his head out of the burrow most of the time. I'm glad I have seen him come out of hiding a few times so I know he is getting food, that was my biggest concern.

If you have access to their home I found that spot feeding helps for a while to ensure they eat. Eventually they get more comfortable coming out -- mine swims out into the water column to eat. Mine actually swims out with the other fish when it knows it is feeding time.

Archived