Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Frogspawn torch. Softies.

Jayva

Now before everyone starts yelling I'm not adding them. Lol

My question is. How long should I mature the tank before i do. Lighting isn't an issue anymore I have a AI hydra 52. I know over kill. But it was at a pawn shop. New in box. But missing the controller.

When it is finished cycling, add CUC, if they do well, add coral (softies/frogspawn are fairly forgiving).

It is finished. But waiting to be safe.

Nah, we are a bunch of laid back peeps, no ones gonna yell :)

Same advice.

I notmally start with cuc, I suggest a couple snails and hermits. Don't get a cuc pack, its often too many for a new tank leading to possible death by starvation which means messy tank.

Fyi- you may need to feed lightly for the cuc.

Then I get a fish once I know the tank can handle the cuc.

Then I start with a frag or 2.

Frogspawn is beautiful and easy to keep. They like moderate flow(too high will tear the tentacles) and moderate light.

My personal fav is the octo frogspawn

Torch - same family as frogspawn. Torch has long sweeper tenticles, 7" so make sure you have distance between it and others- it will sting them.

Softies - depends.

Xenia - love light and good flow but super easy coral.

Leathers - finicky corals. Love them but they get ticked easily. Lol.

Toadstools seem to be the least finicky I've had. They need decent flow but not direct. It helps remove detritus off them. Light, moderate to high i find they prefer. But they need to be acclimated to light or they react quickly.

Zoanthids - easy

mushrooms - easy. Love ricordias and yumas.

Waiting for what? :P If the cycle if finished, the tank is safe for easy lifeforms.

I don't know it's only been setup 5 days people told me wait. I might go get some snails and crabs today for a couple bucks.

Nah, we are a bunch of laid back peeps, no ones gonna yell :)

Same advice.

I notmally start with cuc, I suggest a couple snails and hermits. Don't get a cuc pack, its often too many for a new tank leading to possible death by starvation which means messy tank.

Fyi- you may need to feed lightly for the cuc.

Then I get a fish once I know the tank can handle the cuc.

Then I start with a frag or 2.

Frogspawn is beautiful and easy to keep. They like moderate flow(too high will tear the tentacles) and moderate light.

My personal fav is the octo frogspawn

Torch - same family as frogspawn. Torch has long sweeper tenticles, 7" so make sure you have distance between it and others- it will sting them.

Softies - depends.

Xenia - love light and good flow but super easy coral.

Leathers - finicky corals. Love them but they get ticked easily. Lol.

Toadstools seem to be the least finicky I've had. They need decent flow but not direct. It helps remove detritus off them. Light, moderate to high i find they prefer. But they need to be acclimated to light or they react quickly.

Zoanthids - easy

mushrooms - easy. Love ricordias and yumas.

Do they add to the bio load? I don't wanna over load it

Cycle is not finished in 5, so your idea to wait is a good one. :)

The 'cycle' is basically enough bacteria colonizing the live rock and other areas in the tank to convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. If there is no ammonia then the bacteria will die and you'll have to start over.

If you started with cured (fairly high quality) live rock then there may be enough of an ammonia source to sustain some bacteria on those rocks, hard to say.

My very first coral was a Kenya Tree, and the damn thing is still with me. :D I had issues with frogspawn until my tanks were mature, but others seem to not have this problem.

Cycle is not finished in 5, so your idea to wait is a good one. :)

The 'cycle' is basically enough bacteria colonizing the live rock and other areas in the tank to convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. If there is no ammonia then the bacteria will die and you'll have to start over.

If you started with cured (fairly high quality) live rock then there may be enough of an ammonia source to sustain some bacteria on those rocks, hard to say.

My very first coral was a Kenya Tree, and the damn thing is still with me. :D I had issues with frogspawn until my tanks were mature, but others seem to not have this problem.

The rock is fully cured. From a 3 year old system. Literally took it out of one tank into the other. It saw maybe a minute of air time lol. Now the live sand. That caused spikes. But over night they went back to 0. So it's cycled. Plus I boosted it with bio spira.

The rock is fully cured. From a 3 year old system. Literally took it out of one tank into the other. It saw maybe a minute of air time lol. Now the live sand. That caused spikes. But over night they went back to 0. So it's cycled. Plus I boosted it with bio spira.

How have you kept the bacteria alive? Is there any bioload? Getting a cleanup crew in there pronto is probably the best idea at this point.

How have you kept the bacteria alive? Is there any bioload? Getting a cleanup crew in there pronto is probably the best idea at this point.

I ghost fed it frozen brine cubes twice. The live sand had a lot of dead pods In it so it spiked the ammonia to .50 then .25 then .0. Nitrites spiked to 1PPM. Then 0 next morning.

I just checked if. Ammo 0. Trites 0 trates 5 they was 20 I did a 50% WC yesterday

I would think softies and easier LPS would be ok.

I like wavy stuff. So Xenia. GSP. Kenya.

The frog spawn I found has one head for $10. Lighting isn't an issue. I'd place it in the sand bed. Or do you not recommend the frogspawn because of water chem?

I like wavy stuff. So Xenia. GSP. Kenya.

The frog spawn I found has one head for $10. Lighting isn't an issue. I'd place it in the sand bed. Or do you not recommend the frogspawn because of water chem?

I really don't know, but the frog will tell you. If it stays closed up for more than a few days I would take it back.

Archived