Pod Your Reef

Draogonets (Yes. First time topic title)

E.Y.

HI!

I have a Biocube 29 and have a Mandarin- "Picassa" has been in my tank for 2 months. I am not an expert nor know what I am doing most of the time. I purchased because my tank had been fallow for almost 3 months and I thought it would keep her happy and busy(I refer to Picassa as a "her"- She is a work of art).

Once Picassa was home I started doing a lot of research and found that pods would be quickly depleted. I stressed and began supplementing. I purchase pods from Algae Barn via Amazon and dose my tank weekly. Thus far Picassa seems happy. I do work from home and watch on a regular basis. I probably over dump pods but I just love seeing her out and about. Once per week, I turn the lights and pump off, wait about 30 minutes and then pour pods in.

Since her arrival she has become less shy and comes to the front of the tank often when I sit down. My toddlers scare her a bit but she is becoming more accustomed and doesn't seem as scared.

Like you, I haven't seen many success stories and would be happy to post monthly to let you know.

I have chosen not to attempt to "train" Picassa rather make certain I am giving the natural food source.

That said it is very expensive. I spend approximately 60 dollars per month ordering Pods.

I realize 2 months is nothing to brag about- My hope is to continue ordering pods to keep her happy!

With regards to your question, the Mandarin was the first fish I saw at my LFS and said to myself- Is it possible for a fish that beautiful to live happily in my home?? My littles refer to her as Fluttershy, a My Little Pony who has wings similar to the way she flutters.

I will not purchase another. My two clowns are captive bred and I will continue with captive moving forward. My hope is to give Picassa a long and happy life with lots of Pods!

If you would like, I will keep you posted!

Best,

Marianne

Why not just get a copepod growing station for you house? With the amount of money you spend on pods monthly you could get a kickass system going.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just get a copepod growing station for you house? With the amount of money you spend on pods monthly you could get a kickass system going.

I have thought about it. Honestly I am digesting all of the great information I have and am trying the DIY feeder as well as picking up some food others have suggested. To be truthful I am not sure how to do growing station. I have read a few articles on the subject and many are conflicting. I have been toying around with making a QT also a growing station since it is rare I need it. However I worry about getting my perimeters just right and how to pull them from the station. If you have done this I would greatly appreciate any insight or tips you have!

We've had some success with a pair of ruby red dragonets in a 75 at my work. I wouldn't underestimate the importance of not having lots or any large fish in the tank. They consume way more of the micro fauna in our tank than I think we realize. We have 2 dragonets and a banded pipefish in the tank and all are plump.

I feel like a 75 should be the min. Live Aquaria touts 30 min but I truly believe this beauty needs a BIG mature tank!

I hope this is OK with nano-reef, but here is a link to making a mandarin feeder.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?154732-So-I-made-my-mandarin-feeder!!!-and-have-a-few-more-Q-s

Paul B is on reef central a lot and has had great success using this.

HTH

HI, I am making this tonight! Just cut out the top of my tuppeware and thankfully have one nylon to stretch over. My question is what to house in the feeder. The thread says live brine shrimp. I am getting some tomorrow. I wonder if pods should be in there also?

I feel like a 75 should be the min. Live Aquaria touts 30 min but I truly believe this beauty needs a BIG mature tank!

The 75 grows enough pods, seemingly, for the pair and the pipefish, though. I'd bet a 30 would be fine if the manarin was the only or close to the only fish.

HI, I am making this tonight! Just cut out the top of my tuppeware and thankfully have one nylon to stretch over. My question is what to house in the feeder. The thread says live brine shrimp. I am getting some tomorrow. I wonder if pods should be in there also?

I would think you could put pods in there also. From what i have read, the brine shrimp get caught in the nylon and the fish just suck them out. If you pull the nylon to tight though, it stretches the nylon open to much and the brine shrimp swim right out.

A have red and black scooter dragonet i 3 tanks and i have had them for years no problem but the other dragonet like lsd and madarin i know notthing about.

Are you thinking of a specific dragonet?

are the scooter dragonets easier to keep than mandarins or does it require plenty of pods?

So- Are you guys ready for the most bizarre news I can give?

I did two things. Set up a big seaweed pile and injected it with pods. I also brought home a sea cucumber.

Here is the odd news. Picassa loves her. The second I put her (she is her because she is pink- name, pinky magee) Picassa has shadowed her. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I brought Pinky Magee home, dripped her and put her in the tank. Picassa came to the front and hasn't left her side since she was introduced. After awhile Pinky found a place up high and Picassa swam up to find her. Picassa has never swam above her rocks and coral. When she found Pinky she came back down and went back in her cave. I have no idea what is going on but I have never seen Picassa so happy.

How crazy is this??

I thought you might enjoy a pic- Picassa is hamming it up for the camera and again checked on Pinky Magee. I really hope this is a great turning point! Who knows!??

Picassa is thrilled with her seaweed bush and keeps finding pods. She has been so active in the past 24 hours and keeps coming out to greet me! My new fish store spent almost an hour talking to me. I heard interesting info you may not agree with. They said brine shrimp are difficult for a Mandarin to digest and tear up the lining. I have decided to try injecting pods into a large seaweed ball and feed the ball every day. I will keep you posted!

My sea cucumber is just so cool. Instead of working today I spent hours researching the best practices and today was a blast. Watching her eat is mesmerizing. I will share video soon if anyone is interested.

post-90838-0-67228900-1475202307_thumb.jpg

post-90838-0-66647100-1475202324_thumb.jpg

hope you can keep the cucumber in good shape. your powerheads and such may need to be covered.

Yes you are right! Only one powerhead and am screening it ;-)

Other than that it is impossible for Miss Pinky to go through a vent!

• 2 weeks later...

That's great Msparklym.. Please keep us updated. I truly hope this works well for U and Picasa.

I have never seen a Pink Sea Cucumber before. I really thought they were different shades of

Dark to light green...

TY for sharing.

That's great Msparklym.. Please keep us updated. I truly hope this works well for U and Picasa.

I have never seen a Pink Sea Cucumber before. I really thought they were different shades of

Dark to light green...

TY for sharing.

Yay I know!! So far so good... it hasn't been long enough to know but Pinky picked her spot and is not leaving. Front and center. LOL The learning curve has already been so cool. At first, super shy and but now starting to know about feeding. I dumped food in yesterday and her "arms" stayed out the whole time. Watching her eat is truly amazing. I have done two water changes. The first time I was really worried because the water change puts her out of water. She spit out fluid, turned into a weird jellylike cucumber and I thought for sure she was pissed. Nope. After a bunch of research I found it is normal and would get used to it. Second water change, no spitting and started to move downward to water. Within moments of adding water her arms were back out. So cool how she is adapting to the environment!!!

I have the BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!

About Picassa... obviously. I thought it may have been a fluke so I didn't post about it but- she is eating frozen food!!! I bought a homemade food from the owner of my new fish store (closer one closed). The owner wasn't there but one of the guys from MACNA was. I told him I needed new food and he assumed I wanted "Len's food". He said it had just been made the day before and I should try it out- why not? I purchased and brought it home. This isn't your standard cube method rather it is a small sheet of food designed to be broken off. I loved that because so much of the cubes go to waste. I put it in, fish chowed, CUC arrived and everyone was happy. The odd aspect was Picassa was out and seemed interested in what the others were eating. I thought she may have grabbed a few bites but wasn't sure.

Tonight I fed and let a few chunks fall to the ground. My snail zombies came up and started eating but then-- wait for it-- Picassa came over, grabbed a huge chunk from a snail and ate it! Then she came back and grabbed another big bite!! OMG such a game changer and I don't want to get too excited but clearly I am. I am so hopeful I might have found a food she will eat. I will keep you posted as I know we are all looking for ways to feed a Mandarin. I have tried so many ideas and so far this has been the only time I have seen interest!

That's great! I have found that my Spotted Dragonet only picks at frozen foods (mysis), but never really pigs out like my other fish. When he's obviously hungry he gets excited, and gulps a few down, but then mostly ignores it. Amazing looking little cucumber, I'm looking at getting a Yellow cuce.

What is in the food you bought?

I have no idea ahahahhahaah- It was "Len's homemade food". He is the owner of the LFS and I figured- why not? No packaging just a brick I break off. I will find out what is in it on Friday when I visit the store. Last week I told them about Picassa and they said I was the 3rd person who had success but didn't take it serious until me- they know I have tried every possible food!

That's great! I have found that my Spotted Dragonet only picks at frozen foods (mysis), but never really pigs out like my other fish. When he's obviously hungry he gets excited, and gulps a few down, but then mostly ignores it. Amazing looking little cucumber, I'm looking at getting a Yellow cuce.

Yay! When I put the food in Picassa comes to the front- I have watched her grab it from a snail a couple of times. She might be just really hungry but I will take anything! She is finally starting to plump up and when she eats too much her stomach bulges LOL

Pinky (Cuce) is so far awesome. She committed to the front and center of my tank and refuses to move. At first when I was feeding her arms would go in but now is ready. Watching the cuce eat is so awesome. It is truly amazing and the fish respect the hell out of her. They swim around but don't touch- I think the spikes let them know it is a really bad idea. So far so good with Pinky :-) I can tell you that my LFS said it would pick a spot and not move, just look pretty. I didn't believe them because the first few days Pinky was on the move. However they were right. She picked the middle spot right where the powerhead gives best flow. Doesn't stray from her spot. Up high so the first time I did my water change I was stressed- "spit" and I was worried. Since then I have done 2 more water changes and no spitting just turns jellylike until water is back on her. Her arms come out within 5 minutes. Truly phenomenal to watch!

Just so this thread knows- Picassa passed today. She was the last fish to die when my power head decided to disengage during the night. All of my fish died and Picassa fought for another day. I just kept hoping but nope. I am so sad and those that were following this thread know how special she was. It REALLY sucks when we get attached and spend so much time to find their happiness. Picassa was finally eating frozen from the moment I put food in and I had quit spot feeding a week ago.

:-(

Best of luck to those that get Mandarins or accidentally run across this post because their LFS sold them one.

I won't again knowing what I now know unless captive bred and readily eating frozen.

Moving forward I will only purchase captive bred fish. Today is a sad day.

I am So sorry to hear this. To be honest I am kinda pissed off for you. After everything you have done, after all the money and time and emotion you put into that tank/fish. To have it end like this, just after Picassa seemed happy with friendship and thriving with food that was a huge quality of life most for the owner. It just sucks!

Just know that you absolutely did a wonderful job and even more by taken us on this journey. This thread will definitely help and educate others. So for that the community is appreciative.

Regarding preventive measures... What did you mean "disengage"? Is it one of the magnet type of PH that can come apart? If so is this common? If it is perhaps people should stay clear of this. I never even considered that.

Archived