Cultivated Reef

Arc's 5 Gallon Cylinder

Archetype

HI everyone. After a little break and going part time in Nursing school, I decided to jump back in. I decided on a 5 gallon pico cylinder (12in x 12in). The total volume is 6.5 gallons. Here is what I have for equipment:

Lighting: Kessil a160we with spectral controller

Filtration: Mame Overflow with CAD lights Zen 3 gallon sump with Oceanbox design inserts

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Slient 1.0

ATO: Autoaqua micro with 5 gallon reservoir

Heater: Cobalt Aquatics 25W Neotherm

Chiller: Chill Solutions CSXC-1

Livestock (so far):

Ruby Red Maxi Mini Anemone

Randall’s pistol shrimp

Green Anchor coral

LOR Zoas

Rastas

AOG Zoas

Pics to follow

Marc.The.Shark

Nice! Glad to see another cylinder! I have an 8gal (link in my sig) thats been up for about 2 years now. Very unique & starting to catch on as I'm seeing more of them. I've had mine for over 12years, but it was taken down for about 5 or 6. Yours looks very similar to my setup with the stand, sump, etc. looking foward ro seeing the progress!!

does a cylinder have any psychological effects on it's occupants?

most animals like having a spot they can back into where they can protect/guard their front.

That looks really nice & clean! Love cylinder tanks & that should work well for you. Been meaning to post an update on mine.

Thanks everyone!! I forgot to mention that I will be doing close to 100% water change, once per week on this. It was originally going to be just the cylinder and no sump, but my wife didn't like all the equipment in the back of the tank. So far the corals and anemone don't mind the large water change.

Friendly,

I don't know of any psychological effects on the anything yet, as there are only 2 scarlet hermits and some snails in there. The rock structure takes up a lot of the back, so hopefully it won't matter. I have a yasha goby on order from my LFS, so I will report back if there are any effects.

Merthynia,

I bought a bathroom vanity from Menards...it was the perfect dimensions for this cylinder. Luckily the color matches our furniture perfectly. Here is a link to the one I bought: http://www.menards.com/main/bath/bathroom-vanities-cabinets-mirrors/vanities-without-tops/monroe-collection-18-x-16-vanity-base/p-1444428225672-c-5903.htm?tid=-4040284990445389105

I then had a local lumber yard cut it exactly to the top dimensions, stained it, and then I doweled it on and waterproofed the outside and inside.

Thank you Justind823! The mame overflow is fantastic. With the silencer cap, it is dead silent. I can hear the fan from the Kessil and a little bit of surface turbulence. This may be a little nerdy, but there is nothing like a clean mame overflow (like a freshly washed car)!!!

Archived