Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIRT - Was a great AIC record...

crawdads57

So I'm starting up a couple more smaller tanks. A frag tank and a tank I intend to be a stand alone refugium (let's see what happens) food tank. Both are going to be rimless / lidless.

So I have a couple dogs too - 2 boston terriers. Not terrible shedders, but still... They don't take their shoes off when they come inside. My ol' lady is a fiend for the vacuum cleaner. And this all gets me thinking. So I get on the forums and I search "dirt" then I search "dust" then I search "hair" and "dog hair."

I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at - and I wouldn't be surprised if other new-comers were a little embarrassed to ask the same thing.

What is the deal with open top tanks and air-borne, house-hold detritus? Should I be worried? Does no discussion exist because I should just somehow magically know what is too much "dust"? Or is it taboo because of the complication of the Orkin-man?

He comes to my house. He says he stays away from, "the entire wall and the window that is by my tank." But does he? How the hell would I know - I'm at work!?

Experiences with dirt, insecticides, or fuzz? Please give me some peace of mind at the very least. Or scare the hell out of me - I'm ready!

If there is airborne detritus, crap, and hair floating around all the time, I would be concerned with your health before the tanks. ?

However you can get great air filters if you go online. Avoid insecticides and chemical sprays in general near your tank.

Ha, that's a good point you make about my health vs my tank. Seems kinda obvious when you look at it like that. And in no way do I think I have dirt in the house that would be harmful to a human's health. I think my house is just like any regular persons house, and with less dust than a typical house where I grew up. It was so dry dusty and windy where I'm from that there was no escape from it. It is on the edge of where the dust bowl happened, so makes sense.

Archived