Innovative Marine Aquariums

Please recommend me for rock design.

forcible79

Hi,

I have started to setup new reef aquarium. I will feed 2 clown and maybe 1 blue tang or yellow tang i am not sure. In future i hope i will set up zoa garden.

But i can not be sure regarding how to be the rock design. i read some article but unfortunately i can't design. After design fix, i don't want to change rock places in future.

Could you please support and recommend me how i should design it.

You can see attached my current design.

Thank you

post-86059-0-83419600-1472128863_thumb.jpg

post-86059-0-83661900-1472128865_thumb.jpg

Sorry if I am mistaken but soon after you put a tang in there it will be too small for it. Tank looks like it's under 20 gallons.

Here is a link for aqua scaping.

SantaMonicaHelp

Since 308BCE, the Golden Ratio has been noted as aesthetically pleasing. I suggest going with a design that follows the Golden Ratio. You can try googling "Golden Ratio rock scapes" or "Golden Ratio fish tanks" to get some good practical examples. :) Hope I can help.

- C. Smith

Thank you so much for your help guys. I changed my design. I think it's better right now. If i had more different shape rock, i could make different design but with my current rock this is my best. What is your thoughts? Is iy better?

post-86059-0-56518500-1472450025_thumb.jpg

post-86059-0-59399400-1472450027_thumb.jpg

I like the area at the front that's flat; it'll make for nice coral placement. Looks good!

If you are looking for suggestions, I'd remove the middle rock but I'm a sucker for 2 pillar aquascapes :P.

Here's what I'm thinking...

ckDuDN0.jpg

SantaMonicaHelp

Thank you so much for your help guys. I changed my design. I think it's better right now. If i had more different shape rock, i could make different design but with my current rock this is my best. What is your thoughts? Is iy better?

You're welcome, I'm always happy to be of assistance. I'm not a huge fan of that display, but what really matters is that you like it. I like asymmetrical scapes.

- C. Smith

• 3 weeks later...

The best way to aquascape is allowing for flow to get all around the rocks so you don't have dead zones.

Some like a wall of rocks, some like 2 different islands, some build cave areas for fish that like to hide or low light corals.

You can play around with them, theres no perfect rock shapes but you can epoxy them to make different shapes.

Try looking up your specific tank on google and you'll get some ideas. You can also draw out some ideas before rearranging things.

As for tangs, if the tank isn't 70g or greater, don't add them. They get highly stressed in small tanks, prone to disease, especially ich, produce lots of waste, and need lots of swimming rm.

I hate rock work. I like solitary islands. And that way everything gets flow. Everything is separated. Nothing grows on top of each other. Or fights. If you keep the islands species specific.

You don't have to. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived