Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lets talk controllers

drgibby

So ive been looking at controllers ever since i saw the fishbit kickstarter. I really liked the simplicity of there program but there bulkyness of the probs didn't work well for nanos.

Apex is one that i see everywhere and with the recent revision of there product and making the thing wireless is huge.

Im leaning toward the apex jr but am wondering if they will ever redo it making it wireless as well.

If they dont do you have to leave the Ethernet plugged in order to turn off the outlets? I read somewhere that once you configured it you didn't need connection and that just confuses me.

What other controllers are out there pros cons easy use vs more tech setups?

I use 2 Apex and simply love them. You only need to have it wired when you upload new firmware updates. Otherwise you can hook it up to a cheap network adapter like a NetGear and use wireless

BRS gave a good rundown in their 52 weeks of reefing series. I personally prefer Apex to Digital Aquatics having owned both.

My apex drops connection all the time. I have the old one and a wireless adapter. Its pretty annoying when it drops connection. The thing still works fine but I can't adjust my DOS anymore or check on temperature away from home. For the amount of money I paid for the setup, I am pretty disappointed. I am glad the new one has wireless built in but I wonder if you still need to plug in wired Ethernet to update. That is even more annoying since my router is on a different floor. Every time I have to do an update, I have to remove the entire setup and bring it to the second floor. I can't wait for a smarter company to disrupt this market and take over Apex. They have a monopoly now but their stuff kinda sucks from technology standpoint. Fishbit looks promising.

Ive been looking into fishbit more and more. I wish Apex would release the JR but with the wireless capabilities as i really dont trust wireless adapters to hold a steady connection. Anyone know if this is in the works? I see they re did the EB8

Ive been looking into fishbit more and more. I wish Apex would release the JR but with the wireless capabilities as i really dont trust wireless adapters to hold a steady connection. Anyone know if this is in the works? I see they re did the EB8

I never have issues with my wireless connection via this: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-WNCE2001/dp/B003KPBRRW

My apex drops connection all the time. I have the old one and a wireless adapter. Its pretty annoying when it drops connection. The thing still works fine but I can't adjust my DOS anymore or check on temperature away from home. For the amount of money I paid for the setup, I am pretty disappointed. I am glad the new one has wireless built in but I wonder if you still need to plug in wired Ethernet to update. That is even more annoying since my router is on a different floor. Every time I have to do an update, I have to remove the entire setup and bring it to the second floor. I can't wait for a smarter company to disrupt this market and take over Apex. They have a monopoly now but their stuff kinda sucks from technology standpoint. Fishbit looks promising.

I could see you having issues if your wireless router is on a different floor than the tank. I am afraid you will face the same issue with the new apex because of this as well. As for the firmware update I believe it has changed and you actually do not do them anymore?

If you just bought an eb8 can you control the outlets still or do you need the other unit/part?

I am not sure, but I really doubt it. I suggest you get the Apex Jr since it is relatively cheap now.

I am not sure, but I really doubt it. I suggest you get the Apex Jr since it is relatively cheap now.

Thats what im leaning towards... just waiting for the next BRS bulk buy

Archived