inTank Media Baskets

Beneficial Growth

Astinus

Is there a Thread regarding Beneficial Growth & Critters?

I am wondering if Folks could Post the good Stuff for our Tanks.

I have a Bit of Sponge Growth and quite a few (Many actually) Tube Worms (White Feather Dusters)

I Just noticed what appeared to be a Bristle worm!! Are these a good sign of tank health too?

Regarding the Bristle Worm thing, Can't get a pic right now, hiding in rocks.

I wonder how long this Worm has been in our Tank? The last addition to our Tank was a Green Anemone. Can they come in on LR or Corals as eggs? How long before they reach, in this case, about 3 inches long. What do these guys eat?

What other Organisms are "Good" and a sign of a "Healthy" Tank?

fishfreak0114

I haven't seen a thread about that, there is the ultimate ID guide though which tells you if something is good/reef friendly or not.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/132956-the-ultimate-id-thread-before-you-post-whats-this-look-here/

Bristleworms seem to come in on everything, rock frags etc. I'm not sure how fast they grow, but I have some 4-5" that I hope to never see again :wacko: they're scavengers, so they eat detritus and left over food. Their population seems to depend on how much food is around, I started feeding heavier a couple months ago and I have way more worms all of a sudden. They're not "bad", but it does hurt if you brush against them (the bristles end up stuck in your hand)

Got a Pic of it.

kBpEDP.jpg

I haven't seen a thread about that, there is the ultimate ID guide though which tells you if something is good/reef friendly or not.
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/132956-the-ultimate-id-thread-before-you-post-whats-this-look-here/

Bristleworms seem to come in on everything, rock frags etc. I'm not sure how fast they grow, but I have some 4-5" that I hope to never see again :wacko: they're scavengers, so they eat detritus and left over food. Their population seems to depend on how much food is around, I started feeding heavier a couple months ago and I have way more worms all of a sudden. They're not "bad", but it does hurt if you brush against them (the bristles end up stuck in your hand)

Yes, I have seen and been thru some of the thread, I was hoping to find something more specific regarding the Good Guys.

A condensed version, if u will.

Can Bristle Worms be a Problem? Just found a 2nd one and saw something looking like a "Baby" Worm... 3 maybe 4 segments.

It was Kind of Squirming and Twisting to like "Spring" around?

Nano sapiens

Can Bristle Worms be a Problem? Just found a 2nd one and saw something looking like a "Baby" Worm... 3 maybe 4 segments.

It was Kind of Squirming and Twisting to like "Spring" around?

The typical detrtus-eating type are generally harmless to other tank inhabitants. However, they often steal the coral's food and the more you have the more of an issue this might be.

Since we humans are so bad at judging quanities of food to feed our fish, you can use your bristleworm population as a guide to whether or not you are feeding too much (if you find them all over the place and literally out in the open crawling around the tank...too much food input :) )

There is Melevs reef which has a section for predators, good hitchikers, disease etc.

http://www.melevsreef.com/critter-id

Bristle worms are fine as long as they aren't overly populating your tank- thats a sign something is wrong.

The worms keep your sandbed and in between small areas clean. They can grow to various sizes depending on type.

Feather dusters are fine as well

TY Clown :) TY for thee link too.

I will definitely keep an eye on the Bristle Worm Population.

I have noticed 2 in the Rock work, in the dark areas. I also noticed them "Cleaning" the sand

when I saw them.

I have a huge 6 inch one. I cannot stand it. I'm thinking of making a trap out of water bottles to remove it. It's too big and scary. Creeps me and the kids out when we see it at night. (Rock came out of a 300G tank)

Thats a good size bristle! They do have traps for them.

When I started my most recent tank, I had quite a lot of bristles but now not so much.

Thats a good size bristle! They do have traps for them.

When I started my most recent tank, I had quite a lot of bristles but now not so much.

To big for a nano. And my kids and wife are afraid of it. I want them to interact with the tank. But as long as the worms in it they stay away lol

I have an actual phobia of bugs, worms aren't bugs.

The whole tank is full of bugs.

Wait till they see all the pods on the glass, or the very large ones crawling everywhere.

When I was at our LFS yesterday, brought a water sample to be tested. I told Brandy about our Bristle Worm(s).

Her reply was, "They come in on LR"

We used LR from their holding tank. So, with that said, I now know where ours came from.

It sounds like, if ur doing LR, they will be Hitchhiking along for the ride.

They can come in on corals and plugs as well.

My 10g was set up with dry base rock - had bristle worms.

You can't avoid all hitch hikers. And the worms are beneficial.

Archived