Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yellow watchman question

flatlandreefer

flatlandreefer

Is there a difference between yellow watchman gobies from different regions? Live Aquaria has two different options, one from sri lanka and one from indonesia both for the same price.

Wow..Good question.

I Just looked at maps of the 2 Countries. Many, many Miles apart. Not to mention Land Barriers. (Islands)

Wish I could answer ya.

Cencalfishguy56

Is there a difference between yellow watchman gobies from different regions? Live Aquaria has two different options, one from sri lanka and one from indonesia both for the same price.

probably coloration? I imagine different reef systems
flatlandreefer

called and asked, the woman helping me kind of chuckled and said there is no difference just the collection site, they are the same fish so I guess that settles that. I wonder why they even give the option to pick the fishes origin?

When I called and asked them a woman told me that the Sri Lanka variety was potentially more colorful, even though they are the same price. If you look around on there you'll see a couple examples of things from Sri Lanka vs Indonesia, but I think the YWG is the only instance where they are the same price, usually the Sri Lanka options are a little more. I can't confirm because I ended up getting mine locally and I have no idea where he originally came from, but I have seen more colorful YWGs than mine.

• 3 weeks later...
SantaMonicaHelp

Went with the Indonesian, should be here in a few days

How is the Yellow Watchman you received? Is it shifting sand all day and all night? :)

- C. Smith

flatlandreefer

How is the Yellow Watchman you received? Is it shifting sand all day and all night? :)

- C. Smith

He hid the first several days after introducing him to the tank. I got a pistol shrimp to pair with him so the shrimp dug a few burrows throughout the aquarium but I did not know where the entrance was at first. After a few days I found the entrance to the burrow in a cave in the middle of my rockwork, still no sign of the YWG. A day or so after that, a week or so after I introduced him, I saw him out of the burrow when I was just entering the room and nobody else was in there either to spook him, but he quickly returned to the burrow when he saw me. This continued for several days and when he wasn't out you could see his tail at the entrance to the burrow. The past 5 days we have had company staying at our house with 5 dogs so there has been a little bit of noise in the house haha. While the company has been here I have not seen him out of the burrow a single time. Still hoping that he gets adjusted and becomes a little less shy. I really wish he would at least turn around and poke his head out instead of just looking at the tip of his tail alll of the time. Also I haven't seen the pistol since I introduced the pair.

SantaMonicaHelp

Good to hear it! I always wanted a Watchman that shifts sand. I find it very entertaining to watch hahaha. The poor little fish was probably scared of company. I recall reading a thread where someone tried to train a Diamond Watchman to shift and not burrow. I've even read posts about other fish following a Watchman and trying to shift sand haha.

Any news on the pistol?

- C. Smith

Archived