ReefCleaners.org

(PICS) Help me please. I need help with my continuous gelidium outbreak

evan127

Now I am not sure this is gelidium. It completely (to the human eye) comes off the rock when it's blown with a turkey baster. And I'm also not positive it's not not a nutrient issue.

Well that makes everything a lot easier. Hair algae and cyano are fairly easy to get under control.

The nutrients are probably coming from the sand bed. You'll want to siphon out as much cyano as possible (blow it off the rocks and siphon it out).

You'll need to clean or replace your sand. It's easier to replace, but it is possible to clean and reuse it. To do so without crashing your tank, you'll need to remove everything without disturbing your sand (once you disturb it, any remaining water should be discarded). I've spelled out how to do this in Hammerstone's Tank thread. Read through that thread, it might help you.

Looks like cyano on the rocks, diatoms on the sand bed, and GHA under the cyano to me. 10 chromis may be too much for filtration or maintenance lacking somewhere.

You should have kept this tank and set it up for lettuce sea slugs and jester goby habitat :happy:

I've rearranged my sump a little bit today. I have two filter socks on that have been changed twice today (since blowing off the rocks and doing a water change). I've put my skimmer in the second chamber and made the first chamber a refugium again (no sand, just chaeto)

Cencalfishguy56

I've rearranged my sump a little bit today. I have two filter socks on that have been changed twice today (since blowing off the rocks and doing a water change). I've put my skimmer in the second chamber and made the first chamber a refugium again (no sand, just chaeto)

try shooting for caulerpa? Uptakes nutrients at a much faster rate, have not had any problems with it going sexual either

Sounds like you have a nutrient export method now with the macro algae. Physcial removal is always a good idea. It might look like you're spreading it but the truth is any amount you remove is that much less total nutrient in the tank. GFO will handle the phosphate but not the nitrates. I also don't see any PH values listed. Check that.

It took me 4+ hours on my 20g to remove all the rock and scrub it clean of hair algae. I'm glad I did. I took out months of nutrient build up due to my neglect. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread and call it case closed. It wasn't gelidium. It was spirulina. Chemiclean cleared it up in 48 hours with one dose. Thanks to all who contributed!

Archived