SaltCritters.com

Death-co live rock.

Jayva

The only reason I'm even bringing this up is because I have a $50 gift card to petco. And it can't be used online and I refuse to buy fish from them their all half dead. And I have all the dry goods I need. And their lights suck.

But anyway. Their live rock looks nice their completely covered in purple coralline algae. I think it's Fiji. But their tanks are horrible. Can diseases like ich and etc be transferred from live rock into my new system I'm setting up?

GunslingerGirl

If the system is plumbed into the fish system... Stuff could theoretically get into the rock. Now if it's something parasitic usually a couple months of fish free will take care of that stuff (like ich). But if there is ANYTHING bad stuff could live on within or on the rock so that it could survive... theoretically then yes it could hold bad stuff.

It's less likely but obviously fish parasites have to be able to transmit from host to host via water transfer or close contact. In a closed system... could get stuff in water column for awhile.

I would not trust it, if it were my tank. I buy frozen food from petco because it's convenient and I know it won't melt on the ten minute drive home. Something to keep in mind.

Also I have other animals so if you have cats/dogs/etc use it on that maybe?

If the system is plumbed into the fish system... Stuff could theoretically get into the rock. Now if it's something parasitic usually a couple months of fish free will take care of that stuff (like ich). But if there is ANYTHING bad stuff could live on within or on the rock so that it could survive... theoretically then yes it could hold bad stuff.

It's less likely but obviously fish parasites have to be able to transmit from host to host via water transfer or close contact. In a closed system... could get stuff in water column for awhile.

I would not trust it, if it were my tank. I buy frozen food from petco because it's convenient and I know it won't melt on the ten minute drive home. Something to keep in mind.

Also I have other animals so if you have cats/dogs/etc use it on that maybe?

No. No other critters. I guess ill hold onto it if I ever need something. Like Purigen or prime or somethin lol.

GunslingerGirl

No. No other critters. I guess ill hold onto it if I ever need something. Like Purigen or prime or somethin lol.

I think that's safest. But maybe do a search on here and see if anybody else has bought liverock from them?

I think that's safest. But maybe do a search on here and see if anybody else has bought liverock from them?

I really don't wanna risk it. A friend of mine said she'd give me 5-8lbs out of her sump. I trust her. Her tanks been running about 6 years now. I don't need much since it's a pico. Thanks for your input

GunslingerGirl

I really don't wanna risk it. A friend of mine said she'd give me 5-8lbs out of her sump. I trust her. Her tanks been running about 6 years now. I don't need much since it's a pico. Thanks for your input

Sweet deal!

Good luck!

Sounds like a good thing :) You could always use the gift card on salt. The frozen mysis isn't half bad either as long as it hasn't been sitting in their freezer for ages.

You could actually use it on fish too. The thing is to ask them what days and times they get fish in. They will even order fish for you by request and you don't have to buy it if you don't like the look of the fish once it comes in. From there be sure to show up the day/time (a bit early) the fish arrive and get it while it is till in the bag so it never touches the water.

At least this is how the Petco I used would do it. They even got corals in.

Sounds like a good thing :) You could always use the gift card on salt. The frozen mysis isn't half bad either as long as it hasn't been sitting in their freezer for ages.

You could actually use it on fish too. The thing is to ask them what days and times they get fish in. They will even order fish for you by request and you don't have to buy it if you don't like the look of the fish once it comes in. From there be sure to show up the day/time (a bit early) the fish arrive and get it while it is till in the bag so it never touches the water.

At least this is how the Petco I used would do it. They even got corals in.

Great idea. I'll look into thank thanks.

Archived