Pod Your Reef

Help. Please.

Jayva

My aunts been going out buying me random stuff lol aunt purchased a green killing machine. Internal UV sterilizer with power head. Bla bla bla.

Is that over kill for a 6G nano. Or will I benefit from it? I can always return it for $50 bucks and get something else.

Yeah, it's overkill for a 6g. What other equipment do you have/ are you getting?

It's not setup yet. Getting pieces here and there. Ordered live sand. Looking for LR. So far it has its stock AC20. Stock crappy 7500k blue/white LED. 50 watt heater. And a Aqueon fan type PH 500GPH Which is gonna create a typhoon so I may return it and try to find something smaller.

GunslingerGirl

It's not setup yet. Getting pieces here and there. Ordered live sand. Looking for LR. So far it has its stock AC20. Stock crappy 7500k blue/white LED. 50 watt heater. And a Aqueon fan type PH 500GPH Which is gonna create a typhoon so I may return it and try to find something smaller.

So you need new lights. But you know that. Maybe put the money from this back into the new lights? What do you want to keep?

As far as the powerhead... for what it's worth I have a 425 Koralia in my 5 gallon and I think it's not enough to get all the corners. I am constantly cleaning the tank in the dead spots. I would keep the PH.

So you need new lights. But you know that. Maybe put the money from this back into the new lights? What do you want to keep?

As far as the powerhead... for what it's worth I have a 425 Koralia in my 5 gallon and I think it's not enough to get all the corners. I am constantly cleaning the tank in the dead spots. I would keep the PH.

You gave me so much relief. I was worried that power head would destroy everything.

I want to keep two itty bitty clowns. Because eventually I'm gonna upgrade. You know how it is. One tanks never enough haha. And CUC. And coral. I only want green star polyps. Maybe pulsing Xenia. Do you think this light can handle GSP? Maybe placed high up on the rock

GunslingerGirl

You gave me so much relief. I was worried that power head would destroy everything.

I want to keep two itty bitty clowns. Because eventually I'm gonna upgrade. You know how it is. One tanks never enough haha. And CUC. And coral. I only want green star polyps. Maybe pulsing Xenia. Do you think this light can handle GSP? Maybe placed high up on the rock

Two clowns in a 6 gallon? If you want that I suggest just go out and get a 10-20 gallon. They will be so much happier. Maybe you can get away with one in the tank for awhile.

Sorry to be blunt but I was also like you once. I have one clown in a 5 gallon. I feel horrible. The clown never moves... makes waaay too much waste and I am constantly changing water. He's only about 2 inches right now. Took him years to double to that size. Probably because I was dumb and put him in there. I really do feel as if he's suffering.

Now I am building a 25 gallon. He is going to think he died and went to heaven.

I just would hate to see your tank flop because of too much bioload, yea know? Take it as you like and do with it as you will. But I think one clown in a 6 is even pushing it. I suggest some colorful gobies. You can probably have two or three in there for the bioload of 1.5 clowns.

As far as the light... If you are going to upgrade the light anyway might as well just do it. I did the bad light thing and watched my corals struggle. Even my GSP. I suggest a coral compulsion par 38 bulb. You can even get them on Amazon now. With that you can keep a lot of stuff and it's only $100, $130 with the mount if you go that route. AND Amazon giftcards are great gifts for people to give you lol

Or save up for a better light and keep everything under the sun in due course.

It'll be awhile until you can keep anything anyway since you'll need to cycle and all that. So you should be able to gather as you go.

Your right. I've been out of this for a while. Maybe I'll just CUC and a big banded shrimp to have something in there moving around. Or a tiny goby or a damsel. Or a trigger. Jk lol

GunslingerGirl

Your right. I've been out of this for a while. Maybe I'll just CUC and a big banded shrimp to have something in there moving around. Or a tiny goby or a damsel. Or a trigger. Jk lol

Nah put a tang in there. It can probably turn around lol

You know some of the coolest tanks are just inverts. If I went that route with that size tank... I'd do zoas and anemones. Do some nem shrimps and pom pom crabs. Boom. Sweet tank. My suggestion. But I'm ok with no swimmers. (at least now I am)

Like I said, if you want to try a clown.. your tank. If you are planning on upgrading though... why not just wait?

Once again, it is your tank. You can make all the calls based on your research. We do have a suggested fish thread under the beginner's discussion forum. It's not 100% inclusive, but it's a good springboard.

Nah put a tang in there. It can probably turn around lol

You know some of the coolest tanks are just inverts. If I went that route with that size tank... I'd do zoas and anemones. Do some nem shrimps and pom pom crabs. Boom. Sweet tank. My suggestion. But I'm ok with no swimmers. (at least now I am)

Like I said, if you want to try a clown.. your tank. If you are planning on upgrading though... why not just wait?

Once again, it is your tank. You can make all the calls based on your research. We do have a suggested fish thread under the beginner's discussion forum. It's not 100% inclusive, but it's a good springboard.[/quot

I appreciate it. Thinking about an invert tank sounds kinda cool. Shrimp crabs snails. Gotta wait bout 6 months for a nem. I love torches too but that's also a long wait.

Around xmas time I'm gonna do a 30-40 bow front.

• 3 weeks later...

We have mostly inverts and a little clown goby in our little tank. He's fun to watch and pretty too. He kind of interacts with all the critters in our tank and swims through all the corals putting on a display when he wants to be fed. I'd recommend them for a little tank, they're great!

Archived