Pod Your Reef

Snow's Bridge of Flowers

Snow_Phoenix

Snow_Phoenix

Hungry ghost festival has been going on, and I decided to grab a pair of mooncakes for the family. Crystal jackfruit on the right and traditionally baked lotus with double yolk on the left.

7e33dc964dde489380c850c6f9f6baba.png

Also, I added another vial of the bacteria booster (bacterial food/supplement) to the tank to aid with ammonia/nitrite breakdown.

dd3b2ab0be9f4cc3a661ad529ad16fa0.png

And I discovered something bizarre - apparently I had several old dry rock pieces stashed in my cupboard. I couldn't smash the central one into smaller pieces (believe me, I tried) because it was too thick, but I managed to break up the one on the right to five smaller fragments and put them and the rock on the extreme left into the sump. Looks like there was a lot of air pockets trapped in the rocks because they floated in the water for a short while.

32eec4c186094fb4ae3c5574b3584595.png

I dropped by the LFS in hopes of scoping out another small combtooth blenny or YCG, but ended up grabbing some inverts instead.

1. Porcelain anemone crab pair.

78942df863dd4fe6b94262c7cb085134.png

2. White Spotted anemone shrimp pair. (LFS had a berried female that was almost 2" long but it was sold)

424f616ab8874422ba89fdcdf32a9499.png

3. Saron shrimp male (mature). (They had 2 juvi males but I didn't take them)

08b89387165e400b885b99317a86b0c4.png

4. Whole group in acclimation bucket before being moved to QT.

d5851414597a4151b686ac7e460982ab.png

5. Also, these two are still okay in QT.

76b618446b7c48c48069622b284b0181.png

Lastly, the LFS had something very unique. They're red and tiny (around 1") but look like pipefish. However, their bodies undulate like an eel at the lower half - I'm sorry I couldn't get a pic so I stole one online. I searched through google and found a match:

c4526bca5387474f8de3bbbeeb89a141.png

I'll be honest - if they were eating at the store through some miraculous reason, I would have grabbed a pair of those striped clingfish. But their diets are too specific (urchin foot eaters??? :eek: ), and I don't think they even eat pods. Another pretty fish, probably best left to an expert aquarist.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the yellow/black clingfish here. They love shrimp eggs, so much they will harass anything in the tank carrying eggs. The females are apparently easier to get eating (at least when nutramar ova was around) and they can be sexed. Here is some great info on them: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellowstripe-clingfish-diademichthys-lineatus-breeding.123948/

If you ever try one, they are jumpers and can fit through 1/4 inch netting so make sure to have a secure lid.

Love the new inverts!!

Snow_Phoenix

We have the yellow/black clingfish here. They love shrimp eggs, so much they will harass anything in the tank carrying eggs. The females are apparently easier to get eating (at least when nutramar ova was around) and they can be sexed. Here is some great info on them: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellowstripe-clingfish-diademichthys-lineatus-breeding.123948/

If you ever try one, they are jumpers and can fit through 1/4 inch netting so make sure to have a secure lid.

Love the new inverts!!

Oh, Tam - thank you so much for that link. I have frozen crab roe which I feed my goby and inverts every two days once (the alternate day would be mysis/brine/pellets). Think it might eat crab roe? I managed to get everyone eating roe so far.

I'll see if I can sex them. They're really beautiful up close.

And thank you. I love them too, but I think my Saron has some shell rot in one of his front claws (just noticed it today - I put him in a plastic cup to get a closer pic - take note of that black spot):

7776198855d0447bb8c0197866696f04.png

Is there a way to treat this? The QT doesn't have a light, and I change the water (full 100% WC) every week. I'll up the changes to twice a week if it helps.

Also, I know I updated these photos on NR late - I actually purchased these guys yesterday morning. I was pretty sure no one was carrying any eggs yesterday morning, yet today I see a thin layer of eggs already beginning to develop under my female nem crab's carapace:

6e8eebe1df6941f192ba854edeee7ab8.png

0eadd4ab83104d778baf88d487039fa6.png

My White Spotted nem shrimps are also doing quite well.

e7dbf159f56f46b1880e9b6d44a353df.png

On a side note, my 0.5" Pistol shrimp tried to take on my 1.5" grumpy female crab. Luckily no one was hurt and the crab surprisingly backed down pretty quick. It was quite amusing to watch though - how a tiny pistol could terrify a crab with seemingly huge overgrown claws. :lol:

GunslingerGirl

Hungry ghost festival has been going on, and I decided to grab a pair of mooncakes for the family. Crystal jackfruit on the right and traditionally baked lotus with double yolk on the left.

7e33dc964dde489380c850c6f9f6baba.png

Hold on...buying my plane ticket lol

I've seen jackfruit for sale but I'm afraid to eat it because it looks too much like durian. However THAT looks delicious.

The inverts are looking good! Nice mix of stuff. Here's to hoping they all make it through QT.

RIP wrasse buddy. :(

I gave up on breaking up my rocks when I broke the hammer :rolleyes: So at least you didn't do that.

I would bring the eggs with me and ask the LFS to try and feed it with the eggs. It's probably not worth the risk unless you know it is eating. Make sure it cant fit into your back chambers. It may attack your female crab though for those eggs.

For shell rot (can saron shrimp get that? not even sure). I would just feed vitamin enriched foods and keep water quality up.

Snow_Phoenix

Hold on...buying my plane ticket lol

I've seen jackfruit for sale but I'm afraid to eat it because it looks too much like durian. However THAT looks delicious.

The inverts are looking good! Nice mix of stuff. Here's to hoping they all make it through QT.

RIP wrasse buddy. :(

I gave up on breaking up my rocks when I broke the hammer :rolleyes: So at least you didn't do that.

Jackfruit is delicious and doesn't smell bad - so don't worry. It does have a strong taste though.

Thank you.

Lol - I nearly broke my dad's hammer and the surrounding kitchen tiles when I pounded away on the rocks. I don't think he appreciated that. :rolleyes:

I would bring the eggs with me and ask the LFS to try and feed it with the eggs. It's probably not worth the risk unless you know it is eating. Make sure it cant fit into your back chambers. It may attack your female crab though for those eggs.

For shell rot (can saron shrimp get that? not even sure). I would just feed vitamin enriched foods and keep water quality up.

Yeah, perhaps not such a good idea to buy one after all, then. I read a few more articles on the fish, and no one has had any long-term success with them, even after providing roe and an urchin. Only one lasted up to six months (?) before dying. I guess I better save up money to get a YCG or small blenny or Talbot's instead.

I'm not sure either. He's eating very well though - so hopefully the mark/rot/whatever-it-is will be gone within the next molt. Thanks for all the tips!

Snow_Phoenix

A small sneak peek of my sump:

d0db267a7a224175a68645eae7a25caf.png

Chamber 1 has filter floss, activated carbon and a PO4 remover. Chamber 2 has a nano skimmer. Chamber 3 has the stock pump with some dry rock pieces (that will hopefully become live sometime soon).

Also, Phoenix was posing quite well today and begging to get his photo taken - he says hello to all you lovely folk on NR:

279efd7a9e8d49c481c46538a5f1dff3.png

19b434c30323450c8d3ad6e0c7c3f2f9.png

e1608199faf2473f97ffe7031abc962a.png

Also, I'm thinking of concentrating more on other compatible inverts that can fit in a nano. My 2nd LFS branch near the industrial area of the city told me they will have a new shipment this Thursday, and the manager there told me to come and look at their latest stock if I want to purchase a small blenny or YCG. The 1st LFS that I frequently go to is having a major wrasse shipment this Thursday, but I don't know if there's any species that would: 1. Comfortably fit in a nano 2. Not eat the inverts 3. Not stress out easily.

So I guess I'll wait. In the meantime, it's been exactly 15 days since I started this tank and no sign of diatoms yet, although I do have some mild traces of coralline accumulating on the rock surface. Hmm. Strange. Very strange.

So my cycle has finished after 19 days, which is good, but there are still no diatoms on the sandbed/rocks. However, there are telltale signs of coralline slowly encrusting on the rock, which is good.

I've decided to leave the tank for another week and stop ghost-feeding for the time being.

I'll grab a snail from my LFS next week and toss it in first. If everything is okay, then I'll add a bit more CUC, followed by the shrimp/goby pair, the other inverts and lastly the saron. Somewhere along the way I'll introduce a coral or two. I estimate the addition process to take another month or so.

In the meantime, I'm sourcing out mini maxi carpet nem suppliers in my state/out-of-state and making a list of reputable sellers first. I'll only place in an order sometime next month, and usually it can take anywhere between 3 months up to a year (or not at all) for a mini maxi to come in.

Anyone know of any small nems that won't run about the tank and get blended up by the wavemaker, that will be able to host nem shrimps and nem crabs, and that won't outgrow a 10G nano anytime soon? If you do, please let me know. RFAs are apparently not going to be imported for the next year either.

Also, a bit of bad news - my female white nem shrimp died. She was okay (but not 100% fine) yesterday morning but dead by evening. The other inverts and lone fish are doing well and eating. :tears:

Good news - the egg purse of my nem crab is developing quite well and becoming thicker. However, the female crab is showing minimal interest in food and appears to be content with guarding her eggs.

I dont know if rock flower anemones will host shrimp but it will not grow too big and it will not walk in to pumps.

Problem is RFAs will not (or may not at all) be in stock for the next year or so. Plus each RFA costs a minimum of RM 250 each. Some rare-colored ones can fetch up to RM 500. I don't feel like spending so much on one nem, tbh. I rather buy a few coral frags/colonies for the same amount.

Decided to binge on more Japanese food at a fancy restaurant in the mall. The bill nearly reached 3 figures for my little sis and I. :bling:

0c208282141f421dbc9c6fbfd9595bbb.png

But the food was delectable.

LFS has several rare wrasses this time around - Naoko, Orange back, Adornatus, Blue Flasher etc. among many others. All set at incredibly high prices. Cheapest fish is a sixline. :lol:

Inverts are doing fine - can't wait to add my first CUC next week (tester snail first). I think my goby/shrimp pair would love having a proper sandbed for once. Female crab rejected food yet again today evening - I think she's dead set on guarding her eggs. I isolated the Saron in the betta cup (not that he bothered anyone) just to let the crab feel more at peace. So far she's hounding the ceramic ornament in the tank with her mate.

Well, my male white spotted nem shrimp appeared to have vanished. I can't find him but I'm hoping he's either hiding next to the Pistol (which he does sometimes) or chilling out behind the filter foam intake.

On a sidenote, I baked my first ever cake today on my own - a lemon pound cake with citrus glaze and lemon syrup. The only time my mother pitched in was during glazing - she was literally bouncing up and down so I let her at it. Parents. :rolleyes:

c58f53fcfc3b4950a00fcfe96ff33ef7.png

And this was the cake when I first pulled it out of the oven:

bccfd21b0b0c44c883ec5fea7685b708.png

Took me the whole evening/early night to bake though. No one said grating lemons were easy. <_<

Finally found my white spotted nem shrimp - turns out he was chillin' upside down with his belly wagging and is now being hosted by my airstone. :lol:

Will proceed with another weekly WC for the QT today. Fun times ahead.

These two amigos peeking out from behind their ceramic shelter today:

ef96e7d04c2a4f5f936e1cfe5d9931bc.png

One of my porcelain nem crabs hosting the airstone :lol: :

2572a71c2c7a47b68880d7fc2d1829c8.png

Some terrible news though. My Saron suffered from a very, very bad molt (he was struggling to molt since last night) and finally passed away today evening with part of his carapace split open. And yes, he was dead - his feelers weren't twitching and his flesh had begun to turn pink.

I don't understand what went wrong because my Pistol has molted in this tank twice now - successfully, and so has one of my white spotted nem shrimps. My levels are also spot on and I'm keeping up with the WCs. Really, really bummed. :(

I'll see if the LFS has another leftover Saron which I can pick up.

I know I haven't updated for 4 days - but the day I posted the last update, I headed to the store to pick up another Saron and also 1 more fish which I promised I wouldn't get for this tank (but was very healthy and following my finger around like a little lost puppy dog):

d1078d73764e41c691bc02b6f1863c42.png

Interestingly, my Saron turns a dull shade of green in the dark - my first Saron many years ago used to turn bright red. The male shrimps are generally more vibrant in color and active during nighttime.

ccb08c57e2d74cc3bab8dfe2f020942e.png

The ornament is now hers:

b440bd82ea1d431498d591f00f0525ea.png

These two are still doing very well:

98e61211a2914008ba898a290ed83847.png

They're all in the QT. I also purchased a hermit crab and a turbo snail as CUC:

0f83837b84c54219aff79505b1463a93.png

And today I finally got a bit of macro (Halimeda - unsure if this one will survive since it was in poor shape) and flame titan and added them to the main DT:

dc88de363cd34836a25a4ea0d1ab905a.png

FTS on 9/9/2016.

66eba88d54014ac29ce7bf470ca01669.png

Also got my third fish - a very rare goldentail combtooth blenny/Enchelyurus flavipes (shellfish eater - so no clams in this tank) which is in the QT now:

f45159f22a404f70bc34e4d4fa8d4c59.png

My LFS brought in several cool fish too:

1. 1" stonefish.

aadee048f34041709a8de6ae4beb5090.png

2. 0.3" boxfish (so tiny that they put it in a cup because it might get sucked down the filter intake)

0c373b118e87434f84c10f9b911fa19d.png

If the crab and snail continues to do well in the tank for the next few days, I'll be picking up a Yuma as my first coral and transferring my white spotted nem shrimp and Saron in. Then wait a couple more days before I add the goby/pistol pair.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this but I'll still update anyway.

I finally brought home a Yuma (2 heads and 3 babies). It's a strange mix of yellow and green with purple around the edges. But it doesn't seem so thrilled over the flow in my tank - one of the heads is threatening to detach from the rock and flee for cover:

233899e4c3ac47bc93d7d66c099cebd4.png

Also, here's the Saron in the new tank. He's fine except for the part where he had diarrhea all over my sandbed and left a trail of poop everywhere. It was so bad that it took me 2 whole WCs to get most of the dirt out. Even then, there are remnants...everywhere. <_<

5d7bf70fb29a4f879904a543e4cee721.png

Also, everyone - meet Dale. Dale sent in a resume to apply as a part of the janitorial staff in the CUC unit of my nano. Dale has a wife and three hundred kids to feed, and insists I give him a job. I felt sorry for the little guy so I gave him a chance. But there is only one question that not even Dale could answer - do you know what is his species? Any ID help would be deeply appreciated since it would go on Dale's employee record.

d5a51b6d84b644498a33a576ba36ea6a.png

FTS at the moment.

eaa421e144fd4e119670594bb55374eb.png

I'll be adding the goby/pistol tomorrow. I added the White Spotted Nem shrimp alongside the Saron, but haven't seen him for the past 48 hours. I'm assuming the worst, but still hoping for the best.

I will be picking up a small leather toadstool and GSP in about a week or more.

Also, I realize that some folks might be confused as to why I picked a clownfish as the third fish when I was initially adamant of not having one. Well, this fish was at a discount of RM 40 and for some reason appealed to me compared to whatever else they had in stock. She's a bit skinny but I'm working on plumping her up. :happy:

And my salary for August finally, finally came in today so I treated myself out to lunch - Salmon Teriyaki Udon. You'd realize by now that I'm fond of Japanese cuisine. That, and Italian food.

213110412bd74af1b5a98f8384be8c40.png

Hope everyone had a great day.

~Snow

That new yuma should be a perfect alternative to the anemone you wanted. RFAs would be the best bet, but since you don't have them there yet, the yuma should be a nice substitute. My anemone crab hangs out in a fox coral. I don't think they really care as long as they have something to hide in.

Lots of cool updates in here :happydance:.

That new yuma should be a perfect alternative to the anemone you wanted. RFAs would be the best bet, but since you don't have them there yet, the yuma should be a nice substitute. My anemone crab hangs out in a fox coral. I don't think they really care as long as they have something to hide in.

Lots of cool updates in here :happydance:.

Thank you so much, Gena. In that case, do you think I should forgo the mini carpet nems entirely and focus on decorating the bridge with Yumas? Yumas can be pricey - depending on size and color. I saw an outstanding orange one today but it was the size of a postage stamp and costs RM 120. Very expensive at times.

Thank you so much, Gena. In that case, do you think I should forgo the mini carpet nems entirely and focus on decorating the bridge with Yumas? Yumas can be pricey - depending on size and color. I saw an outstanding orange one today but it was the size of a postage stamp and costs RM 120. Very expensive at times.

Well, mini carpet anemones are pretty cool. I personally wouldn't because they scare me LOL. I would worry too much about a fish getting stuck in them. Yumas, like most mushrooms, in a lot of cases, will detach from any spot you place them in. They seem to like to find THEIR perfect spot so forcing them into a position might be very difficult. In that case the mini nems would be easier, although they move too. Have you heard of anemone crabs hanging in mini carpet anemones? Seems like they would be too sticky for them, but maybe not???? Personally, I'd go for the yumas and hope they stay put :).

Well, mini carpet anemones are pretty cool. I personally wouldn't because they scare me LOL. I would worry too much about a fish getting stuck in them. Yumas, like most mushrooms, in a lot of cases, will detach from any spot you place them in. They seem to like to find THEIR perfect spot so forcing them into a position might be very difficult. In that case the mini nems would be easier, although they move too. Have you heard of anemone crabs hanging in mini carpet anemones? Seems like they would be too sticky for them, but maybe not???? Personally, I'd go for the yumas and hope they stay put :).

I had a green/yellow mini carpet for 2 years that was hosted by a nem crab for 1.5 years. I think the sole reason the crab survived that long in the first place was due to the carpet's existence. Based on my previous experience with carpet nems, once they find a place a settle down, they will stay put (usually).

I'll give the Yumas a try but even now, my current ones are midway through detaching. Moving them around doesn't seem to help - they're adamant on fleeing regardless. Traitors. <_<

Here was my previous crab on a mini carpet:

1ad89733ee0945b38ec45a3316afc6d4.png

Kinda miss him and the carpet. I sold them off to a lady and her husband who were just restarting the hobby. Makes me wish I had kept them somehow - that carpet grew from 0.75" to 3"++ in the space of 2 years.

Cool! I remember my sexy shrimp loved hanging out on the maxi mini anemones and they really seemed to stick to them so wasn't sure a crab could even move on one! I guess so :). Yeah, yumas/mushrooms can be a real pita with their detaching. If you aren't afraid for your fish, I'd go with the maxis..they seem like they'd be better behaved. I have that same type of crab and he loves hanging out and hiding in the folds of my fox coral :).

Cool! I remember my sexy shrimp loved hanging out on the maxi mini anemones and they really seemed to stick to them so wasn't sure a crab could even move on one! I guess so :). Yeah, yumas/mushrooms can be a real pita with their detaching. If you aren't afraid for your fish, I'd go with the maxis..they seem like they'd be better behaved. I have that same type of crab and he loves hanging out and hiding in the folds of my fox coral :).

I think any anemone shrimp/crab should be able to host a nem, but don't hold me to that. My yuma is still sulking and in mid-detach. I just hope it doesn't decide to stick at the back of the tank, where it can't be seen.

So far my fish seem large enough - 1" clown + 2.5" blenny + 2" goby (this lil' guy sticks at the very bottom and doesn't venture out too far - I just added him and the pistol yesterday morning) so I think it -should- be alright.

I didn't know the crabs liked fox coral. :o

Oh, and here's a small update on the goby and pistol - they just had to make a home under the rock facing the back of the tank (photographing them was a pain):

d60e9d406b8447dbad1a033258a954cc.png

686d08651b774fb5906b3e243ea6c594.png

:happy:

I didn't know the crabs liked fox coral. :o

They don't discriminate :). Someone else had one being hosted by SPS coral! And she has RFAs in her tank too! They really are my favorite type of crab. So easygoing.

They don't discriminate :). Someone else had one being hosted by SPS coral! And she has RFAs in her tank too! They really are my favorite type of crab. So easygoing.

Wow, SPS! And yes, they're pretty easy-going.

I do have a bit of bad news though - the big mama crab didn't make it. I moved her in a few hours after the goby/pistol but found her dead, clinging on to the underside of the arch. Thought it was a molt but I'm pretty sure it's solid flesh inside. She had lost a claw though - but I don't know who did it. The pistol/saron are the prime suspects but they're smaller in size. The second nem crab is doing well with no lost appendages.

Good news - I'll be picking up a Fire shrimp today at the LFS. Will send him to the QT though.

Wow, SPS! And yes, they're pretty easy-going.

I do have a bit of bad news though - the big mama crab didn't make it. I moved her in a few hours after the goby/pistol but found her dead, clinging on to the underside of the arch. Thought it was a molt but I'm pretty sure it's solid flesh inside. She had lost a claw though - but I don't know who did it. The pistol/saron are the prime suspects but they're smaller in size. The second nem crab is doing well with no lost appendages.

Good news - I'll be picking up a Fire shrimp today at the LFS. Will send him to the QT though.

Bummer...sounds like something beat her up! I am still fooled occasionally by a molt :). They can look so complete!

Archived