Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Snow's Bridge of Flowers

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool new additions!!!! I love that anemone crab :wub:.

Thank you. He's still lounging on the torch this morning - I think he's applying for long-term residency there. :lol:

I know little about them but that's cool to hear they change color like that.

I believe I saw my first dragonfaces around 2 years ago. However, those specimens were much larger and almost full-size. I was enamored by them and did my reading then, but didn't dare attempt it because it was a pipefish. Fast-forward to this year, I saw 4 specimens being sold at the LFS - smaller ones - and decided I might as well bite the bullet and take a chance by getting 3 of them. I would still not attempt to keep a seahorse though (even though their care requirements are similar) simply because I think/find them more challenging. I've seen how others struggle to keep them alive long-term, and yes, the work/preparation needed to feed them is tedious.

But I enjoy watching my dragons swim all over my tank - they're very curious critters. :wub:

Hi everyone. It has been an eventful and rather tiring four/five days. I had to tie up all the loose ends of my work since my contract expires end of this month, and the black capped caique chick I ordered has not arrived so I canceled my order. I hammered my seller for a refund and he only gave me 1K in return, I'm pressing him daily for the return of another 1K and hopefully I'll get my money back in full by the end of this week.

Back to reefing, I visited the LFS and saw the last pipefish still on sale and looking quite thin, so I asked the LFS if she was eating. The girl was so dumbfounded when I told her that they still have one pipefish left - she told me she sold the entire batch off to me 3 weeks ago, but I told her no - look at that (points at tiny 3" skinny dragon) and she was clueless. She told me she hasn't fed that tank for 3 weeks because she assumed nothing was in it! :furious:

So I said I'm taking the last dragon home, and she gave me a discount for it.

I noticed this little one was a girl, and she wasn't eating or moving around much. My father suggested I add her into the tank directly after 2 days of purchasing her, and I reluctantly did. It paid off. She found the other 3 dragons and has been tailing them relentlessly. And she also took in a bit of crab roe last night, some frozen BBS today, and is very active and moving about all around the rocks and tank. I think you really need to keep them in small groups - they seem very social to me. All four of them now curl up together on the GSP when the lights are off for the night, and they even 'hunt' as a team. It's an amazing thing to watch.

419d6396ca154af0a698781c884ad355.png

I've pegged off 3 of the 4 as females based on the orange spots and lack of claspers in their underbelly - I suspect the fourth might be female as well.

I gave them names. :blush:

So here we go:

This is the smallest and presumably the youngest at 3", which I recently pulled out from the LFS. She is actually the most beautiful out of the four with strong red lines and black and white striations throughout her body. I named her Luna. :wub:

41d1693421384959add090874b8f7082.png

This is a slightly larger female - almost 3.5" but not quite there yet. Her striations are a unique black and gold (yes, it is gold - I'm not kidding - my phone's camera can't get a decent pic of it unfortunately) and the lines around her face are sharp and horizontal. I named her Giselle.

c0fedd05fa9340c29916d37218c64638.png

This is the second largest female - a nice 3.5". Her face has nice 'scribbles' all over it and her snout is mildly pink. Her body is saddled, but very lightly. I named her Hannah.

0b559627985448448d96b24bfb388fc1.png

This is my largest and thickest female at a good ++3.75". She's mostly gray and white with a dark pinkish-red snout, and very prominent ridges running down her back. I named her Andromeda.

6f270727a8bf4a8b89bc4c79bee904be.png

I have also added my blenny to the tank - so far no issues yet with him and the dragons. My corals are growing pretty quickly and decently - my chalice has gained 0.5" in this past week+ and my toadstool has gained 1" in circumference from when I first got it. I dose Continuum Ocean Snow and Continuum kH Alkanity Buffer liquid once every three days. And I feed my tank heavily around once to twice a day, mostly alternating between frozen BBS, frozen BS, frozen mysis and frozen roe. Occasionally I feed Hikari Marine S pellets.

However, I do have a bit of sad news. Remember the sea turtle I posted about a few pages back? It was still on sale but very ill last week. I told the LFS that it was sick and needed help, but they refused to listen. The poor thing died and was floating lifelessly in a shallow display tank the day I picked up Luna from the store. I finally got the full story from a guy who was hanging around the store - he used to work at a different branch of this same LFS, and he told me that actually a customer ordered a sea turtle from them and didn't pick it up when it arrived. So essentially, thanks to one buyer's demand and one LFS's attempt at profiteering, one baby turtle lost its life. R.I.P. little guy. :tears:

Sad thing about the turtle but glad the last fish of the group is with the others. No doubt it was probably depressed with no one around.

Sad thing about the turtle but glad the last fish of the group is with the others. No doubt it was probably depressed with no one around.

Yes, they're definitely very social creatures. And they're quite passive as well - wonderful creatures to have in an aquarium. :happy:

I believe I saw them at a public aquarium.

I haven't seen this type in public aquaria before, just stores selling them. But I have seen ponies and multi-banded pipes in aquaria, and wild shrimpfish in a lagoon once. That was a truly wonderful experience.

Maybe that's what I'm getting confused with, the multi-banded pipes. Do they need a deep sand bed? i think I've gotten it all mixed in my head now.

Maybe that's what I'm getting confused with, the multi-banded pipes. Do they need a deep sand bed? i think I've gotten it all mixed in my head now.

My sandbed is only 1.5" thick - but I presume a DSB would be good in aiding nutrient export. I'm compensating by using a lot of Chaeto and skimming to the max instead. So far everything seems to be in equilibrium, so I'm not going to add any other fish or inverts to the tank for some time - I might pick up some gorgs and acans though. :D

Hello! So off to a few updates - been busy trying to finish my writing and paid little attention to the tank for the last few days (except feeding - I always overfeed so that the pipes have a chance to eat).

My Saron unfortunately had a terrible molt yesterday and didn't pull through. He was horribly deformed - most of his new legs were 'shorter' or extremely thin/shaped wrongly. He was flat on my sandbed and barely kicking - less than half an hour after I found him that way, he had died. :tears:

I couldn't pinpoint the problem - I thought it might be a water quality issue but the parameters were within acceptable range. Nevertheless, I did do a 25% WC today just in case.

Just a quick thing that I'd like to share - my dragons appear to really like flatworms. I have a small population of Acoel flatworms (I used to have a few of those nasty red ones too, but it appears they have been wiped out) that like feeding on the diatoms of the tank's glass walls. The population is sporadic - there is a time when there can be several dozen of them, and then it dips down for a day or two, and then bounces back up again. I have seen Andromeda, my largest female, snick them several times.

I also have several short videos of them hunting for shredded brine and mysis but the quality isn't great and my fan is obnoxiously loud, so I'm still debating if I should post them up.

Oh, and here's something I found in the wet market today while I was going shopping with my mom:

b11bcdb2748d4398ad38933ebd5d3daf.png

It's a Pike Eel (Muraenesox bagio). Quite popular ingredient in fishballs. B)

Also - for those of you actively reading this, I want your opinions (lurkers are welcome to contribute too):

I'm thinking of starting a second marine tank next year. It will either be a 16G long or 30G high. I'm exploring all sorts of possible setups, biotopes and doing as much research as possible. What sort of 'general' setup do you think I should go with?

1. Mini predator setup (lionfish)
2. Mini predator setup (snowflake eel or golden moray eel)
3. Mini predator setup (two small puffer species)
4. Mini predator setup (stonefish and weedy scorpionfish)
5. Indo-Pacific Macroalgae biotope (Dragonets/Pipefish)
6. Mantis Shrimp (Peacock mantis + 1 damsel)
7. Indo-Pacific Biotope (Gobies and blennies)

Let me know what you genuinely think. It will probably be at least six months or so before I get the second tank - I'm still taking a lot of pleasure in my current one and would love another nano. :happy:

where are you that they are even allowed to sell sea turtles? All species in the US are protected. You are not allowed to even touch them! All are endangered some species critically1

where are you that they are even allowed to sell sea turtles? All species in the US are protected. You are not allowed to even touch them! All are endangered some species critically1

I'm located in Malaysia. We have conservation laws, but with the country being the way it currently is, I think protecting wildlife is the last thing on the government's mind right now. And yes, all our turtle species are protected. :rant: I don't know which species this one was - but it was such a tragic experience to witness a baby one die due to someone else's demand for something exotic. I keep exotics myself, but my animals are licensed - I'm still working on getting my permit done for my sun conure. Keeping exotics needs to come with a certain degree of responsibility - something that I'm seeing less and less of in the past two years or so. Too much demand and too many underground and black markets paint an ugly picture indeed.

I love your new pipefish and I am glad that you were able to rescue the 4th. What a bonus that they like flatworms!

Thank you, Dawn. :flower: I was so nervous - I'm still terrified at the idea of keeping seahorses (someone suggested that I should give them a try should I succeed in keeping my pipes) and I did take a leap of faith in trying to feed these four lovely girls. And yes, I'm happy I got the fourth - little Luna is an active little bumblebee in my tank and loves perching on the rock and corals when she's not looking for food.

Quick question though - would getting gorgs for the pipes be a good thing? I'm not sure if my dragons 'hitch' onto stuff, but I have seen their tails occasionally wrapped around smaller pieces of coral or outcrops of the arch.

Thank you, Dawn. :flower:

Quick question though - would getting gorgs for the pipes be a good thing? I'm not sure if my dragons 'hitch' onto stuff, but I have seen their tails occasionally wrapped around smaller pieces of coral or outcrops of the arch.

I do not think that your pipes would utilize gorgs the way their 'cousin' seahorses do so unless you just like gorgs, I would not bother. I have heard that most pipes like ledges and overhangs to hover underneath. I never noticed my pipefish under the overflow box so it might only be certain species too.

I do not think that your pipes would utilize gorgs the way their 'cousin' seahorses do so unless you just like gorgs, I would not bother. I have heard that most pipes like ledges and overhangs to hover underneath. I never noticed my pipefish under the overflow box so it might only be certain species too.

Yes, they love the underside of the arch. Sometimes they drape themselves over the rockwork so that it appears as if they are 'hanging' - it's quite amusing to watch really. My second smallest female, Giselle, developed a mysterious brown spot on her back today. I'm hoping and praying it's just dirt/debri, and not the beginning of an infection or worse. :scarry: Either way, I'll try to get some Pimafix just in case tomorrow.

I think furan2 or triple sulfa would be more effective if it is infection. They need to be in a QT but I just use a 5 gallon salt bucket with an open airline pump. I do a 50% WC every day and follow the directions on the package. My gut instinct says it probably is an infection from your description.

I think furan2 or triple sulfa would be more effective if it is infection. They need to be in a QT but I just use a 5 gallon salt bucket with an open airline pump. I do a 50% WC every day and follow the directions on the package. My gut instinct says it probably is an infection from your description.

Noted on all accounts - in that case, do I treat all four of them at a go in the QT, even if the other three hasn't shown any external symptoms? I will pick up furan 2 or triple sulfa tomorrow as suggested - thank you very much, Dawn. I do have a 5G QT with a HOB filter - I'll move Giselle in tomorrow morning (it's close to 11pm over here, and they're all curled up and resting on the GSP - I might stress her out if I move her now).

Probably not a good thing - but Andromeda has also developed a brown blemish on the lower end of her body (just checked) so definitely picking up meds tomorrow. The only thing that changed these last few days was a regular WC, cleaning of the skimmate/skimmer and changing of the filter floss. Something might have gone out of whack there. Sensitive creatures these dragons are, indeed. Hmm.

Here we are no longer permitted to import wild caught parrots but most species ( if not all) are available captive bred. I have no problem with responsible ownership of exotics. The sea turtle would break my heart

Noted on all accounts - in that case, do I treat all four of them at a go in the QT, even if the other three hasn't shown any external symptoms? I will pick up furan 2 or triple sulfa tomorrow as suggested - thank you very much, Dawn. I do have a 5G QT with a HOB filter - I'll move Giselle in tomorrow morning (it's close to 11pm over here, and they're all curled up and resting on the GSP - I might stress her out if I move her now).

Snow, I would only treat the pipes with the symptoms. Moving into QT is stressful and if an animals immunity can fight off bacteria that is all well and good. I would go ahead and do some husbandry and a water change to possibly improve water quality. That wont hurt anything if you do it and can possibly help if there is a bed of detritus fueling bad bacteria.

Here we are no longer permitted to import wild caught parrots but most species ( if not all) are available captive bred. I have no problem with responsible ownership of exotics. The sea turtle would break my heart

Here is a mix, unfortunately. Some of the birds come from local breeders (I made sure both my parrots did) but some are smuggled. Sometimes the only way to tell whether you have an illegal animal or not is to meet up with the 'breeder' directly (not the middleman) or talk to other owners who have purchased from the same breeder to see if he/she is legit. And yes, the turtle incident did break mine too. :(

Snow, I would only treat the pipes with the symptoms. Moving into QT is stressful and if an animals immunity can fight off bacteria that is all well and good. I would go ahead and do some husbandry and a water change to possibly improve water quality. That wont hurt anything if you do it and can possibly help if there is a bed of detritus fueling bad bacteria.

Noted - I'll move Giselle and Andromeda to the QT today. Good news is that they both are still active and eating, and I managed to get some Furan today. I'll do a WC again every three days once over the next two weeks or so to suck out any detritus. After I've purchased the Nassarius, the sandbed has been relatively clean since it stirs it quite well, but there might be some icky stuff still trapped underneath.

Quick update - not sure what happened, but both the blemishes on my dragons vanished on its own by midday today. I've decided not to transfer them to the QT since this might stress them out - plus they are still very mobile and actively eating. I will still keep doing WCs to make sure the water is as clean as possible.

Few quick updates - Luna (my youngest pipe) perished yesterday evening. She didn't eat at all in the QT, and was very stressed - all my Pipes were, and I made a decision to move them back yesterday morning. Luna didn't make it, unfortunately. But my remaining three girls are going strong and eating vigorously - almost as if making it up for that time when they hardly ate while they were sick. Their blemishes are gone and they're moving about normally.

Also, I purchased my first three SPS pieces - radioactive birdsnest, red monti, red monti with green spots.

1. Red monti with green spots.

69cf8b88f759454bb38e26e28b9bab08.png

2. Red monti.

23f563577bb94eb5b945135fbb7d5fd3.png

3. Birdsnest.

7849c47154ad4aaca3e5d8232dee767a.png

4. Indo-Pacific flower nem (hitchiker).

be7790ad1563455ead03c328665cb0c0.png

5. Topshot FTS on 14/11/2016.

2d5c75da9af54872aeddd609a076eaaf.png

My apologies for not being online sooner. I was very, very busy getting the cover for my novel finalized. I believe FlowerMama has seen it already. I still have to get a few more chapters out of the way, get my manuscript edited/polished and hire a proper agent first, but I'm taking it one step at a time. As such, I can't devote too much attention to my tank over the next few months - not until the manuscript has been completed. To date, I've only written down slightly over 80K words, and have a good 90K+ or so left to go.

If anyone has any good suggestions on what sort of beginner-level SPS I can keep, I'm all ears. Don't mind getting another frag or two (in the next month or so).

Archived